Notices

Towing a 40' Outlaw....

Old 08-26-2002, 09:23 AM
OG Outlaw 24

Default Towing a 40' Outlaw....

Talking with the marina about towing the boat I bid on (2000 40' Outlaw) and they said they pulled it home from Baja with a 3/4 ton Chevy They said it pulled fine with that. I have a 2002 Chevy HD Ext. Cab 4x4 with the Vortec 6000. I think the max towing is something like 9500lbs. with a bumper hitch. The boat has to weigh more than that loaded It might be ok for short distances but I do not know about 2 - 3 hour trips I usually tow. Any info

Old 08-26-2002, 09:28 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Towing may now being a problem if you are not going far.Just be aware of your distance to brake. Thats a lot of boat that will be pushing you along.
Good Luck
David

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 08-26-2002, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dry weight is 12,000# with trips.
Trailer is probably at least 2000#
and if the tanks are full(296 gal) that would potentially add another 1800#

Almost 16000# wet with gear, etc....I'd look into a bigger truck to be honest.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:59 AM
OG Outlaw 24

Default Truck may be a LEMON!

I bought the truck brand new in March of this year. At 2000 miles the Engine Blew Apart (Culprit: the crankshaft broke in half) at 9000 Miles the tranny came apart (Culprit: faulty parts according to dealer) now at 10,500 the tranny is slippin again. I have had numerous conversations with GM customer service and should know this week whether they will buy it back from me. I was originally looking at a Hummer H2 to replace it but if I get this boat I might go with the same truck only with duramax and allison and hopefully that will pull it with weight to spare.

Old 08-26-2002, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles...But you'll be better off, though, in the long run with a diesel. That's a lot of boat!

Good luck in the bidding!
Old 08-26-2002, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure on the weight of a 40’ Outlaw but Baja Daze is probably pretty close. Based on 16,000lbs you are gonna want to look at something like an F-450 or F-550 for that kind of weight. When looking at tow vehicles you want to look at the GCWR, the gross combined weight or what the truck and trailer weigh together. Basically it tells you what you can LEGALLY weigh or tow. Sure people tow over loaded all the time but that doesn’t mean it is legal or the safest thing to do for that matter. God forbid you were ever in an accident and were found to be overloaded. The lawyers would have a field day not to mention the insurance company would probably not cover you because you have exceeded the design of the truck. I know, I know a lot of “what if’s” but it can happen.

Example – I apologize for not knowing the weights for the GM trucks but I imagine they are very similar to Ford. My 2000 F-350 Crew Cab 4X4 Powerstroke weighs about 7800lbs. So if I strapped on 16,000lbs worth of boat and trailer I would be at 23,800lbs. The F-350 GCWR is 20,000lbs. I am over weight by almost 4,000lbs. Now sure the truck will tow it as I am sure the DMAX and Cummins will as well. The diesels definitely make the torque to tow them. By stepping up to the F-450 or F-550 you have plenty of room to play and most importantly these trucks have larger brakes and beefier axles to handle the extra weight.

Another thing to consider is the hitch. Just because the truck comes with a frame mounted hitch that accepts a two-inch receiver doesn’t mean it can haul unlimited weight. A friend of mine just had a problem with his Reece hitch. He had a class III towing a 12,000lb car trailer and the hitch pulled away from the frame. It wasn’t designed to handle that much tongue weight.

Sorry for the rant. Just wanted to give you some things to think about before buying a new truck (assuming you get the new boat).
Old 08-26-2002, 10:59 AM
Registered

ccarloss, you are not ranting.

Towing questions like these come up often on this board, and like always, I am astounded by the ignorance out there.

A 40' Outlaw with a 3/4 ton is taking a huge risk.

Other factors to check out when you decide to tow-
In Ohio, the maximum length of truck and trailer is 65 feet. That means from the front bumper to the prop or swim platform, whatever sticks out the furthest. Otherwise you need a permit. I don't know the laws in Michigan, but you may want to check.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:10 AM
Wild Horses

We tow our F311 (yeh it's only a 33 footer but she is heavy) with a Chev 2001 3500 dually D/A. The boat / trailer are 11,800 with a full tank of fuel and there is plenty of power and braking power in that package.

FYI

Trevor

Old 08-26-2002, 11:11 AM
Registered

I realize it was extremely overloaded ... but -

I have spoken with 2 owners that tow large boats with 2500 Chevy / Gm trucks. No Problems.

Baja 442 - towed it with a small block in the truck!

Outerlimits 42? - towed it with a Diesel.

Both said that towing was NOT a problem - with this one precursor -

BOTH HAD NEWER TRAILERS WITH ELECTRIC OVER HYDRAULIC DISK BRAKES ON ALL 3 AXLES.

(given the problems that you are already having with your truck, I would not tow anything over the limit. If GM finds out they may not buy your truck back???)
Old 08-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always try to error on the side of caution, however I have a friend that is pulling 18,000 LBS with a 2001 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 with PSD.

He had a 42 Fountain on a Myco trailer that it pulled fine. He then traded the boat for a Fountain 38 Sport Cruiser that has every option known to the boating world and it weighs close to 18,000 Lbs with Myco trailer & gear. He still pulls it with the F-250 PSD, but he will be the first to tell you that he really does not want to pull it very far. One way from his house to the lake is close to 40 miles and he takes his time and runs about 55 MPH.

It can be done, but having more truck than you need makes the task much more enjoyable.

Good luck, I cannot wait to hear more about the 40 Outlaw.

Mark

Quick Reply: Towing a 40' Outlaw....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.