Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Will 224 fall at this years shootout? >

Will 224 fall at this years shootout?

Notices

Will 224 fall at this years shootout?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 245 Posts

ok whos going to borrow a top fuel hydro..... idle to about half track then bang it thru the top end trap? i think there up to 275 now in the liquid quarter! 10,000 hp in a 18 foot boat ought to git er done! and i,d pay to see it! now thats a thunderboat.....i,m all for pistons on the water and turbines in the air photographing the event.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boostbros
ok whos going to borrow a top fuel hydro..... idle to about half track then bang it thru the top end trap? i think there up to 275 now in the liquid quarter! 10,000 hp in a 18 foot boat ought to git er done! and i,d pay to see it! now thats a thunderboat.....i,m all for pistons on the water and turbines in the air photographing the event.
Doesn't qualify, you will need a 21 footer to run. Plus I don't know if a top fuel Hydro could make it, the lake isn't glass like what they usually run on.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct my if I am wrong, but aren't both boats 50 ft Mystics ???
Old 08-16-2014, 05:34 AM
Registered

I believe you are correct. We know the hp difference but does anyone know if there are any differences between the hulls as in materials and layup??
Old 08-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Last night on Facebook Steve C said they were well in to the 200's on the 1st day testing
Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
Last night on Facebook Steve C said they were well in to the 200's on the 1st day testing
It's well fast with **** loads left
Old 08-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Registered

Supposed to be 101 on Saturday and 98 on Sunday with high humidity. Might make it tough on Qatar to break the 224 on Saturday as they don’t let the boats run until 11AM and usually they start late, closer to noon so probably be over 90 by then, Sunday they can get out at 10:00 so it should still be in the 80's but probably high 80s.

Makes about 1100-1200 feet difference in the density altitude so those motors will have to work harder. Checked the history and it was 82 degrees when My Way made their 224 run (S wind at 5-6 MPH). They ran 209 that Saturday and it would have been 88ish then.

Wind should be a nonfactor SW at 7-8 and the course runs SE to NWish.

Will be interesting.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

It'll be interesting on whether the aerodynamic differences between the two hulls will be a factor, with My Way having recessed deck level air intakes, and Qatar having the big over-canopy one. My Way laid down their fastest pass during the first pass, when the full fuel tanks kept the boats center of gravity more forward, and on the latter runs the light fuel load (changing the center of gravity) made it more difficult to keep the bow down, scrubbing speed.

Will the air intake difference for Qatar vs My Way compound that same issue, as the fuel load lightens?

It'll be fun to watch.

Last edited by Donzi ZX; 08-20-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi ZX
It'll be interesting on whether the aerodynamic differences between the two hulls will be a factor, with My Way having recessed deck level air intakes, and Qatar having the big over-canopy one. My Way laid down their fastest pass during the first pass, when the full fuel tanks kept the boats center of gravity more forward, and on the latter runs the light fuel load (changing the center of gravity) made it more difficult to keep the bow down, scrubbing speed.

Will the air intake difference for Qatar vs My Way compound that same issue, as the fuel load lightens?

It'll be fun to watch.
I've often wondered about those huge intakes on MyWay. I know cooling a turbine is a huge part in making power and reliability. If you watch the way the air lifts the engine cowls at speed, it almost seems that all that air-packing could be too much and slowing it down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.