Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any Recomendations on Outdoor Surveillance Cameras? >

Any Recomendations on Outdoor Surveillance Cameras?

Notices

Old 05-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

God Bless our past and present military members and their families- hope all enjoyed their weekend!

We have been thinking about adding a couple of surveillance cameras to the exterior of an outbuilding on our property. Note: building has zilch electrical access on exterior. Have looked at some of the basic cameras and camera systems at Lowe's, Tiger Direct, Best Buy, and a couple of online sites and have learned enough to be confused. Not planning on tying cameras into existing monitored security system- just looking for something to add a few clues in case of vandalism or a break-in.

Pretty small list of requirements- color video in daylight or night, motion triggered, 75' video range, enough resolution to read license plate at 50' feet if light allows, don't think pan/tilt or other extras are needed. Would prefer minimal cabling to & from camera and don't know enough to have a preference on connection type ie- BNC, network, Wi-Fi, radio, etc...

My ideal solution if they make it would be a solar powered motion operated security light with video camera that feeds to a hidden flash card or hard drive. Do they make solar powered video cameras? Do I really need a DVR/Head unit?

Any suggestions on forums to read and learn, feedback on different hardware you have used and liked or disliked?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Rick

Last edited by Powerquest230; 05-26-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: ..
Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You may want to try to give ADT a call. They might have something that would fit the bill

3pointstar
Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use revo at my house and it is very easy to install. Revo will also sell direct. They have audio which most systems do not because of state laws. I do not recommend buying a monitor and the cables though them. Buy a tv from whoever and you can use cat 5 and telephone connectors. Best invest I have ever made to my home.