Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   sweep boat volunteer for the NYC/SBI race (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31516-sweep-boat-volunteer-nyc-sbi-race.html)

toolman 08-22-2002 09:53 PM

sweep boat volunteer for the NYC/SBI race

I would like to volunteer to be a sweep boat for the NYC/SBI race. Who should I talk to and is there anyone else on the board doing this? Any NJPPC members going to be there?

Toolman

Ron P 08-22-2002 11:07 PM

Toolman, you must contact John Carbonell directly. Go to superboat.com and get his email address and phone number.

Last year no spectators were allowed near the course. If you didn't have an SBI sweep boat flag you were not allowed on the water near the race. Can you imagine what security will be like this year?? Last years race was on 9/9.

I heard this race will be aired live on OLN network.

I'll see ya there.

Boat Girl 08-23-2002 12:24 PM

Toolman, I just got a fax this AM from the SBIP office...please call them at 305-296-6166 by Aug 30th for the forms. No Patrol boat will be signed up after Sept 7th. Also, there is no "spectator" area, same as last year, you must fly and offical flag to be allowed near the course...Commercial vessels in the area must also fly official race flags to be in the area of the race course as well and that is done thru the Coast Guard and must be done by Aug 30th...Send an 81/2 x 11 self addressed stamped envelope with 1.25 postage along with a written request to CG Activities New York, 212 Coast Guard Drive, Staten Island NY 10305 Attn. Luis Martinez Jr. Please include the name of the vessel and transit schedule in the request...Hope that helps anyone...

BODYSHOT1 08-23-2002 12:41 PM

see you all there! :cool:

dckrafft 08-23-2002 04:37 PM

Considering the amout of boats that will be racing (few), the fact that you will need a telescope to view the race from the water (not just binoculars) and the increased security (harassment), I think that I will just might stay at home that day.

Ron P 08-23-2002 04:54 PM

No doubt, the NYC race is the worst venue on the curcuit. I never saw the attraction.

You are right. If your not on a boat to see the race, you won't see the race.

Stay home and watch it live on TV if that actually happens.

Smittymarine 08-23-2002 11:49 PM

Stay home and watchit on TV? You got to be kidding, you better be there or I will come and get you. We have room on the Jabretta, no excuses!

Ron P 08-23-2002 11:51 PM

I'll be there. I was refering to people that can't watch from a boat.

Smittymarine 08-23-2002 11:53 PM

Ok. after all who would write the play by play

tripps 08-24-2002 08:58 AM

viewing imfo

i have been going to that race for 5 years,i leave my boat home! i have found 2 good places to watch it from,here they are,on the westside highway the 40th parking garage,10 bucks for the day watch the race from 3 stories up right in the middle of the course,and no one cares what you do up there bring your cooler.you might have to park on the 2nd floor and go up one storie. im going to battery park this year,its at the south end of the course its nice there,ill have my oso hat on. there is a ferry that runs across to libertylanding from there also. then we go to piasnos in little italy after that for some good eats!!! see you there tripps :D :D :D :D :D