Notices

Avanti 22 speed vs.hp

Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 21eagle
PigNaPoke any pics of your avanti? Sorry phragle as you know mine was an outboard, can't help ya with where you should be at.
For me it would be interesting to compare your Avanti 22 and outboard with the same hull and inboard. Could you post some more information on your outboard powered Avanti?

Thanks, SJ.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Smoking joe let me look, boat was factory outboard, had a Gil bracket.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

21eagle, also if I may ask, it says you had a P&D, how much difference in ride did you notice between the Avanti and the p&D??
Old 07-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

lol I think it's funny how 99% of people say "what's an avanti" when you tell them...

been a hell of a Lil boat...
Old 07-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PigNaPoke
lol I think it's funny how 99% of people say "what's an avanti" when you tell them...

been a hell of a Lil boat...
More than a few people don't believe it isn't a Cigarette, and these are sport boat owners.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilotpete
The nerd-ist answer is this; The power required is (1/2*p*v)[SUP]3[/SUP]*A*Cd

Where p is the density of the fluid
v is the relative velocity
A is the cross-section Area
Cd is the drag coefficient

So if we put some arbitrary numbers in for effect, we will see the power differential at given speeds. So if the density of the fluid is 1, the speed is 40, the Area is 2 and the Cd is 0.5, you need 8000 units of thrust to maintain the speed. Changing only the speed, it looks like this;

40=8000
50=15625
60=27000
70=42875
80=64000
90=91125

So to double the speed from 40 to 80, you need 8 times the thrust. From 40 to 50 is almost double, requiring 7,625 over the 8000. But 50 to 60 requires 11,375 for the next 10 mph.

If you plot the points of hp required at a given set of speeds (say, every 5 mph. And the hp scale should be available for a given engine at differing rpm) then you can project APPROXIMATE speed increases up the log scale. Where planing hulls differ from cars and planes is as you accelerate, you CAN reduce the area in contact with the water (to a point).

For some reason, this discussion never impressed the girls...
Well your math impresses me! But, using your formula, you stated it would take 8 times the thrust to go from 40 to 80 mph. Wouldn't that mean you would need 8 times the engine power?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Well your math impresses me! But, using your formula, you stated it would take 8 times the thrust to go from 40 to 80 mph. Wouldn't that mean you would need 8 times the engine power?
Well, first off, I can't take credit for the formula. I went to one of my books on the shelf and copied it all over. I got through some of my math classes by dating the professor's assistant.

In answer to your question, all else being equal, yes. But that being said, everything else isn't equal. For cars and planes the basic rule says that when speed is doubled, drag is squared. But for a planing hull, the area of wetted surface is reduced as you go faster. Additionally, water is incompressible, so there are a few other issues that come to play. Now dereknkathy is correct that when you reduce the wetted area, you increase the aerodynamic drag, but that is nothing compared to the hydrodynamic drag. You'll see it when you change the trim on your boat at speed. Push the bow down and the boat slows. The more you lift out the water, the faster you go. And we're only talking about Vees here. Cats bring a whole set of additional calculations and considerations to the dance.

Please also note that I just picked some random numbers for fluid density and Cd. However, the principle remains the same.

So there are numerous variables that come into play here. In addition to the change of the wetted surface area, you have a difference in the prop efficiency as well. most props create thrust on a non-linear curve as well. Just as your hull has an efficiency "sweet spot", so will your prop. So "8x" thrust may take 8x hp, or more, or less.

Last edited by Pilotpete; 07-22-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

All kinds of variables in you really think about it. At higher speeds, less boat in the water = more boat weight on a smaller area of water, but then again, decks are pretty flat, the bottom has a big curve under the bow, at 70 is the air not giving the boat a bunch of lift by pushing on the curved underside? ever try and hold a peice of plywood on the roof of the car at 70?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by phragle
All kinds of variables in you really think about it. At higher speeds, less boat in the water = more boat weight on a smaller area of water, but then again, decks are pretty flat, the bottom has a big curve under the bow, at 70 is the air not giving the boat a bunch of lift by pushing on the curved underside? ever try and hold a peice of plywood on the roof of the car at 70?
Your plywood analogy is the premise behind cats. On a V, the hull is designed to push water to the side, and so it does it to the air quite easily. Certainly, there is some lift from a hull with a nose-high pitch, but at these speeds, it would not be significant. A flat bottom bass boat would gain more lift at a comparable speed than would a V.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilotpete
Well, first off, I can't take credit for the formula. I went to one of my books on the shelf and copied it all over. I got through some of my math classes by dating the professor's assistant.

In answer to your question, all else being equal, yes. But that being said, everything else isn't equal. For cars and planes the basic rule says that when speed is doubled, drag is squared. But for a planing hull, the area of wetted surface is reduced as you go faster. Additionally, water is incompressible, so there are a few other issues that come to play. Now dereknkathy is correct that when you reduce the wetted area, you increase the aerodynamic drag, but that is nothing compared to the hydrodynamic drag. You'll see it when you change the trim on your boat at speed. Push the bow down and the boat slows. The more you lift out the water, the faster you go. And we're only talking about Vees here. Cats bring a whole set of additional calculations and considerations to the dance.

Please also note that I just picked some random numbers for fluid density and Cd. However, the principle remains the same.

So there are numerous variables that come into play here. In addition to the change of the wetted surface area, you have a difference in the prop efficiency as well. most props create thrust on a non-linear curve as well. Just as your hull has an efficiency "sweet spot", so will your prop. So "8x" thrust may take 8x hp, or more, or less.
I agree many variables with boats. That formula doesn't carry over to boats very well. On a decent performing hull, going from 40 mph to 80 mph would take about 4x the power.

I have found that the formula used for speed calculators to be very accurate. Divide current speed by the sq root of (HP/weight) to get your constant

If a boat does 60 mph with 350 hp and weighs 4000 lbs

350/4000 = .0875
sq root of .0875 = .29580
60/.29580 = 202.84 constant

Once you have your constant, you can use square root of (HP/weight ) x constant = speed

Say you add 150hp

500/4000 = .125
sq root of .125 = .35355
.35355 x 202.84 = 71.71 mph

So, in this case adding 150hp would add 11.7 mph

Using these formulas I predicted two engine transplants within 1 mph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.