Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
300LBS of oil pressure on new motor ????? >

300LBS of oil pressure on new motor ?????

Notices

300LBS of oil pressure on new motor ?????

Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 300LBS of oil pressure on new motor ?????

So I just fired up a fresh 509 and had oil pressure so high that it spun the gauge around and blew the seal out of the oil filter . . I had run a primer in it before I set the rockers and it didn't seem excessive but then I primed it with a gauge last night before I put the distributor in it so it would be primed before fire up and it seemed high but I just though it was a fluke . Apparently not , It is off the charts . Any Ideas , I'm thinking improper cam bering install .
Old 08-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, something isn't right. Sounds like the relief valve in the pump is stuck. Even if there was a blockage it should be able to keep the pressure from getting that high.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

had a similar experiance a while ago.i was the middle man on an engine sale,i noticed that it was pegging my 100 lb gauge when priming it before starting but didn,t pay much attention to it.i put it on the run stand and it blew the rear main seal as soon as it started.the engine had sat for a number of years and the spool in the oil pump bypass had some corrosion on it and it was stuck.was a easy fix ,pulled the pan,removed the rear main cap&oil pump and took the pump apart,found the corrosion and cleaned it up.replaced rear main seal,put oil pump back on along with the pan and all was good.check the spool in your oil pump bypass and i believe you will find your problem.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

That will be awesome if that is all it is . This is a good example of why its a good idea to run before you go to the Dyno and not waste your dyno time
Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I've seen the bypass valve hang up before. When they bore the hole in the pump lid for the bypass, it can leave little burrs that hang into the passage that the plunger sits in. Before we put any pumps in, we will disassemble them and go at them with a cartridge roll to remove any burrs, sharp edges, casting flash, etc. I had it happen to me once about 15 yrs ago and swore it would never happen again. Since we started detailing the pumps like we do, we've never had another one do that.
Eddie
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick2500
Yeah, something isn't right. Sounds like the relief valve in the pump is stuck. Even if there was a blockage it should be able to keep the pressure from getting that high.
This happened to a buddy of mine a long time ago. He did a driveway engine rebuild. Put the motor back in the car and started it up, it blew the oil filter right off of the adapter. Thought maybe he didn't screw the filer on all the way. Put a new one on and it did it again. Made a hell of a mess..
Old 08-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess that the hoses to the remote oil filter are on backwards. The oil filter anti drainback valve is closing and you don't have any flow at all in the engine. I hope I'm wrong but check to make sure before you hurt something.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527271[/ATTACH] motor is prepped for the Dyno, no cooler yet.
Attached Thumbnails 300LBS of oil pressure on new motor ?????-img_00001198.jpg  
Old 08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bypass in the pump is stuck, they should be lubricated and plunger moved before bolting the pump on. especially if its going to sit for a length of time
Old 08-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

definitely bypass. I shimmed the bypass in a worn old dodge slant 6 engine. gauge pegged and oil filter split open in 3 seconds running time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.