** Formula 370SS Power Upgrade??? ***100MPH*** >

** Formula 370SS Power Upgrade??? ***100MPH***

Notices

** Formula 370SS Power Upgrade??? ***100MPH***

Old 09-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Fix the 500s, whipple them and set the motor up for it, and get XRB3s. Mid 70s easy
not looking to put blowers on, just an upgrade of parts being replaced for reasonable power increase with same reliability.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
what do you think about the B3's vs a single prop XR for speed? We have always had trouble with them in mid 80's and above. The extra prop becomes a drag at higher speeds. He's definitely gonna need XR's but i think getting away from the B3 is gonna help. Pretty heavy boat at almost 15K dry so maybe even an Arneson conversion (thinkin lottery again lol)

Rob (offshoredrillin) has had great luck with the builds Dave did at MGD. Strong turn key stuff and pretty much the most HP i have seen out of an ASM intake. Without introducing wind your just not gonna get much more then that plus you retain all the reliability. I was VERY impressed with Robs motors and what they got out of them.
Bob at Offshore Performance has been working on my boat this season (several issues, bugs...), very happy with his guys. I typically keep the boat on my lift in the off season but (bugs...) I have engine getting hot at speed, so needs to get looked at. Seems I am not getting enough water into the engines, prob corroded hose from drive.

Offshore Performance does this type of work and engine rebuilds, his advice just rebuild.

You guys might know a thing or two... But Hell, I've never been one to listen and enjoy swimming upstream, so if I know myself those motors are getting built up past 600HP and see what happens.

Lets get this 370 to 80MPH!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

OD has a point, when one thing gets pumped up it affects another downstream. Nothing's worse than having a boat in the yard sitting for service when the summer is flying by. I've never done anything to my boats that reliability hasn't been the #1 factor up front.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 370ss500efi
not looking to put blowers on, just an upgrade of parts being replaced for reasonable power increase with same reliability.
The bottom end on those is stout, best stuff going. Unless you are ready for a cam change, heads and new intakes build it back stock and run em hard.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 370ss500efi
I have engine getting hot at speed, so needs to get looked at. Seems I am not getting enough water into the engines, prob corroded hose from drive.
i had a similar issue with 525's turned out to be an ever so slightly loose hose on the suction side of the water pump (the one with the wire in it) it would creep up the gauge when running hard and cool off as soon as i dropped down to idle speed. The hose really wasnt that loose either, you could spin it but took some effort. Snugged it down tight and prob was gone and back to normal.

80 mph is gonna take some big cubic dollars . . . . bet yeah . . . . lets do it since we're spending your money
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL...

Obviously the B3's aren't going to survive a ton more hp or speed. Assuming all the data you gave us is spot on, and your stock 500efis are putting out 470hp to make 62.6, doing the bar napkin math with the current set-up, this is what it would look like...

If you want to touch 70, the math says you're going to need about 610-625hp a side.
If you want to touch 80, you're going to need about 800hp a side,
If you want to touch 90, Cough up enough cash to make around 1050hp a side
If you want to touch 100, 1350 a side MINIMUM to get you there...

And if you won the lottery and were really interested in being stupid (and could figure out how to make them fit) a pair of 1650's would get you up around 110-115mph. No promises on these numbers or what the ride would be like at that speed! I can't even begin to guess what the max the transom would accept before needing a little reinforcement...

Of course, what you do with your drives is going to have a huge effect. Rik from Arneson can probably help you with the numbers for the increased efficiency of their drives.

Last edited by Pilotpete; 09-03-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilotpete
ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL...

Obviously the B3's aren't going to survive a ton more hp or speed. Assuming all the data you gave us is spot on, and your stock 500efis are putting out 470hp to make 62.6, doing the bar napkin math with the current set-up, this is what it would look like...

If you want to touch 70, the math says you're going to need about 610-625hp a side.

And if you won the lottery and were really interested in being stupid (and could figure out how to make them fit) a pair of 1650's would get you up around 110-115mph. No promises on these numbers or what the ride would be like at that speed! I can't even begin to guess what the max the transom would accept before needing a little reinforcement...

Of course, what you do with your drives is going to have a huge effect. Rik from Arneson can probably help you with the numbers for the increased efficiency of their drives.
But if a plane is on a treadmill....
Old 09-03-2014, 08:08 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont like that boat without B3's or duoprops. They cant be beat for getting a boat that size and weight out of the water. Have Eddie Young build you 2x625's out of your motors and stick with the B3's. 70mph out of that rig would be impressive.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pilotpete
ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL...

Very nice this is what im looking for, the BS aside how do you think a 610-625 hp motor will hold up? If i run it nice mostly at cruise and open her up couple time a trip will the engines see 500 hrs before another rebuild??? Withthe additional HP what type of torque is expected and max rpm? Would a different prop size and pitch be recommended?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
But if a plane is on a treadmill....
You test that with an ultralight and a long strip of canvas!

LOL!

Now, if you're flying an LOC BC approach, inverted, and the needle is moving to the right, which way do you move the yoke?

Last edited by Pilotpete; 09-03-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.