Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buying house Lake St. Clair River - North Channel - Info?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31661-buying-house-lake-st-clair-river-north-channel-info.html)

Raypanic 08-26-2002 09:19 AM

Buying house Lake St. Clair River - North Channel - Info??

I am buying a house on the north channel on Colony Rd. North channel in back and a canal in front. I am curious if anyone here knows if this area is a flood prone area? It looks OK and people are building multi million dollar homes 2 a 8 houses away but you never know for sure unless you live there. The offer is in and accepted but I could still get out if ther are any major problems. Anything else to look for (other than taxes) ?? Thanks

dockrocker 08-26-2002 09:35 AM

Just make sure it has enough dockage for me! :D

Good luck Ray, should be nice to have the vacation place with the boat out back....

PatriYacht 08-26-2002 09:37 AM

The water is still very low. I have seen it about 3 feet higher. And then a strong storm wind can back it up a little more.

Advantage_Rob 08-26-2002 11:03 AM

Hey Ray, were gonna be neighbors!
I looked at a house on anchor bay before I bought mine, and I have two friends that live on audobon(sp) which is the street after colony. They are about 5 houses off of M-29, one (Curt) has lived there about 10 years and the other just bought an empty lot across the street from and put up a nice new brick 2 story home, and moved in a few weeks ago. The things I would check would be the need for flood insurance, your bank may require it depending on the flood plane it's on, A, B, or C, I belive A is manditory, but most of that area is flood plane B. My friend Curt has a water mark in his garage from the mid 80's when the water was really high and the river got an ice jam, it is about 6 inches above his garage floor, but never came up above the foundation hieght and never got into the house. He said it wasn't a real concern of his because the floor hieght of the house is several feet higher, and it was caused due to an ice jam in the river, and they are much better at getting icebreakers to keep the river flowing now, due to the increased population in the area. That is a beautiful area, and down colony is always where I go on my mountian bike rides, just for the scenery, awesome houses and a great view. The only downsides of the area I've notived in my 5 years are that there is nothing close to home if you want to run out to the store, especially after 10pm, everything is closed. You either go to new baltimore or algonac, but you learn to deal with that relatively quick. The property values there are high already, but the monsters they are building are going to really increase it, and the few places that are on the river, and on a canal are sure to be a good investment. Is this going to be your second home or are you going to live there?

jr 08-26-2002 11:17 AM

Rob, is right about the flood insurance. A is manditory for the bank. My house came in as a B when I refinanced last week, and the bank was not concerned about insurance. B means slight risk. I'm about a half mile in from the lake. But I'm way south of where you are in St. Clair Shores.

My folks have a cottage on Stag Island which is in the St. Clair River. A few years ago when there was REALLY high water, they had water over the seawall. Now its about 4 feet below that.

traviss 08-26-2002 11:29 AM

Just make sure you install my hydrahoist right :p and I will need full docking with ice cold coolers with adult beverages :D :D

and don't worry I'll take care of your ladies :D :D

Gary864 08-26-2002 01:08 PM

Hey Neighbor

I live on the same canal as you will be on. Been there about 9 year and never flooded. My house is in the B area and doesn't need flood insurance. When the water was high a few years back it only got to the top of the seawall.

Mear Image 08-26-2002 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a beautiful home up the street on Flamingo that is For Sale.. It was built in 1992 with a basement, (rare) for a canal home and has never leaked or flooded.. Steel sea wall, 2 boat lifts, one fits up to 40'+ vee or cat and the other lift great for jet skis or small ski boat.. About a 5 minute idle out to the channel..
2700 sq.ft, 2 full baths..

Whiteknuckle 08-26-2002 04:04 PM

My wifes cousin built a nice home just north of Sassy on the North Channel about 5 years ago. No problems yet, and before he built he investagated exactly what you are. Obviously he decided to go with it. Good Luck, great location.

Raypanic 08-26-2002 08:52 PM

Wow Thanks!

So may responces! Thank you very much! OSO was out some today and I just got home. It's nice to know I will have some powerboating neighbors.

Advantage_Rob: It will be a second home, I wanted to move there but my children are so intrenched in the school system here I could not make the change. I figured rates are low and it should be a good investment. I have a friend that just bought a home about 8 houses down from me and I was visiting and we sat in his backyard for a few hours watching the boats go by, it was so relaxing and enjoyable. We had been looking casually since last winter after the visit we decided to go for it. I have been staying at out in my travel trailer in the "Riverview" campground and taking the boat out at Sassy's. It worked out OK but a little cramped with a dog and two kids.

Mear Image: I seen the house, from the outside looks real nice but I figured it was a little big and too much $$$ for a second home.