Notices

STEVE1 Please help!!

Old 08-21-2002, 10:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default STEVE1 Please help!!

Well now you have seen what is up with my boat. I was resanding the bottom to get it better and have it re-sprayed and when I got the the last 6 feet of the bow under the chine (the bottom) and all of the sudden the paper started to clog. Then I pushed hard with my fingure and it left a mark on the paint. So I looked around and found soft paint in a couple spots. I think that they vast majority of the boat is ok. I am really trying hard to be optomistic and hope that it is just the one area. I did sand through in a couple places when I was trying to get the bottom flatter and I did not have any problems. It seems to be just in this one area. It is so wierd I am baffled. The only thing that I can think of is that this part of the boat was in the sun is the part that I have this problem. HOWEVER on the sides they seem to be ok. But man I am thinking this is going to require a complete stip down. I got the product from Composits 1 and the gell is cooks and I used Durrateck with is. The hardener was mixed in by the gun in front of the tip in the air. What do you think?

Jon
Old 08-22-2002, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jon
Sorry I was real-estate shopping Listen what did you use to Spray? External mix sometimes you get what I term a “Streaky Cure” But saying that I use a Binks Gun with a side Mek Spray! With that I have learned over the years to make 4 Passes .to avoid the above. On small Items!

On Production I Have a Venus Internal Mix spray Rig (The Best on earth) Look Locate the unreacted areas by simple hand contact then give an Acetone wipe!

You may get Lucky and just have the uppermost few mills wipe off!

You cannot just retop the existing as the new spray up will not Spike down far enough to cure the lower Mass. Without First determining the extent of the Problem and wiping it off with the miracle solvent Acetone!

The truth is a respray in worst case over the former uncured areas! Is not a big deal unless its spotty all around the entire boat !

Now I even with the Duratec I use a little wax 2 reasons the first is that is gives a Dry surface the second it lubes the sand paper a Little , I use fast Lacquer thinner, Also down South here in the Humidity I Sometimes use Acetone sometimes as it will give some Lengthened gel/Pot time

I spray a lot of the Stuff usually Hot Potting on a large job I place one of my brothers batching with an Air Mixer.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:00 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve1 thank you for your input. I am off now to go look at the thing in the light and have him go over the whole boat to make sure it is located to this one area. I about lost it last night. He did use a external mix gun (mixed the hardener in the air in front of the gun) and I do remember from time to time the thing would beep and I recal that in this area of the boat it beeped a lot I later asked him what the beep sound was and he said it ment that the hardener was not mixing but he did not seem concerned about it as like you said he made multiple passes. Well wish me luck I hope it is just located to this one area. Seems to be. I will have him do the work to get the crap off and make sure it is ok before we put the new stuff on. I think this one was his fault.

Jon
Old 08-22-2002, 08:28 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone on the board able to translate Fiberglassian into English??? I would really like to know what Steve said in that last post ????
Old 08-22-2002, 02:42 PM
Rick252

I usually just shake the can a little longer

Old 08-22-2002, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wipe it off with a solvent like acetone,
try it again with more hardner
see what happens

Audio = what the beeping was not hardner mixing with the gel

Steve1 = no but do it a few times and dont worryabboutit

Audio = if it continues to stay soft and not harden?

Steve1 = wipe it off with a solvent like acetone and start over

Audio = thanks bub!

Steve1 = no reply as yet to say your welcome

Sorry Jon, I could not resist
Good luck bro!
Old 08-22-2002, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jon Please Forgive my obvious lack of Manners you are very welcome! Any time!

Jay the beeping is a catalyst alarm (catalyst wrong word) but that’s they call them!
Old 08-22-2002, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I know I was just playing around
waiting to leave work in a few minutes to go get an EYE exam
Big whopptee doo there man!

Steve1 Plus I see your awful busy over on that damn apache thread. Getting annoying that every 30 seconds I get an email telling me someone replied
How long is that going to go until they up and wack it off the server?

Well Jon, Keep going (as we both have our issues) dont give up, never give up, and never enough!
GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO Git dat darun thang done now sun, wees gots ourselves sum boatin tu du befur da end of da schummmer there boy!

Jason

You stop sanding and im going to come up there and beat your ass !!!!
Finish it!

Jason