Notices

Towing a 40' Outlaw....

Old 08-26-2002, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing the point

Nobody ever said you can't tow a big, heavy boat with a truck not rated to tow it with. That is not the point! You can pull all kinds of things with any vehicle equipped with the right ball on the hitch.

The fact is, you cannot SAFELY tow when towing beyond the manufacturer's tow ratings.

With the amount of money some people have invested in their boats, it amazes me that they go the cheap route when it comes to the tow vehicle

You are putting you, your passengers, and all other motorists at risk when towing with an insufficient vehicle.

I remember seeing one moron towing a Baja 38 Special with a Chevy Tahoe. He got it to the lake! Boy, he sure showed those guys that told him he couldn't! What a dumbass.

How about Dock Holiday's buddy?!?!
An 18000 lb Fountain being pulled by an F-250 So he takes his time getting to 55? I bet getting back to 0 takes time too? A 40 mile trip could have all kinds of obstacles along the way. I sure hope he never comes across any of these and has to make any sudden stops or manuveurs.

I just can't see for the life of me why people do this?
Old 08-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ccarloss
I am not sure on the weight of a 40’ Outlaw but Baja Daze is probably pretty close. Based on 16,000lbs you are gonna want to look at something like an F-450 or F-550 for that kind of weight. When looking at tow vehicles you want to look at the GCWR, the gross combined weight or what the truck and trailer weigh together. Basically it tells you what you can LEGALLY weigh or tow. Sure people tow over loaded all the time but that doesn’t mean it is legal or the safest thing to do for that matter. God forbid you were ever in an accident and were found to be overloaded. The lawyers would have a field day not to mention the insurance company would probably not cover you because you have exceeded the design of the truck. I know, I know a lot of “what if’s” but it can happen.

Example – I apologize for not knowing the weights for the GM trucks but I imagine they are very similar to Ford. My 2000 F-350 Crew Cab 4X4 Powerstroke weighs about 7800lbs. So if I strapped on 16,000lbs worth of boat and trailer I would be at 23,800lbs. The F-350 GCWR is 20,000lbs. I am over weight by almost 4,000lbs. Now sure the truck will tow it as I am sure the DMAX and Cummins will as well. The diesels definitely make the torque to tow them. By stepping up to the F-450 or F-550 you have plenty of room to play and most importantly these trucks have larger brakes and beefier axles to handle the extra weight.

Another thing to consider is the hitch. Just because the truck comes with a frame mounted hitch that accepts a two-inch receiver doesn’t mean it can haul unlimited weight. A friend of mine just had a problem with his Reece hitch. He had a class III towing a 12,000lb car trailer and the hitch pulled away from the frame. It wasn’t designed to handle that much tongue weight.

Sorry for the rant. Just wanted to give you some things to think about before buying a new truck (assuming you get the new boat).

This pretty much sums it up.....YOUR gonna need a much larger truck for that weight. At least you are looking into the towing ramifications BEFORE making the purchase. Most people buy the cart before the horse and find out it aint enough.
Old 08-26-2002, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OG

Trade in on a dually one ton or bigger. The dually will take care of you as long as you get good brakes on the trailer. If the trailer is a POS than trade up on that and get brakes on all 3 axles.

Wannabe in Motor City
Old 08-26-2002, 08:45 PM
Registered

a great brake setup on the trailer makes all the difference in the world, my truck stop's better with my boat behind it then without, you can really feel those brakes working, good luck on your bid
Old 08-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had it to do over, I would have ordered a goose neck Myco.

My Myco is great, triple axle, 16 inch rims with surge disk brakes on all axles. It really pulls sweet, but I just saw a 38 Fountain on a goose neck Myco at the lake this weekend and the guy LOVES IT. It had electric over hydraulic brakes and he has a 30,000 lb ball in the bed and all the tongue weight over the rear axle.

Man this is the way to go, especially as heavy as the 40 is.

I am going to talk to Myco and see what they would charge to convert my trailer. It would be worth it.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Registered

Default OG

I have a 2001 F250 PSD crew cab 4X4 and WOULDN'T EVEN THINK of towing that boat with it. As your aware, the problem generally isn't the towing, it's the stopping and control.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:22 PM
OG Outlaw 24

THis is a picture of the boat. I am currently looking at a 2003 Chevrolet C5500 or C6500 Crew Cab with a pickup box. The dealer said I can get the 300 HP Cat diesel with 830 ft./lbs or torque. He is getting pricing to me. Anyone know of a good deal on something of this stature?

Bad Ass Boat!

Old 08-26-2002, 10:22 PM
Registered

Go for the 6500 with the 300HP Cat. That is like the ultimate tow vehicle. I have seen that package and it looks like a pickup on steroids. And with the 830 LB-FT of torque that 3126 puts out, you will have no problem with the 40'. I bet its got a GCVW of 30,000-35,000 lbs, maybe more.

Let us know the pricing you get quoted.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:30 PM
Registered

Default CAT 3126

Hi I drove a Top Kick dump truck with that Catipilar v-8 You could have it at 35,000 pound on the scale and it would truck rite on down the road and stopping was real resonable to. Charlie
Old 08-27-2002, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With such a killer deal on the 40Outlaw, the truck's almost a freebie IMO.

Go for it!

Quick Reply: Towing a 40' Outlaw....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.