** Formula 370SS Power Upgrade??? ***100MPH***

Notices

** Formula 370SS Power Upgrade??? ***100MPH***

Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 370ss500efi
Very nice this is what im looking for, the BS aside how do you think a 610-625 hp motor will hold up? If i run it nice mostly at cruise and open her up couple time a trip will the engines see 500 hrs before another rebuild??? Withthe additional HP what type of torque is expected and max rpm? Would a different prop size and pitch be recommended?
If you're bumping the rev limiter (personal, mechanical, or electronic) with your current set-up, you would have to re-prop to make use of the additional hp. As an example, my boat came from the factory with 454s. Previous owner upgraded to FWC 496s. Formula offered that as an option later. The difference is only 45hp a side. the 454 came with a 26P and the 496s came with a 28Cupped prop. Both will allow for near redline @ WOT. Talk to Brett at BBlades. He KNOWS his stuff! I spent some time on the phone with him and walked away MUCH better informed. (and saving my pennies to buy props from him!)

As far as torque numbers and how well the engine and drives will hold up, I can't think of a better resource on here than Eddie Young. I'm sure there are other guys on here just as well informed, I just don't know that many people here and if you read the posts about Eddie, he sounds just like Brett. Meaning, knowledgable, helpful, and just plain great guys.

I'm just a nerd at heart that loves to play "what if" with math.

Last edited by Pilotpete; 09-03-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Don't put any more power and in front of those drives unless you want to hate boating.

Seriously rebuild to stock specs and be happy

Or buy a different boat that already goes faster and is dialed in correctly.