Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
TRS.....the hidden secret to big power drives......... >

TRS.....the hidden secret to big power drives.........

Notices

TRS.....the hidden secret to big power drives.........

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default TRS.....the hidden secret to big power drives.........

Not sure if any of you are on Facebook, in the powerboat swap shop, but jesus man. I get heartburn reading some of the Bull****tt on there! Today some guy asks about TRS drives, and how much power they could handle. You have guys in there stating things like "800HP all day", "had them behind 900's no issues", "1000HP if easy out of the hole",

Some of the ****tt I read over there is flat out scary.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1017..._comment_reply
Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm surprised 315duramax phil Hess hasn't commented yet....he's an expert restoring old cigs....his boat customizing shop must know a thing or two about how strong a TRS drive is....
Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My personal favorite:

"My smallblock has developed a knock and has no compression in one cylinder, can I keep running it?"

And the response is something like this:

"Could be something as simple as "spark knock also known as detonation" caused buy low octane fuel. Try using a higher octane, ethanol free gasoline. Pour a cup of denatured alcohol into the fuel tank to remove moisture and water. I also like Marval Mystery Oil in the fuel to clean and lubricate the fuel system."

Yeah, that's it. Put the octane to it, that will heal up that dead hole.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Good read though thanks for the laugh!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Not sure if any of you are on Facebook, in the powerboat swap shop, but jesus man. I get heartburn reading some of the Bull****tt on there! Today some guy asks about TRS drives, and how much power they could handle. You have guys in there stating things like "800HP all day", "had them behind 900's no issues", "1000HP if easy out of the hole",

Some of the ****tt I read over there is flat out scary.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1017..._comment_reply
I would worrie more about the merc trans then the drive..a heavy boat like your excaliber and formula yes your going to distroy them but on a 311 they might last longer..had a friend that beat the sh!t out of his wigh 600 hp BB..hell i have put a 600 hp blower motor through my volvo and it survived for 10 yrs..
Old 06-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
I would worrie more about the merc trans then the drive..a heavy boat like your excaliber and formula yes your going to distroy them but on a 311 they might last longer..had a friend that beat the sh!t out of his wigh 600 hp BB..hell i have put a 600 hp blower motor through my volvo and it survived for 10 yrs..
I'm all about drinking the TRS kool-aid. They are about the only mechanical things that haven't broken on my boat. Plus with the velvet drives they shift, well, velvety. I don't know what the horsepower limit to them is, but I know I will never find it with this boat. I only wish they didn't drag so bad, this boat is a pig on fuel.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "swap shop" has turned into nothing but BS anymore. It was started as a place to buy and sell. Greg has tried to keep it under control, but it would seem no one can read the rules. So it has turned into a Q & A page along with a few for sale ads here and there.......... I enjoyed it when it was just stuff for sale.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

You read my mind Joe, these guys on LameBook are something else.. the secret to making a TRS drive live behind 1000hp is ...hold on..heres the big secret... "common sense" , same guy has a machinist buddy making better gears for TRS drives .
30mpg 6.0l Diesels are common place too .. I`m just too dumb and not "mechanically inclined" to know how to get 28mpg+ gas mileage out of a diesel.

WTF!?!

Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
Sure they can hold up to 600hp if driven responsibly. But these facebook experts are claiming 900-1000hp. That's just ridiculous .

Where I boat, sometimes you just can't help but be hard on the drives. When your coming home and a storm kicks the lake up to 6 fters it will take its toll on the drives. 400hp or 600hp, they are getting much more of a beating than running down a lake where the props leave the water maybe once a summer. On the big lakes your props might leave the water 100 times in one weekend.