Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are headers so expensive? >

Why are headers so expensive?

Notices

Why are headers so expensive?

Old 08-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

The bigger question is why is EEEEEEEVERYTHING performance boating related so much more money. I understand the whole supply and demand, all the R&D and it's a niche market but look at motors as the largest example... You can get a 500hp long block crate motor complete and ready to drop into your hot rod on eBay for 6k!! I always just thought it was funny. I guess marinization costs 25k+ a motor.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
sent you a PM.
ed
try again, my mailbox was full
Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
The bigger question is why is EEEEEEEVERYTHING performance boating related so much more money. I understand the whole supply and demand, all the R&D and it's a niche market but look at motors as the largest example... You can get a 500hp long block crate motor complete and ready to drop into your hot rod on eBay for 6k!! I always just thought it was funny. I guess marinization costs 25k+ a motor.
You know BT just bought a new place in Discovery Bay right, how else does he pay the mortgage?
Old 08-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
ALL CMIs ARE NOT JUNK.

CMI gets a bad rap for all the 525 and similar header issues.

However, CMI submitted a spec for the 525s when they came out.
Mercury didn't like it. They wanted something cheaper.

What CMI ultimately accepted was a product that wasn't built as well, but built within the $$/spec they were willing to pay.
CMI built that spec and sold them thousands for OEM Mercury packages.

Then after the headers started to fail, CMI got the bad wrap as they everyone pointed fingers in both directions.
i think they forgot about the cheaper design on there billing for a set lol
Old 08-22-2014, 03:17 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Mercruiser (and CMI) are still in business.
I thought I would get more comments on this since alot of people own, or are high up, in a business here.

Take Marina's and other seasonal businesses for example.

To stay in business, many times you have to charge what it takes to stay in business, not just your product cost times a small percentage.

Nothing is very easy business wise...not much anyway.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Registered

auto industry get away with alot of chit . alot more should be recalled that doesnt . like for instance fords death wobble . holy chit that will fill a pants quick . ford nor the transportation safty has done nothing to adresse that . big buisness always wins
Old 08-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Registered

the real reason for there high price is cause fred from trick forgot to pay his invoice .... ouch
Old 08-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

So is the Gen X header CMI's sole design, direct replacement for the sport tube sweeper, with better quality stainless and manufacturing qualities maybe the first prototype the took to Merc.and was refused. I have CMI sweepers on my 540's with no issues, knock on wood. Personally I cant tell the two apart, well maybe a little where the tube welds up to the flange.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to charge a lot so that you can afford to keep an employee in the complaint department. Vicious circle I tell you.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the information. I also called CMI and they advise 3 things kill headers in this order. 1. Salt water, 2. Heat, 3. Vibration. That the average life is 12 years (apparently longer on fresh water only boats), and that the port header is the side most likely to fail because of heat - it gets the hottest seawater (last pass through heat exchanger). The new headers do not have the bypass hose which increases water flow by 20%, thus less heat. Now I want easy installation so which ones to get - Merc Headers (which are built by CMI) or the Gen X replacements which may be cheaper and possibly better (or not) Any experience here? thx again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.