Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning >

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Notices

LOTO MSWP Man Overboard Drowning

Old 09-12-2014, 02:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yes he failed!!! He cuffed someone who was intoxicated, then slipped a pfd over the top of his body incorrectly. It's going to come off just as easy as it slid on. He may as well put nothing on the kid, or tied a anchor to his ankle. ....

the officers job is to make it home to his family alive.
Agreed, but Please. .......he was doing water patrol on loto and dealing with some corn fed college kid. Not exactly south central l.a. here.....

diving into a lake with gear on isn't a good idea agreed. But is that gear bolted onto the officers body or can he remove it given the circumstances? ????? If he saw a 10 year old little girl struggling to swim that day would he say in his report " I noticed the girl gasping but didn't assist because I'm wearing my gear, I instead called xxx beach lifeguards"

But furthermore all that aside if the leo had correctly installed the pfd he could have just circled the boat back and picked up the suspect. .........he'd be there floating like a bobber. That right there IS NOT DEBATABLE! !!!!!!

I'm done here cuz clearly there's divided sides on this one and I don't want to argue with leo because they are always right

Last edited by scarab63; 09-12-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

This whole story makes my blood boil. The prosecutor is turning a blind eye and not presenting all the evidence. She stated that there was no recklessness? and could not find negligence? Maybe she should look!

You morons can argue all you want that it was kid breaking the law...yes he did as I have done many time and many different ways. When in custody the agency/state is responsible for that person, period. Now it is somehow convenient to leave out evidence. This panned out about like I thought it would at this point.

You will see his family heavily compensated, still all the money in the world wont bring that kid back.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=03 SONIC;4186944]
Originally Posted by ondtip
You make us look bad. Obviously you didn't care for the people you served if this is your attitude toward this guy. I run calls on people that make bad decisions all the time, job security. My job, and your job, is to prevent further injury and start the process of recovery and healing before they get to the hospital. It doesn't matter if they are drunk, stoned, or stupid. We are there to protect lives and save property. The officer's job was to protect this man and the public. He failed.[/QUOTE

HE FAILED? If the kid did jump from the boat it is not the officers responsibility to jump in after him. The officers job is to make it home to his family alive. Kid goes in and doesn't come up call the dive team. Sound harsh but it what is taught and trained. Diving into a lake with gear on is not a good idea. If what's been reported is true then good job on the officers part. Like I have said you live with the choices you make.
He did fail, Miserbly. How much fukking training do you need to know how to CORRECTLY put on a pfd? If a family was pulled over in a pontoon and a 3yr old had his life jacket on wrong this same officer would have noticed and done something. You are an idiot.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=JRider;4187102]
Originally Posted by 03 SONIC

He did fail, Miserbly. How much fukking training do you need to know how to CORRECTLY put on a pfd? If a family was pulled over in a pontoon and a 3yr old had his life jacket on wrong this same officer would have noticed and done something. You are an idiot.
Maybe you or your loved ones can be the next to be killed by one these drunk *******s hopefully its you!!!! Another key board tuff guy calling names because you see it differntly than someone else. If you feel so strongly about LEO why dont you tell one of the water patrol guys what idiots they are next time you see one you chicken ****.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=03 SONIC;4187146]
Originally Posted by JRider

Maybe you or your loved ones can be the next to be killed by one these drunk *******s hopefully its you!!!! Another key board tuff guy calling names because you see it differntly than someone else. If you feel so strongly about LEO why dont you tell one of the water patrol guys what idiots they are next time you see one you chicken ****.
Me or my family has nothing to do with my previous statement, why would you even try to bring them into it? And to wish death upon me...you are really are an idiot. And to answer your question on confronting any LEO, it has been my lawyers advice to avoid them at all costs and not to even speak to them unless absolutely necessary. If you have not noticed, even if it is an officers fault, its still somehow someone elses fault...that is just the way it works. LEO=untouchable
Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

There doesn't seem to be much gray area here and everyone has their opinion and nothing anyone posts is going to change anyone else's mind,...............there's only one thing I can add, then I'll shut up, I've been boating on LOTO for over 40 since the late 60s and things have definitely changed the last ten years or so, many more bigger and faster boats and the WP have been much more active with the sobriety checks and there doesn't seem to have been any change in the amounts of alcohol related accidents one way or another, you would think the way the WP treats LOTO that there's tons of drunk boaters all ramming into each other, I think it's just the contrary, I rarely see stupid things happening due to alcohol by actual boat owners, now rent-a-boaters, that's different, but 99% of the boat owners I know are responsible and are careful and take great care when they're on the water.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered

You may be a little bias. I have no problems talking to cops but then again I have never needed a lawyers advice before speaking to anyone, so i am not sure about that always right statement. One thing I have noticed is that criminal= always right in most of these stories as of late (Ferguson comes to mind). It always seems to be someone elses fault when the person in trouble wants to act like an azz and ends up on the short end of the stick. As far as me wishes death on you that was a little over the line, sorry. If the those 3 ladies in you avatar are family also that would be a huge loss to the boating community and we cant have that. You see it one way, I see it another lets leave it at that. If there is one thing we have learned from this thread it is that you can't swim while handcuffed. Enjoy the rest of your boating season.

Last edited by 03 SONIC; 09-12-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If text below is accurate, I don't believe he jumped. If you are hitting tall waves, going 40 MPH in a small boat, sitting down being handcuffed behind your back, I for sure would not be comfortable. It could be a perfectly natural reaction to protect yourself to stand up, only problem is he is intoxicated, and it is difficult to hold onto anything when being handcuffed behind the back, so I think he simply lost balance and went overboard.

With Ellingson beside him, Piercy sped toward the zone office. At the 3.5-mile mark of the Gravois Arm, they encountered tall waves.

“I made the comment to him,” Piercy said. “I said, ‘There’s some big waves coming.’ I said, ‘I’m going to slow down, so don’t lean forward and hit your head.’”

He said that another passenger the previous week had hit his head on a computer on the boat’s console.

“The first wave hits the boat as we were sitting down, and we roll over the wave and go down into the … bottom.”

“Trough,” Johnson interjected.

“Yeah, I don’t know the nautical term, but we go down to the bottom of the wave and the second wave is about ready to hit the boat.

“At this time, Mr. Ellingson stands up out of the seat beside me …”

He left the boat. Piercy said he reached for Ellingson, but “I was unsuccessful in getting a hand on him.”

Johnson asked, “Did he jump over? Or did he fall over?”

Piercy: “I don’t know. I’ve, believe me, played this scenario through my mind a million times, and I don’t know. All I know is he’s beside me, and then he’s not.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/state...#storylink=cpy
Old 09-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

When I look at just the facts 2 things are clear.

The officer did his job by removing a potential threat.

The officer did not do his job when transporting the suspect in a safe manner.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Registered

Maybe, in the future, the WP should have two officers on the patrol boat at all times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.