BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat

Notices

BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat

Old 08-28-2002, 11:12 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by tachyon
Just because someone has a crashbox or functional equivalent doesn't mean they should get a rolling/flying start. .
Tachyon, Have you ever been in a boat with crash boxes?

The rules were explained in the drivers meeting. They were very simple and clear. The boats with crash boxes were to approach at slow speed untill they were in the box, then the flagman would give them the start. This procedure is very safe and obviously much easier on equipment than a "start engines and nail it" aproach.
The Baccardi team did exactly as instructed in the meeting.
On the other hand, I whitnessed the Big Thunder team actually be on plane and accellerating when they were flagged for their start. Not exactly fair, but the Baccardi boat still spanked them, so moot point. Whether the Sunday rule change hurt or helped any given team, I am sure any that changes were made purley in the name of safety.
My hat's off to everyone that participated in the event, and gave their time, equipment, and money to support the local fire rescue and EMS departments. The Callan team brought some cool stuff to the event this year. I really enjoyed seeing them compete, and would love to get a closer lok at their toys sometime. Dave Scott and the whole Baccardi team are always a pleasure to watch. We get to see them at the APBA race sites and always enjoy the professional sportsmanship they bring to any event they attend. As for who was "about" to win the event, Who knows. While I may not agree with the way the Miss Bud team approached their entry into the event, I can't argue with the business aspect of their decision. As for the competition between Callan and Baccardi, I have no doubt that Dave Scott would want the honest competition rather than just having a trophy handed to him.
After all, he's a racer at heart.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gordo,

My point is that there were material discrepencies in speed into which the "box" was entered by the direct drives on Saturday. I used the words "rolling/flying" to highlight that they weren't "idling". I observed starts ranging from 10 - 35mph on Saturday.

BTW, I am very familiar with crashboxes and share your opinion on the stress a standing start exerts on the driveline but the "Topgun" award doesn't come easy to team or equipment.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:41 PM
Registered

Hey jb-

You're from up by my old stomping grounds. Stopped at Oneida Lake, Sylvan Beach and then was as up in ABay for 3 weeks July/August this year. Stayed in Swan Bay and went to Potter's Beach, Lake of the Isles, etc. Hope you got to participate in the 1000 islands poker run as well as watch My Way and Top Cat run.

As far as LOTO, I still feel that the Bud team was way out of line. Bacardi ran the exact same top speed as last year (165 mph). Based on previous years the speed was climbing a few mph per year. Callan beating Bacardi by 3 mph is definately in line and fair competition. Entering the Bud boat in an unsanctioned amateur race (with years of racing experience and exact knowledge of what it would run) to beat Scott by 27 mph and Callan by 24 mph is not competition, its buying the win. Obviously that decision was not made until the results of Saturday were known. Some of the event coordinators stated that the rules were written to omit drag boats. They never thought that someone would use the loophole to enter an unlimited hydro. I am sure the rules will be updated next year to eliminate hydros too and bring back fair and reasonable competition.

imho Callan Marine is TOP GUN 2002.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not let Top Fuel Hydros run for top honors if there going to let any boat in for top speed. Its not fair, and I totally agree!
Old 08-29-2002, 08:58 AM
jb
Registered

Speedster......yes yes and yes

Must have been fun for ya to get back to the old stomping grounds!

must be even better to live where you are now!
Before we sold the scarab a few weeks back we kept it on Oneida Lake. We get to the bay 3 - 5 times a year. Trying to get there more often!

Hows a northern guy get so south?
Old 08-29-2002, 09:05 AM
Boat Girl

gdfatha- Thank you for pointing out the true owner of Miss Budweiser Racing...Bernie Little...Although Budweiser is on the side of the boat, Bernie has owned that team for quite awhile...And anybody who follows Miss Budweiser and Bernie Little should know that his philosophy is WIN period...there are not points for second place...Dont get me wrong 192 is impressive, but is it really impressive for a boat that can run 220...

Can anybody tell me who Bacardi Silver merged with recently...

Callan Marine, Its nice to see you guys finally, I have visited your website, but cant find a phone number for you guys...wanted to contact you for a tour or something....your boats are very impressive, Sorry you kinda got the short end of the stick on this one, but please keep competing...Its good to see a new hat in the ring so to speak...Good luck to you....

Last edited by Boat Girl; 08-29-2002 at 09:08 AM.

Old 08-29-2002, 09:53 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Boat Girl - Bacardi Silver is a premium flavored malt beverage produced by Anheuser-Busch, Inc.

As far as all the discussion about Miss Budweiser taking TOP GUN honors, I would like to make a couple of comments based on my understanding of what happened.

First, Bernie Little has attended the Shoot-Out for the previous two yeas and ran his boat on an "exhibition" status because there were only piston engines boats competing. This year, he was unable to personally attend but sent his boat anyway for the enjoyment of the spectators. However, when he was advised Saturday night by his crew that millions of dollars worth of turbine powered boats had been brought in by Callen Marine to compete, he reevaluated his position. After all, Miss Budweiser is certainly legal by the rules of the Shoot-Out and now there were other turbine boats competing for TOP GUN. The crying about hydros versus cats is simply a "smoke screen" considering that nobody yelled foul in the past when a couple of drag boats showed up.

I respect Bernie for staying on the side lines in previous years(exhibition only) but also agree with his position to enter competition on Sunday. Bottom line is the rest of us were slower and Miss Budweiser is this years TOP GUN!
Old 08-29-2002, 10:05 AM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

NO, REALLY THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF WE WANTED TO SEE HYROPLANES RUN WE WOULD GO TO AN UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE RACE... IF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN STATED FROM THE BEGINNING THAT MISS BUD WAS INDEED GOING TO RUN I'M SURE NOBODY WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT SINCE IT WAS SUCH A LATE ENTRY IT ALL JUST SEEMS VERY SHADY TO ME. MY .02
Old 08-29-2002, 10:15 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally posted by Tbonepmp
NO, REALLY THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF WE WANTED TO SEE HYROPLANES RUN WE WOULD GO TO AN UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE RACE... IF IT WOULD HAVE BEEN STATED FROM THE BEGINNING THAT MISS BUD WAS INDEED GOING TO RUN I'M SURE NOBODY WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT SINCE IT WAS SUCH A LATE ENTRY IT ALL JUST SEEMS VERY SHADY TO ME. MY .02
PLUS, can somebody explain to me, (not being there @ LOTO) WHY the start box changed from 50 to 500 Ft.? Gordo mentioned that it might be safety related, I'm just curious as to how 500 Ft made it safer?
Just confussed?
MD
Old 08-29-2002, 11:04 AM
Callan Marine

We really enjoyed ourselves this year at the Shootout. The people and LOTO are very special and we are already talking about coming back.

When we arrived we didn't know what we didn't know. Now we do. You're lake has unique challenges (and I'm not talking about Miss Bud that we learned alot about participating in the event. I feel strongly that if speeds are going to significantly go up, i.e. approaching 200mph, that the course and safety infrastructure be re-evaluted to protect fans and participants in the future. I am confident that the Rescue workers who put on this amazingly well run event share my thoughts.

As far as the "crying about cats vs. hydros...", you'll never hear any here...as they say "run what you brung"... Bernie are you listening?

Thanks again to all,

Dave Callan

Quick Reply: BUDWEISER bends over CALLAN MARINE, Buys cover of Powerboat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.