Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Does anyone have any experience with Sea-Doo Seascooters? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/317631-does-anyone-have-any-experience-sea-doo-seascooters.html)

damdonzi 09-04-2014 08:08 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Sea-Doo Seascooters?

They look like something my kids would have a blast with, but huge recharge times.
Are they worth it? Pros? Cons?

buck183 09-04-2014 08:22 PM

I've never owned one personally, but everyone I talk to that has says the Aqua Scooter is the better way to go. The main complaint being run time on a charge.

We love our Aqua Scooter. It will wear you out long before it runs out of fuel. We use ours every weekend we are on the boat. I run about 2 gallons of gas through it a summer. Anyone that has owned one will tell you it takes a LOT of run time to go through two gallons of fuel in these things. I don't have to worry about getting halfway across our cove to see everyone and having a battery die on me either.

The only advantage I can see the Sea Doo model would have is the ability to dive deeper under water. If I were a diver or snorkeler I could see this making a difference. I have the longer snorkel on ours giving me the ability to go almost 3' under water.

Price difference between the two is about a wash either way. No replacement batteries to buy down the road with the Aqua Scooter either

Buck

damdonzi 09-04-2014 09:32 PM

Thank you. I was not aware of the Aqua Scooter. You hit on the one point I had a concern on which was when my turn finally came around it died a long swim back.

donzi matt 09-04-2014 09:40 PM

I have one and it is a piece of chit. Batteries will crap out if not on the charger all winter, you need to have at least two or it is only good for about 45 minutes a day, and for some reason on its second year it just crapped out, ironically only 2 weeks after buying a pair of brand spanking new batteries for it. Maybe the motor, maybe the switch, I haven't dug into it yet. Had I known of a cheaper alternative I would have bought it. At 300 bucks it isn't worth it.

Really the only reason I ended up with this is because my kids just had to have it, but after the prop sucked up my 9 year olds hair and she had to stagger up the beach with a 25 pound plastic pony tail dangling from the back of her head, they kind of look at it like a dog they think might bite them.

Sydwayz 09-05-2014 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by donzi matt (Post 4183305)
I have one and it is a piece of chit. Batteries will crap out if not on the charger all winter, you need to have at least two or it is only good for about 45 minutes a day, and for some reason on its second year it just crapped out, ironically only 2 weeks after buying a pair of brand spanking new batteries for it. Maybe the motor, maybe the switch, I haven't dug into it yet. Had I known of a cheaper alternative I would have bought it. At 300 bucks it isn't worth it.

Really the only reason I ended up with this is because my kids just had to have it, but after the prop sucked up my 9 year olds hair and she had to stagger up the beach with a 25 pound plastic pony tail dangling from the back of her head, they kind of look at it like a dog they think might bite them.

LMAO on all accounts. Good solid info though!

damdonzi 09-05-2014 07:37 AM

Wow. Sorry to hear it but thanks for sharing!

donzi matt 06-21-2015 11:28 AM

So I finally dug into this plastic bain of my existence that has been occupying way too much space on my screen porch. Turns out it has leaked water into it's nether regions and rotted out the circuit board. Looks like after throwing $110 worth of parts at it it may be back up to it's duties of underwater hair stylist.

I urge anybody to not buy one of these things, but if somebody happens to give you one, store it prop side up with the battery out to allow any water that has leaked in to possibly leak back out. Now that I know how this little Chinese rubik's cube comes apart I may just disassemble it at the end of the season to allow it to air dry instead of corroding the electronics. At least it is a good project for a rainy day like today up here in New England