Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bad list at speed? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31624-bad-list-speed.html)

Madcow 08-25-2002 11:07 AM

Bad list at speed?

My 42 Sonic just started lising to starboard to the point that it's getting kinda scary at speed. I can find no obvious cause. Any ideas anyone?

IceAngel 08-25-2002 11:13 AM

Sean said to check your tabs and see if they are in sync with your indicators and also to do the same with the drives. Also do you have more than one fuel tank? If so make sure that they are the same level in both sides if applicable. Also do same with any other tanks he said. Get back with more info if needed.

packinair 08-25-2002 12:03 PM

this is not rocket science people!! all you have to do is move 1/2 the beer to the otherside of the boat:D

yahoo 08-25-2002 12:14 PM

After you have moved the beer, check for Fat chicks.

wannabe 08-25-2002 02:52 PM

List

Do you have a tie bar? It sounds like the steering is somehow out of whack, or the tabs are. Also check drives and the indicators.

Wannabe

Madcow 08-25-2002 03:34 PM

Tabs & Drives seem to be in order. Didn't check the tie bar. Fat chicks? Letr me think fora secondNO!:D

Steve 1 08-25-2002 04:18 PM

Madcow a friend had a similar problem when I drove the boat the throttles tried to heel the boat over slightly everything else was in order, There was no trapped water and I set the trim at the Ramp to be sure.

Turns out one of the Propellers was the culprit! You would be surprised at the stern lift ! Here is the Problem in the US with propellers !In a Nutshell!

ISO 484/2 is a classification system set up by the International Standards Organization for the Repair and Manufacture of Ship's Screw Propellers.

While the U.S. is not a signatory to this particular standard it none-the-less, allows us A tool to discuss the quality of the propellers.

ISO defines four different classes of propellers. Class 3 which is defined as a Low Accuracy Propeller where the mean measured pitch of the blades have to be within 4% of each other. Class 2 is defined as a Medium Accuracy Propeller where the pitch of the blades must be within 1.5% of the other blades. Class 1 is a High Accuracy Propeller, blade pitch must be within 1%. Finally, Class S, which is a Very High Accuracy Propeller with pitches within 0.75% of each other.

Most propellers are Class 3 or worse. We regularly see pitch variances between blades of a single propeller and between propellers on twin screw vessels of as much as _3/4". This means that there can be as much as 1 1/2" of total pitch difference between two propellers!

So you see it is kind of Wild West here in the States In some cases! Make sure whoever does the props has Prop Scan or the Equivalent to check with !
:)

Ron P 08-25-2002 05:33 PM

Boats always list into the wind (never understood why) and it's far more pronounced at the higher speeds when less boat is in the water. It's also more noticable on high freeboard boats like Sonics.

Does it list the other way if you turn around?

C_Spray 08-25-2002 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Ron P
Boats always list into the wind (never understood why) and it's far more pronounced at the higher speeds when less boat is in the water. It's also more noticable on high freeboard boats like Sonics...
Ron - Here's how a certain Swedish (lawn-dart) designer explained it to me: The wind tries to push the front of the boat off downwind, so you counter-steer into the wind. Therefore, you are effectively "turning" (hence the heel into the wind), but the wind keeps you going in a straight line. Make sense?

bajabob38 08-25-2002 08:44 PM

Originally posted by C_Spray

Ron - Here's how a certain Swedish (lawn-dart) designer explained it to me: The wind tries to push the front of the boat off downwind, so you counter-steer into the wind. Therefore, you are effectively "turning" (hence the heel into the wind), but the wind keeps you going in a straight line. Make sense?

Who Drives In A Straight Line??? :D