Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Feed Back ... First Big Boat on Georgian Bay (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/315958-feed-back-first-big-boat-georgian-bay.html)

wfever 07-28-2014 06:14 AM

Feed Back ... First Big Boat on Georgian Bay

Hi Guys

Looking between two boats right now. I know they are a bit different in size and weight, but how will that effect it's running on Georgian Bay?

2011 sunsation 28 MCOB with a single 496
2007 formula 292 fastech with twin 350s

What are the pros and cons of each boat? I will eventually move upto a 35' but want to start here and want the boat that will handle the water better

looseconnection 07-28-2014 06:33 AM

If you know you will be in a 35 at some point, go ahead and do it now. 6 feet does not make that much of a difference in terms of operation/cost to operate.
I am a huge fan of the formula fastech. Does not take much skill to drive and is a very safe stepped hull boat. Great fuel econ with the small blocks plus the reliability of them is 2nd to none. However, you cannot easily mod the sbc's so what you have is what you have, and to be honest 68 to 70 mph is plain boring in the 292. We have found the 292 to be the perfect size for our boating needs, semi rough inland lake with occasional trips to the gulf coast is well with in its design boundaries. I cannot speak of the construction of the sunny but I know my 292 is built rock solid and I only have a couple of gel cracks on the whole boat---and this is from not correctly pre-drilling a screw hole.

Indy 07-28-2014 06:49 AM

Go twins, once I owned twins I swore I'd never get back into a single.

low_psi 07-28-2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 4160902)
Go twins, once I owned twins I swore I'd never get back into a single.

Agree 1000%. I had been a single engine boater my whole life until this season when I bought a twin engine boat. We just blew a lower unit in the middle of lake erie, in the dark, with a storm approaching. Having one motor (after loosing one) just gave us a sense of security while out there. Even though we did end up getting towed, we were able to make progress toward home as the tow boat headed toward us. Having been stuck out there dead in the water would have made for a very uneasy feeling for most of my passengers.. I will never again own a single engine boat (unless it is a pontoon or small inland lake runabout).

pullmytrigger 07-29-2014 08:45 AM

Twins , You dont want to eff around in the Bay

ratman 07-29-2014 02:05 PM

dont listen to these clowns, listen to me... i will never steer you wrong............................................. ..................................41 apache

RollWithIt 07-29-2014 09:01 PM

You might get a little more speed out of the sunsation and it might be a little cheaper maintenance wise due to only having one motor. But, the formula would be better suited for rough water. They are built like tanks. Plus, as mentioned, you cant go wrong with twins for handling and safety factor.

speicher lane 07-30-2014 04:40 AM

Definitely go with twins - the bay is not the place to mess around as you can generally get to safety on one engine.

If it is an option and you are planning on jumping up to a 35+', you might want to look at going there from the start...every boat is a project so you might as well invest in what you want from the start as they never pay you back for time an $$$

pullmytrigger 07-30-2014 09:41 PM

Talk about needing a big boat on the Bay...
In the late 90s a friend of mine who lives on the Bay bought a brand new 35 Fountain from Jim Earle.
Took it out once, came back to Jim Earles and said
"Whats the next size up from this?"
"A 38" said Jim
"Is there anything bigger than that?"
"Yes a 42"
"Is there anything bigger than that"
"Yes a 47 with triple engines"
"Is there anything bigger than that?"
"No thats the biggest"
"Then I'll take it"

Lol True story! That boat would be the 47 F "Dealing With The Devil"
He had it then sold it then bought it back and he still has it today