Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   go fast fundamentals (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/315149-go-fast-fundamentals.html)

way2fast 07-13-2014 05:23 PM

go fast fundamentals

couldn't find a thread like this but thought there might be a sticky one?? couldn't seem to find it
Obviously while some basic principles are all had in common with boats and hydro physics I think there are some things that are different with go fast boats…
I would like to talk about some principles/theories that change with power/prop type/ drives etc and to get drive my boat best…
Depending on your boat things can change a lot…?
a huge factor too is seas some of you lucky guys here are on lakes so you have fresh still calm mirror water often!
salt water in big slop is what some of us have to make do with or generally more rougher 2-3 water often!!
firstly with propping a lower pitch is going to provide better holeshot / acceleration while I higher one is better top speed?? also diameter blade no. and shape will affect this also
how about drive height?? where the leg is mounted on the transom deeper water is cleaner but more drag right?? trimming again depends on your boat and conditions what is generally best?? neutral I find for my boat
what do you think

bigboat28 07-13-2014 06:28 PM

"Still, calm mirror water" that water is no fun and makes your boat feel slow. All lakes are not smooth, Lake Erie gets very rough, 2-3 ft chop on Lake Erie is probably average for the island area on a weekend if not bigger.

Crude Intentions 07-13-2014 06:29 PM

Yes lower pitch better hole shot. Higher in theory better top end. Not if you go to big so your motor can't swing it. Deeper drive yes more drag will plane better. Shallower drive takes longer and tab to plane but reduced drag helps up top and cruise. To shallow and your surfacing and throwing blades. Too many blades your stressing the drive and increasing failure. As far as trim and tab every boat and every condition makes it different. It becomes a feel.

Indy 07-13-2014 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigboat28 (Post 4152387)
"Still, calm mirror water" that water is no fun and makes your boat feel slow.

"Still, calm mirror water" is misery. Maybe it's fun for the LakeShoreOnly.com but not here. August Dog Days on Long Island Sound were awful in the PowerPlay.

ratman 07-13-2014 08:32 PM

"some of you lucky guys here are on lakes so you have fresh still calm mirror water often!" you do realize this is an offshore boating forum don't you?... wtf

ratman 07-13-2014 08:36 PM

holy crap i just saw you have a cig mistress which was built to crush waves. i had one with a pair of 572 and #3 drives. i ran that boat in the biggest water i could find. i would go out in the gulf when they called for hurricane warnings, and you want to run yours on a mirror flat lake? im speechless... the bigger the water you run that boat in, the faster it will go with less whetted surface...

as heavy as your mistress is all you will do trying to holeshot it is puke drives often. charlie macarthy showed me how to turn my mistress when starting out to roll it onto a flat of the bottom to get it on plane easier. being a racer thats how they got em rolling when hauling tons of fuel for a real offshore style race... might as well forget the holeshot deal and prop it for top end...

Sunny32SSR 07-13-2014 08:45 PM

I'm happy Ratman is back

ratman 07-13-2014 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CrownLPX (Post 4152475)
I'm happy Ratman is back

thx brah.. been working on my island hotel project. just finished a huge water tank 13x6x2 mtrs to catch rain water for our fresh water needs. no internet on our end of the island yet.

i hope to haul the first load of wood to the island late next week to start construction of our first 9x6 mtr two story cabin.

in five months i hope to have two 10 bed cabins, a 36 bed hostel, and 8 palm frond tents set up for a total of 72 beds, then we will build a beachfront bar and restaurant. then another dozen or so cabins... gonna be fun project going forward...rm