Notices

Dodge dealer rip-off

Old 08-26-2002, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dodge dealer rip-off

Driving down the road today and my 1999 Durango 40,000 miles overheated. I was sure it was the thermostat, but was in a bind for time and stranded so I wip it in my local Dodge dealer. I was expecting to pay abot $70-$80 to get a thermostat put in since it was a dealership afterall. Well guess what, $193.75 to put in a thermostat w/gasket and new coolant. Took them 45 minutes! The last time I go there for anything that the extended warranty don't cover!! And my last Dodge product if this is how far they bend you over and drive it home!!! I am gonna vent to some higher ups, even though I am sure it will do no good...
Old 08-26-2002, 07:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what's even worse??? All you really needed was the gasket. They leak all the time and the thermostat is always fine.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:06 PM
Registered

I am on my #2 Chrysler product, and definitely the last. It is the worst vehicle I have ever owned in my life.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Aw, cmon guys. We all know that U.S. automobiles suck almost as badly as their dealer service departments.

I don't know when it will ever change, but the dealers seem to be trying to run buyers off. Ammurrica does build the best dang trucks, though.

Know this: If your vehicle is out of warranty, you absolutely must require a price estimate before any work can be done. Otherwise you WILL get reamed.

Find a reputable and honest repair shop to handle your miscellaneous sevice needs. Save the dealer for lube service and warranty work (most dealers do offer competitive lube service rates).

A buddy of mine dropped his Jeep in for stumbling problems. They called him two hours later and had installed a fuel pump and an engine computer. $862.00 bill.

He called me, I told him that I could not get him a discount retroactively. When he told me what they had replaced, I told him that his computer was still in warranty and there should be no charge for that. I also told him to be sure to keep the old fuel pump since his troubles did not sound like fuel pressure.

They argued with him over the warranty, then folded, charging him only for the fuel pump. They argued over giving him the old fuel pump, and when pressed they did give him one. He dropped by and was happy about the computer being covered. He showed me the old fuel pump and asked me if I had any use for it (since I collect crap like that). I looked at it and deemed the pump out of a Ford. He got mad and went back to the dealership. They never admitted that they had not replaced his pump, but did refund the cost of the pump, charging him only for the labor for the pump replacement.

Consumer beware...
Old 08-26-2002, 08:49 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was 400 miles from home in August and my power steering pump died on my Tahoe. Two hours and $421. later I drove out with p.s. working again. I do have to admit they stayed past closing on a Friday afternoon to get me back on the road I was on vacation and planning to leave 6am Saturday morning. Thanks Cantin Chevrolet Laconia NH
Old 08-26-2002, 08:55 PM
packinair

BLAH BLAH BLAH.. it is Chryslers fault that you failed to get an estamate from the dealer.. Not all of US Dodge dealer are dishonest.. I am so sick of seeing these whining posts "BOHOO my dodge with 350,000 miles that I tow a 38" boat all the time with has tranny problems.."

Old 08-26-2002, 08:58 PM
packinair

OH yea, why not take it up with that local dodge dealer instead of slamming all of us. it is like saying "I was doing 75 in a school zone and I got a ticket, all cops are DICKS!!!" I don't think Troutly would like that any more than I like this

Old 08-26-2002, 09:45 PM
Registered

Packinair

I never said it was Chryslers fault the dealership f#$%ed me, but if I can not get it resolved through them I will let Chrysler know about it! Luckily my uncle is very good friends with the owner of the dealership, he said he would say something to the owner because he thought the price was crazy too. They did tell me how much up front, but I did not want to tow it somewhere else as I had something very important going on and had to get back on the road. I could of had it towed home and fixed it myself in 45 minutes for about $50, and that includes the tow bill. I am not trying to slam no one but who is involved! It was a rip-off plain as day. I would put thermostats in all day everyday for $200 a pop... This is not a whinning post, just another case of a business bending someone over, then places wonder why they end up without business...
Old 08-27-2002, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll have to agree that, $200 is a little excessive for a 45min thermostat replacement...
Old 08-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Rick252

1997 Ram 4X4 and I can't keep it in brake shoes. 3 sets of rotors and 8 sets of shoes. I only tow my boat (5400lb) a mile both ways, maybe three times a month during season. Other than that its been a good truck

Last edited by Rick252; 08-27-2002 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Dodge dealer rip-off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.