Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
first big boat on a budget, opinions appreciated >

first big boat on a budget, opinions appreciated

Notices

first big boat on a budget, opinions appreciated

Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, but I'm the type a personality who would rather overengineer and not worry about it than engineer it just enough. There are a lot of bravo parts I'm my area on Craigslist etc. How much did that run if you don't mind me asking.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

I have a 454/alpha 700 hrs total. I'm adding a little juce to engine only 4 hrs with me as owner. I hope to get going by labor day. End of next summer will be looking for bravo with healthy 500hp motor., i have heard don't pound it (alpha) out of the hole and be extra careful if you come out of the water. I still would rather have the twins. I bet it will beat the snot out of your 454 stocker and get better fuel at cruse speed 45mph. Formula perf. Sheet says 454-55mph / t-350's=65mph. Cheapest 10 mph you will ever get from it.
Hell if you want a 454 buy the twin 350's maybe we trade. Ha ha ha
Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Registered

My 1986 242LS has a solid built 454 with a conservative 400 hp and Bravo One drive. . I do 60 mph with no bottom paint. ( I rack store it) I bought it in Chicago a year and a half ago and trailered it to NJ. Now moving bigger again. A little slow out of the hole but its a heavy boat and handles chop very well. It's a big 24 footer. Its very clean. I'm asking 10K with matching dual axle trailer. Don't expect you to come from Canada, I am just giving you an idea of whats out there. Twins would be fun, but this moves well and one motor is cheaper. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails first big boat on a budget, opinions appreciated-formula-water.jpg   first big boat on a budget, opinions appreciated-formula242-1.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Registered

That's a beautiful engine room! I'm willing to travel for the right boat. Did you do the bravo swap yourself/while you owned it? How was it?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 PM
Registered

I bought the boat from a forum member. He did all the work. below is the boat info as I got it from Steve:
I have a 1986 formula 242 ls sitting on a 2007 phoenix custom trailer painted to match the boat. I purchased the boat back in Nov 2007 from the second owner. The boat has been in fresh water its whole life and has been in Illinois. The previous owner was an older gentleman that would use it for pleasure use, and he was also the announcer of the Fox Lake Thursday night boat races. The boat to my knowledge has been kept inside prior to me owning it. Since I have had it I have keep it inside as well.
The boat originally was a small block 260/350 alpha boat. I ran it this way for a couple years until I did a big block and bravo one swap. Everything on the boat is either new or factory restored, other upgrades preformed was the addition of zero effort controls, factory bolster seats, silent thunder swim platform, livosri gauges with gps tattle tale recall speedo, on board shore power, cd player with i-pod jack, depth finder, dual batteries, Eddie marine drive shower, ship to shore marine radio, etc.
The motor is a GM 454 with forged steel crank, forged steel ls6 rods and j.e. forged pistons, It has a crane cam with crane gold roller rockers, on GM rectangle port heads, It has a Weiand team G dual plane intake manifold, with a holley carb, ignition is a D.U.I marine H.E.I setup with rev control box. Exhaust is Eddie marine fully polished EMI thunder series manifolds. Estimated 400 h.p. The drive is a performance bravo one 1.50 ratio with Eddie marine braided stainless steel drive shower.
I do not think you will find a cleaner turn key 1986 242ls formula any where else that has the right graphics on it. This boat has been my baby over the years, I am very meticulous about what I did and how I did it, the only reason I am selling it is I purchased another boat at the end of the season last year.
If you have any questions I didnt answer feel free to email, or call me, I can answer any questions you may have. Boat it located about 30 min north of Chicago
Attached Thumbnails first big boat on a budget, opinions appreciated-formula-rtstarboard.jpg   first big boat on a budget, opinions appreciated-formula242.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by shekmark
I bought the boat from a forum member. He did all the work. below is the boat info as I got it from Steve:
I have a 1986 formula 242 ls sitting on a 2007 phoenix custom trailer painted to match the boat. I purchased the boat back in Nov 2007 from the second owner. The boat has been in fresh water its whole life and has been in Illinois. The previous owner was an older gentleman that would use it for pleasure use, and he was also the announcer of the Fox Lake Thursday night boat races. The boat to my knowledge has been kept inside prior to me owning it. Since I have had it I have keep it inside as well.
The boat originally was a small block 260/350 alpha boat. I ran it this way for a couple years until I did a big block and bravo one swap. Everything on the boat is either new or factory restored, other upgrades preformed was the addition of zero effort controls, factory bolster seats, silent thunder swim platform, livosri gauges with gps tattle tale recall speedo, on board shore power, cd player with i-pod jack, depth finder, dual batteries, Eddie marine drive shower, ship to shore marine radio, etc.
The motor is a GM 454 with forged steel crank, forged steel ls6 rods and j.e. forged pistons, It has a crane cam with crane gold roller rockers, on GM rectangle port heads, It has a Weiand team G dual plane intake manifold, with a holley carb, ignition is a D.U.I marine H.E.I setup with rev control box. Exhaust is Eddie marine fully polished EMI thunder series manifolds. Estimated 400 h.p. The drive is a performance bravo one 1.50 ratio with Eddie marine braided stainless steel drive shower.
I do not think you will find a cleaner turn key 1986 242ls formula any where else that has the right graphics on it. This boat has been my baby over the years, I am very meticulous about what I did and how I did it, the only reason I am selling it is I purchased another boat at the end of the season last year.
If you have any questions I didnt answer feel free to email, or call me, I can answer any questions you may have. Boat it located about 30 min north of Chicago
Might be interested in this. Please send me a PM with your cell number. Thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 01:16 AM
Registered

I beg you not to take what I am about to say as a slap at you, I am just trying to prepare you for the inevitable cost you will experience. If you can not afford to buy a 25,000 to 30,000 boat you may want to rethink buying an older performance boat. Your finances are none of my business and I don't want to know, but you can rest assured that that the purchase price of the boat is the cheapest part of owning one. I know I could buy a 500,000 condo for what I spend per month on 1 performance boat. Fuel 400 per week in fuel average, 100 hour service 2,300 to 4000, 50 hour oil change 425, upgrades (Bling) I think I need 700 average per month, slip fee 400 per month, cleaning materials, lift 16,000, and it goes on and on. My boat has 2 engines and is 2 times the size so you can slash by half. I know others have voiced their concerns but 1 more will not hurt. My god that's a bunch of money out of pocket but I know there are others out there spending a ton more than me on this activity. I recommend talking with some people on the water before you make the leap and if you do decide to get a boat I would recommend looking at spending more on a newer boat if you can, your cost should be less in the long run. I wish you luck.

I forgot one last thing, pray that nothing breaks. This activity is not for the faint of heart.

Last edited by Mseuro; 07-29-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:14 AM
Registered

Mseuro I appreciate your warning but I think you are quite off. I work 8 hours a day on the water the 6 months of the year that it's not frozen and am quite familar with the activity that I am getting into. It's fresh water and I have a dock at the house and boat ramp next door so getting a lift or slip isn't necessary. I do understand that maintenance and is a must and it comes with a cost but I'm also not going to be running this boat every day. I'm off every other weekend and I'm looking for something I can take to the local areas for dinner or a swim.

Last edited by lakeoftheisles; 07-29-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 AM
Registered

Hi, my cell is 732-245-7600, Thanks, Mark
Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mseuro
I beg you not to take what I am about to say as a slap at you, I am just trying to prepare you for the inevitable cost you will experience. If you can not afford to buy a 25,000 to 30,000 boat you may want to rethink buying an older performance boat. Your finances are none of my business and I don't want to know, but you can rest assured that that the purchase price of the boat is the cheapest part of owning one. I know I could buy a 500,000 condo for what I spend per month on 1 performance boat. Fuel 400 per week in fuel average, 100 hour service 2,300 to 4000, 50 hour oil change 425, upgrades (Bling) I think I need 700 average per month, slip fee 400 per month, cleaning materials, lift 16,000, and it goes on and on. My boat has 2 engines and is 2 times the size so you can slash by half. I know others have voiced their concerns but 1 more will not hurt. My god that's a bunch of money out of pocket but I know there are others out there spending a ton more than me on this activity. I recommend talking with some people on the water before you make the leap and if you do decide to get a boat I would recommend looking at spending more on a newer boat if you can, your cost should be less in the long run. I wish you luck.

I forgot one last thing, pray that nothing breaks. This activity is not for the faint of heart.
I took no offence to what you said. However I strongly disagree. I never said I could not "afford" a $25,000 boat. Over the last 2 1/2 years I have sunk about $20,000 into 4 wheelers and dirtbikes that just sit in my garage. I have owned boats my whole life. I just sold my crownline CR250 because it sat in my driveway. I do not want that to happen again and I will not pay 25K-40K to find out. However I will pay 10K and pay it off in a year.

We also have 2 jet skis for sale due to lack of use.

Fuel consumption is what you make it. I am well aware of the costs associated with boats. I have a
89 century 6 meter I just put a floor in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.