Notices

Chesapeake Bay Visit

Old 08-20-2002, 02:34 PM
GMScott

Default Chesapeake Bay Visit

Bringing boat down from SE PA with a newbie crew member to spend a week on the northern part of the bay or elsewhere depending on the feedback from y'all. Looking for suggestions as to where to stay (reasonable) and most importantly where decent transient dockage and launch ramp might be found. Heading down Monday night Sept. 9th and staying thru to Sunday the 15th.

Crew member has been searching the web looking for places that meet my nautical requirements. She found a Lowes Wharf & Marina that looked good on the web site. Any one have any feedback about Lowes? Or any other similar type places?

Thanks for your response.
GMScott

Old 08-20-2002, 06:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baltimore has dockage in the Inner Harbor for about a buck a foot and there are all sorts of things to do and see in the harbor. Annapolis also has moorings at 20 bucks a day or slips at about a buck and a half a foot. Rock Hall has several nice marinas and a town dock. St Michaels has the Harbour Inn-2.50 a foot but a really nice place. Tolchester marina is real nice-don't know their rates.

It all depends on how much traveling you want to do.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll suggest Kent Narrows. Fairly easy trailering destination and LOTS to do in the area even if you don't want to travel long distances by water. Marinas all around (no personal recommendation) and some Hotels within walking distance of the water. The following areas are within a 30- 45 minute run with your Formula:

Chester River and tributaries
Baltimore/ Inner Harbor
Magothy River
Fairlee Creek (Jellyfish Joel's!)
St. Michaels/ Wye River (not to be missed!)
Annapolis
Tilghman Island/ Oxford/ Tred Avon River

It all really depends on what you want to do: sightseeing/ cruising or shopping/ barhopping. A week really isn't enough to see everything!

I'm up at the far Northern end (Havre de Grace), and would recommend some places there, but there's definitely more going on down around the Narrows! If you decide to stay around the Northern end, let us know- quite a few OSO regulars lurk these pages and will help you find what you need.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Here's more:

Make sure you have charts or a chart book.

Check also:

http://www.chesapeake.by-the-sea.com/
http://www.chesapeakeboaters.com/top1.htm
http://www.thebayguide.com/
http://www.chesapeake-bay.com/
http://www.thechesapeakebay.com/index.php
http://www.boatered.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=11

I boat out of Havre de Grace, which is a nice visit, but a bit off the beaten path. I think that the Sassafras River is very nice, with good marinas in Georgetown (like Skipjack Cove), and nice protected creeks for relaxing (Back Creek, Lloyd's Creek). In the same area is Cabin John Creek, Still Pond, Whorton Creek and, of course, Fairlee Creek with the (in) famous Jellyfish Joels and Great Oak Marina. Where you go depends on several factors:
[list=1][*]What type/size of boat?[*]What ameneties does it have - sleeping, etc. [*]Looking for "big-city exctiement" or quiet scenery?[*]How much running around are you willing to do?[/list=1]

The Bay is huge and offers just about everything. I'll probably be "out and about" on Friday (13th!!!), but we're headed for Cape May on the 14th/15th..
Old 08-20-2002, 11:18 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep us posted GM. We'll keep an eye out for ya. Tons of things to do, as you have already heard. I am out of Port Deposit, just north of Havre De Grace. If you venture out stay in the channels in the upper bay.
Old 08-21-2002, 10:43 AM
GMScott

Default Chesapeake Bay Visit

Thanks for all the replies. So many things to do and so little time!! I don't care what I'm doing as long as I'm on the water everything is OK by me. I'm basically looking for some scenic cruising, check out some of the bad-a*s Bay powerboats and some mild night-time partying. Not into the "city" scene, however I'm sure I'll have to put in the mandatory "shopping" time somewhere to keep the crew (female) happy.

Having no experience with the Chesapeake area I think we're narrowing down the many choices to either Fairlee Creek or Kent Narrows for our first adventure. The crew will be checking all your recommendations on the web.

Thanks again, maybe we will meet some OSO members. We'll be in a 252 SS Formula. I'll see if I can get some one to help me with getting a picture of the boat scanned so I can post it.

Jerry

Old 08-21-2002, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

'Ya know Jerry, there's 2 whole weekends before your trip. The upper Bay is only an hour drive from Pottstown. Maybe you should consider a 1 day excursion down here to see what it's all about. If we know when you're coming, I'm sure a few of us can plan to be around for a little meet-and-greet. I might even be able to find an old copy of the "Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay" for you! BTW-HdG has a decent launch ramp at their Municipal Marina (Tydings Park). I'm at slip #406.

C-Spray makes a good point- make sure you have up to date charts! There's so many great places to go, but some of them can be tricky to navigate. I don't mean to scare you, but without that information, you'd be asking for trouble. We all want your first Bay experience to be a good one!
Old 08-21-2002, 08:40 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cripes, GMScott! I just noticed....

You live about 10 miles from where I work. Take 422 West to Exeter, and turn left (South) on Lincoln Drive (Taco Bell on the corner), go .9 miles, and you're at my office. I'm out of town until next week, but I'll be in my office next Thursday morning until noon if you can stop by. I'm leaving next Friday for a boating trip to Virginia Beach and back (the entire length of Chesapeake Bay!).