Tragic accident on Lake Conroe 7/1/14 >

Tragic accident on Lake Conroe 7/1/14

Notices

Tragic accident on Lake Conroe 7/1/14

Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dockrocker
I never did like night boating. I was always way too on edge to actually enjoy it.
I think everyone let their guard down because it was a Tuesday night. The lake is pretty quiet Monday thru Thursday. Friday to Sunday different story
Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
The problem with a dark night on Lake Conroe is the boat lights blend in with the house lights. You really have to pay attention if the moon is not bright.

RIP
This is exactly true. No elevations around the lake so boat lights really do just blend in with dock and house lights. Realized that years ago and that's why we never have music on or talk much if coming home at night on the lake, and we keep our eyes peeled at all times. Terrible accident. RIP.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by low_psi
It looks like the bass boat was moving at a pretty good clip. By the damage to the outboard bracket it looks like it passed right thru the white deck boat. Sounds like there may have been operator error on both boats. The deck boat for possibly not being properly lit (nav lights if under way, anchor light if stationary) and possibly excessive speed (for conditions) on the bass boat. Regardless of fault, definitely not good news at all. I enjoy boating at night. However I boat on the Detroit river and we have marked shipping channels so for the most part you basically have to just look ahead (since it's shallow outside of the shipping channels there shouldn't be traffic coming at you from the sides). When underway at night, I maintain just enough speed to stay on plane. Since we are out enjoying the evening, we aren't ever in a hurry.....

The part of the lake the incident happened is all built up, the boat's nav lights blend into the back ground so easy
its tough. I am not buying the late model Mariah did not have his lights on. The MCPR is great for local information but accuracy is not his their strong point.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting point of view the fishermen have.......pretty obvious the damage on the Mariah the bass boat was hauling a$$. Hell I am surprised the engine is still attached to the Skeeter. Very sad deal for all parties.
In my area the fishermen are always pissed at the other boats when they run thru a shipping channel on plane while these guys are fishing. Yet I seldom see the guys in the bass boats obey no wake zones, they usually come flying in to about 75' in front of the launch or their marina before they slow down, and a lot of them use their throttle like an on off switch. I am not saying they are purposely exhibiting dangerous behavior, I just don't think a lot of them know any better. I think a lot of them go buy a boat and dump it in and go fishing... I have said it before and I will say it again... I think there needs to be mandatory boating class and test for anyone operating a boat (regardless of age or precious experience). I will go even farther and say I think a renewal class should be taken every 5 years (maybe even sooner) to maintain your boating privileges. If you don't have the time for the class and test, well then you don't have time for boating!

Sorry for the rant. I know very little about the accident mentioned here, and I am not saying education or lack of, or reckless operation is the cause, nor am I pointing the finger at either boat/operator. I am simply responding/agreeing with the comment quoted above.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The part of the lake the incident happened is all built up, the boat's nav lights blend into the back ground so easy
its tough. I am not buying the late model Mariah did not have his lights on. The MCPR is great for local information but accuracy is not his their strong point.
Fair enough. I don't know the area at all. Either way, a terrible situation/story.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Registered

I live on the lake. Right down from one of the largest marinas. We often sit on the dock at night and talk. The night fishermen never use minimum planing speed. Always going at least 30-40 or more. Not saying they are WOT, but going way too fast for dark. IMO they think they know the lake so well they feel they are safe boaters. But if you can't see whats in front of you, how is it safe to go fast? And the report says they came from around a corner. Lights or no lights on the pleasure boat, apparently they were speeding into a blind spot.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now this is interesting - I assume these rules are for the lake in question? Been a while since I lived down that way.

(13) Operate any vessel at night, except emergency vessels, anywhere on the reservoir in a manner to exceed minimum planing speed (the minimum speed at which a vessel will achieve and maintain a level plane) during the period from one half-hour after sunset to one half-hour before sunrise.
From the pics, the "minimum planing speed" on that bass boat was 50+ mph...
Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Matthew Scogin
I live near and boat on Conroe very often. I heard about this first thing today and it is truly sad. It is very interesting how some folks just assume the bid bad performance boats are always the problem. I tried to show my perspective in post #10108691 in the thread below....

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...ed_in_boat_cra
That nut case on that other thread doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Performance boat owner/drivers, as a class, are the safest out there. I cannot even get my Fountain to stay on plane below about 25 MPH, so if out at night too bad we idle home just glad Lake Conroe is not too big. As my post above says, as a class, I would say hands down the most dangerous boater on Lake Conroe is a bass boater. Small, light, overpowered and overconfident, they never use minimun planing speed at night when they pass my house. Never.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been out on Conroe many times at night, boat lights blend in with shore lighting in a big way. Unless you have superior depth perception at a distance I can certainly see how an anchor light from a vessel not moving can be in danger of being hit. Even if I am stopped I still use my navigation lights so that at least another boater can see red or green. I know that's not right but I do.

In this case the authorities say the deck boat was going North and the bass boat going south-west, with this we know the bass boat had the right of way if both boats had lights on. However by the damage to the deck boat I can almost promise you the bass boat was going way beyond minimum planing speed. I'm sure they will look at everything from switch panels for last light switch position, to the angle of trim on the Yamaha V-Max to determine how fast it had to go to stay on plane with as much trim. They will figure it out but I'm speculating (and I probably shouldn't be) that both will be found at fault.

My thoughts and prayers for all of those involved.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lake Gaston is bad for "performance" bass boats.....and a ton of wake boats. Neither of them have much respect for other boaters in my opinion. Most of us here on the lake that have been into boating for years are pretty safe, however, with time and money it lets anyone in the boating market, these newbies as I call them are dangerous, they don't know the rules of the water period. I think its past time a Federal Boating Regulation comes into play for all....not saying its the case here, but I myself have seen several cases of it here locally in the past few trips to our lake. I love how those fishermen class a 300 HP jackplated 18 foot bullet as a fishing boat!!!!!!!! I still can't figure out why they need to run 75 to catch that bass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.