Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat >

BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat

Notices

BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat

Old 08-27-2002, 04:39 PM
bmpnugls

OK tachyon - there IS a big difference between a gas turbine powered engine and a Reciprocating internal combustion engines:

Gas turbine engines have a great power-to-weight ratio compared to reciprocating engines. That is, the amount of power you get out of the engine compared to the weight of the engine itself is very good.

Gas turbine engines are smaller than their reciprocating counterparts of the same power. So, sizes being equal, the turbine engine will always be more efficient and make more power.

The main disadvantage of gas turbines is that, compared to a reciprocating engine of the same size, they are EXPENSIVE!!!!

Gas turbines also tend to use more fuel when they are idling, and they prefer a constant rather than a fluctuating load - hence the reason we don't see them in automobiles AND they work perfect for boats!!! BUT, by simply adding more and more fuel to the combustion process you increase power (to a point of course) where as with a reciprocating engine you have to add turbos, blowers, etc. at the expense of reliability.....

So, I still think the turbine powered boats should be segregated from the conventional power boats ......

Old 08-27-2002, 04:41 PM
DLG

Thank you Callan for bringing your boats, they sure are impressive. But, I do think they belong in a different race class then piston port engines.
I’ve always enjoyed milling around the docks looking at the cool iron much more then watching the runs. It’s too bad that some of the “affordable” stuff isn’t showing up any more. (Yes, I know that “affordable” is an oxymoron when it comes to these boats) A few years back Howard Arneson showed up in his turbine powered monster and ran (if memory serves me correctly) somewhere in the 160’s,.. exhibition only. That same year the “TOP GUN” award went to a Chris Cat at 114. What changed?
Correct me if I’m wrong (like I needed to say that) but Turbines aren’t allowed in offshore races,,, are they? I know that their allowed in Poker Runs but we’re told that those aren’t races.
Miss Bud has effectively run the cost of Unlimited Hydro to the point the only a small handful of boats even try to compete, hope that doesn’t happen to the shootout.
So what’s my point? I guess I agree with Bmpnugls. There needs to be two awards, one for turbines and one for piston port.

DLG

Old 08-27-2002, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have to ask a question of all of you participated or spectated at LOTO this year.

If you could only see one of the following participate in next years event, who would you rather see entered?

Budweiser's Hydro

or

Callan Marine's Turbine Boats

-S
Old 08-27-2002, 04:44 PM
283CHECK

T2x
283.......................Where is it written that life is fair?
Belive me I know that life is not fair!! I'm just kinda tryin to relate the feelings of what went on at the shootout... it ain't fair..it just ain't fair

Old 08-27-2002, 04:47 PM
Mrs 283Check

Originally posted by Mrs 283Check

On the topic of turbine powered boats there was one there "Flash Gordon" and someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looked like it was just somebody's boat. Had an open cockpit on it. He even brought it out and tied it up to watch the races on Sunday.
Anybody know?????

Old 08-27-2002, 04:49 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Default by the way~

Bernie Little owns the Bud..Not Augie..

Correct me if I am wrong...

HP is looking for a site in nearby Kentucky

marc
Old 08-27-2002, 04:57 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

First, let me say that I think the Shoot-Out was another terrific event of which I am very proud to have competed.

Second, I don't intend to get into any controversy here and won't comment anymore beyond this post. However, I just want to set the record straight about the change in the start procedure which took affect Sunday morning. I am sure that Kevin Rucker, Osage Beach Fire Chief and Chairperson for the event will verify this.

When I arrived Sunday morning Chief Rucker and his assistant advised me that they (the firemen) had met Saturday night and decided to change the start procedure. This was prompted because Callan Marine kept starting too fast on Saturday because they could not "cut" their turbine engines like the rest of us "direct drive" piston boats. To keep things fair, the firemen (and NOT Miss Budweiser) decided that all direct drive (crash box) boats would have to stop and kill their engines 500 feet before the official starting line. Then, when the flagman heard the engines were completely turned off, he would give the green flag which allowed us to fire and go.

Lastly, congratulations to all racers for competing. I think it was by far the best Shoot-Out yet!
Old 08-27-2002, 05:06 PM
MarinePerformance

Setting turbine power vs. piston power aside lets look at horsepower to weight.

Callan Marine
11,000 lb. - 5,000 hp - .45 hp per lb. - 169 mph

Bacardi Silver
8,600 lb. - 3,600 hp - .42 hp per lb. - 165 mph

Big Thunder
13,000 lb. - 4,400 hp - .34 hp per lb. - 156 mph

Budweiser
6,000 lb. - 2,900 hp - .48 hp per lb. - 192 mph

The difference here is not hp or the type of hp, it is the different hull type. There were a lot of catamarans and v-hulls but only one hydroplane.

Old 08-27-2002, 05:06 PM
cashmoney

When talking to one of the crew they said there are three boats , and that this one is the "rough water" boat.

look out !!! Next year they may take the top three spots

The guilty party
Attached Thumbnails BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat-shootout-004.jpg  

Old 08-27-2002, 05:13 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

OOPPS - But must post a correction!!

Bacardi Silver weighed 10,250 for the Shoot-Out and produces approximately 2700 total horsepower which yields .27 hp per lb.

Quick Reply: BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.