Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dodge dealer rip-off (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31707-dodge-dealer-rip-off.html)

baja bailey 08-26-2002 06:34 PM

Dodge dealer rip-off

Driving down the road today and my 1999 Durango 40,000 miles overheated. I was sure it was the thermostat, but was in a bind for time and stranded so I wip it in my local Dodge dealer. I was expecting to pay abot $70-$80 to get a thermostat put in since it was a dealership afterall. Well guess what, $193.75 to put in a thermostat w/gasket and new coolant. Took them 45 minutes! The last time I go there for anything that the extended warranty don't cover!! And my last Dodge product if this is how far they bend you over and drive it home!!!:mad: :mad: I am gonna vent to some higher ups, even though I am sure it will do no good...

Ted G 08-26-2002 07:45 PM

You know what's even worse??? All you really needed was the gasket. They leak all the time and the thermostat is always fine.:mad:

David 08-26-2002 08:06 PM

I am on my #2 Chrysler product, and definitely the last. It is the worst vehicle I have ever owned in my life.

mcollinstn 08-26-2002 08:48 PM

Aw, cmon guys. We all know that U.S. automobiles suck almost as badly as their dealer service departments.

I don't know when it will ever change, but the dealers seem to be trying to run buyers off. Ammurrica does build the best dang trucks, though.

Know this: If your vehicle is out of warranty, you absolutely must require a price estimate before any work can be done. Otherwise you WILL get reamed.

Find a reputable and honest repair shop to handle your miscellaneous sevice needs. Save the dealer for lube service and warranty work (most dealers do offer competitive lube service rates).

A buddy of mine dropped his Jeep in for stumbling problems. They called him two hours later and had installed a fuel pump and an engine computer. $862.00 bill.

He called me, I told him that I could not get him a discount retroactively. When he told me what they had replaced, I told him that his computer was still in warranty and there should be no charge for that. I also told him to be sure to keep the old fuel pump since his troubles did not sound like fuel pressure.

They argued with him over the warranty, then folded, charging him only for the fuel pump. They argued over giving him the old fuel pump, and when pressed they did give him one. He dropped by and was happy about the computer being covered. He showed me the old fuel pump and asked me if I had any use for it (since I collect crap like that). I looked at it and deemed the pump out of a Ford. He got mad and went back to the dealership. They never admitted that they had not replaced his pump, but did refund the cost of the pump, charging him only for the labor for the pump replacement.

Consumer beware...

mopower 08-26-2002 08:49 PM

I was 400 miles from home in August and my power steering pump died on my Tahoe. Two hours and $421. later I drove out with p.s. working again. I do have to admit they stayed past closing on a Friday afternoon to get me back on the road:D I was on vacation and planning to leave 6am Saturday morning. Thanks Cantin Chevrolet Laconia NH;)

packinair 08-26-2002 08:55 PM

BLAH BLAH BLAH.. it is Chryslers fault that you failed to get an estamate from the dealer.. Not all of US Dodge dealer are dishonest.. I am so sick of seeing these whining posts "BOHOO my dodge with 350,000 miles that I tow a 38" boat all the time with has tranny problems.."

packinair 08-26-2002 08:58 PM

OH yea, why not take it up with that local dodge dealer instead of slamming all of us. it is like saying "I was doing 75 in a school zone and I got a ticket, all cops are DICKS!!!" I don't think Troutly would like that any more than I like this:mad:

baja bailey 08-26-2002 09:45 PM

Packinair

I never said it was Chryslers fault the dealership f#$%ed me, but if I can not get it resolved through them I will let Chrysler know about it! Luckily my uncle is very good friends with the owner of the dealership, he said he would say something to the owner because he thought the price was crazy too. They did tell me how much up front, but I did not want to tow it somewhere else as I had something very important going on and had to get back on the road. I could of had it towed home and fixed it myself in 45 minutes for about $50, and that includes the tow bill. I am not trying to slam no one but who is involved! It was a rip-off plain as day. I would put thermostats in all day everyday for $200 a pop... This is not a whinning post, just another case of a business bending someone over, then places wonder why they end up without business...

CigDaze 08-27-2002 07:21 AM

I'll have to agree that, $200 is a little excessive for a 45min thermostat replacement...

Rick252 08-27-2002 02:49 PM

1997 Ram 4X4 and I can't keep it in brake shoes. 3 sets of rotors and 8 sets of shoes. I only tow my boat (5400lb) a mile both ways, maybe three times a month during season. Other than that its been a good truck

Interceptor 08-28-2002 10:54 AM

Anyone out there explain something with my 2002 2500-v-10 4x4 Ram.
Occasionally when shifting from park to drive or reverse a loud clang noise comes from the drivetrain (assume transmission). Other time just the normal thud noise.
Suggestions ?

Intolerant1 08-28-2002 11:17 AM

Fords no better.

My truck died while my wife was driving it. I called Ford and they gave me a number of a tow service and told me to have it brought in. I told the tech that it had a Hypertech chip in it and I would start by pulling it out. The chip was bad and they charged me $164 for "Diagnostic" plus $80 for the tow. The tow driver told me it was $50. Got in an argument when I refused to pay over $50 for the tow that I had to call and arrange. They stated they tack on $30 for handling the paperwork. I ended up in the owners office who finally agreed to drop it to $50. Still got screwed on the diagnostic charge. They never even pluged the truck in.

bobby daniels 08-28-2002 11:29 AM

HeY PACKINAIR DON'T WORRY THERE AREN'T MANY DODGES (IF ANY) THAT WILL RUN 350 K MILES MUCH LESS TOW A 38 FOOT BOAT !:)
HEY WHY DON'T YOU SEE ANY DODGE WRECKERS ? WEAK FRAMES !!!!!!
NOT TRYING TO WIND YOU UP JUST FACTS AS SEEN :) AND ALL CAR COMPANYS DO MAKE MISTAKES JUST SOME MORE THAN OTHERS

Dean Ferry 08-28-2002 11:51 AM

Hey Bobby,
How are you? Did you sell your 388? That was/is one BEAUTIFUL boat!! How's your 47 running?
Take care,
Dean
BTW, that why I either do the work myself or I have my mechanic do the work, I can't afford to take it to the dealer!

Cord 08-28-2002 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Rick252
1997 Ram 4X4 and I can't keep it in brake shoes. 3 sets of rotors and 8 sets of shoes. I only tow my boat (5400lb) a mile both ways, maybe three times a month during season. Other than that its been a good truck
I don't know anything about the dodges, but I can relate a chevy experience to you. I know somebody that had a chevy truck that was blowing pads every 15,000 miles. Everybody was saying that it was the way that he was driving, but I brake harder than that. After going through several sets, he finally found a dealer that was worth a bean. There is a clearance between the caliper and the spindle. His was too tight and when the caliper would heat up it would bind thus dragging the brakes. Just another thing to consider.

btw-if that clearance is too loose, the brakes will clunk.

bobby daniels 08-28-2002 12:09 PM

HEY DEAN, HOPE YOUR FINE ,HOWS YOUR VELOCITY ?
DID SELL 388 IT WAS A GOOD BOAT THANKS FOR SAYING HELLO :)

Rick252 08-28-2002 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Cord

I don't know anything about the dodges, but I can relate a chevy experience to you. I know somebody that had a chevy truck that was blowing pads every 15,000 miles. Everybody was saying that it was the way that he was driving, but I brake harder than that. After going through several sets, he finally found a dealer that was worth a bean. There is a clearance between the caliper and the spindle. His was too tight and when the caliper would heat up it would bind thus dragging the brakes. Just another thing to consider.

btw-if that clearance is too loose, the brakes will clunk.

Thanks Cord, I'll look in that direction

Category6 08-28-2002 12:37 PM

WAIT A MINUTE....how much is a thermostat, with gasket, gasket sealer and coolant? Guessing $30? And the hourly rate, maybe $80? Now that adds up to $110...so add in a little profit and it doesn't sound that bad....they do have over head and stuff. Am i right or wrong?

CigDaze 08-28-2002 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Category6
[B]...so add in a little profit and it doesn't sound that bad....they do have over head and stuff...[B]
Ya, but that's what the 80 bucks an hour is for...I don't think it's all going to the mechanic. (And it should have been 60 bucks for 45 minutes);)

pachangalpina 08-28-2002 01:09 PM

WRONG!!!! The labor rate has all this figured into it and the parts are sold at retail so they make money on the part also.

Chris288 08-28-2002 01:30 PM

I had an axle replaced by a FRIEND at a shop, 139.00 for the axle and 55.00 for one hour labor to install, total 200.00,,, a month later the other side went, got the axle for 45.00 through my uncle at a dealership, and paid the friend 55.00 for one hour labor, total 100.00,, friend told me not to bring my own parts in ever again..

mcollinstn 08-28-2002 08:06 PM

Interceptor

The clang is most likely the parking pawl disengaging under a load. Start using the parking brake before you let off the service brakes. Should hear no more clang. (the parking pawl is not designed to be under a heavy load like a steep grade, etc. - that is what the parking brake is for).

CigDaze 08-29-2002 07:13 AM

Interceptor,

mcollinstn's suggestion is a very good one as I too knew that sound well in my Bronco...It could also be excessive fluid line pressure. My tranny did much the same thing, a very hard bang when first engaging gear from park. In my case, the valve body was severely clogged and this resulted in some valves not operating through their designed range. It did not momentarily reduce pressure while shifting and the vehicle would hit hard and lunge a little.

Interceptor 08-29-2002 08:45 AM

thanks for the advice on the tranny issue.

ed