Notices

water pressure??????

Old 08-24-2002, 12:28 PM
merlin540

Default water pressure??????

how much water pressure is too much??? i think excessive water pressure is what smoked my engine tues and started the problem that i ended up with. is 30 psi too much at 125mph. if it is how are you guysgetting rid of it. please post thanks

Old 08-24-2002, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 PSI isn't to much, but at 125 running over some choppy water with short drives there were likely some pressure spikes in excess of 40 to 50 PSI. Pressure spikes occur so quickly the gauge may not even pick them up. Talk to "team Carrerra" about the cure. He will be here next week and I can send some parts back with him that should help lower the pressure and reduce the spikes. I have my pressure set at 25 PSI at 95 MPH and 6200 RPM. I think Corey is about the same. Hope the motor isn't to bad. Later, Craig
Old 08-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wette Vette, Before I detonated one engine, (under jetted I'm pretty sure), I had switched from a standard crossover to a bypass crossover with a thermostat. I knew what it was going to do, but in 38° water, the water temp and oil temp wouldn't even register. Now I am pegging the needle on the water pressure gauges (over 35psi). The boat will only go 70-75 mph but it has the offshore pickups.

Was it you that posted a while back with a good cure?

I need some info. If you could help out here, I would appreciate it. I'll be a trailer queen owner for a while so there is no hurry, It'll just be easier to install with the engines out.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2002, 01:26 AM
Registered

Gary Grimes has the expensive cure. It is a pressure relief valve that tees right after the coolers before the thermostat or bypass. It works!! My pressure was in excess of 40lbs. Now it is a consistent 24lbs. I need to get different springs to drop it to 18-20. This is a picture of stock 365's with the tee valve installed.
Attached Thumbnails water pressure??????-valve1oso.jpg  
Old 08-25-2002, 01:27 AM
Registered

Attached Thumbnails water pressure??????-valveoso.jpg  
Old 08-25-2002, 02:38 AM
Registered

Candyman, what kind of price are you talking about when you say expensive? How much capacity does it have? Will I need one for each engine, or just one. I would assume you would need two.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:54 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also be interested in the price and what it includes.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The valve I use plumbs in in the same location as the valve pictured. It could go before or after the oil cooler depending on how you want to do it. It is much smaller than the one pictured and works great. All of the components including the transom dump and fittings will cost fellow OSO'ers $150.00. The spike reliever goes in before the sea strainer and can be bought for $135.00 dollars. Most pleasure lake racer boats do not need the spike reducer. I think the Grimes valve will cost $500 plus dollars.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:47 AM
Registered

Charlie;

My boat is at Kevins if you want to see the fix. Craig makes a custom "T" thats in the line between the cooler and the crossover. The "T" leads to a flow control valve that is adjustable...water dumps all the time. Pressure is 1-2 at idle and I have it set for 18 at 100+. Oh, and I run a thermostat also. Craig also has a fix for the "spikes" before the strainer...which I havn't put on yet. The whole thing is a cheap fix and it works.

Last edited by jdnca1; 08-25-2002 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:15 AM
Registered

The valves were around $500.00 each. I got sick of chasing the pressure problem and wanted a guaranteed fix so I bought them.

Wett Vette had a bunch of pictures posted in May of his system. It works on the same theory. I just wasn't sure it would flow enough water and was sick of this problem.

The Grimes valve is nothing more than a 1 1/4 stainless sleeve inside the valve that a piston rides in. The sleeve has two large ports cut into the sides. As pressure builds the piston is moved further down the sleeve exposing more of the ports. The ports can flow more than a 1 1/4" hose so there is no restriction there. The water then flows through the transom on to the top of the bravo. My water pressure will go to 24 lbs. and stop. My oil temp tops out at 220 on a 45 wot pass with this system. It would go to 240 before and I would back out. This system allows more water to go through the coolers without having to pass through the engines. I don't have Gary’s number here. I'll post it tomorrow.
Dan

Quick Reply: water pressure??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.