Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Smoked a bearing on the trailer. Boat is stranded in Michigan >

Smoked a bearing on the trailer. Boat is stranded in Michigan

Notices

Smoked a bearing on the trailer. Boat is stranded in Michigan

Old 08-27-2002, 01:14 PM
Intolerant1

Angry Smoked a bearing on the trailer. Boat is stranded in Michigan

Anyone else who has read all the threads about carrying a spare spindle, bearing set, and related hardware and has not yet done so....here me now.

Towing from Chicago to South Haven Michigan on Friday went as usual. Stopped at the Marathon station at the South Haven exit and filled the boat (they sell mid grade at the same price as regular so we always go there). I always walk around the boat whenever we stop and put a hand on each wheel near the hub to feel for heat. Nothing as usual. Left the gas station and went to the house about 3 miles away and parked it for the night. Next morning, headed for the public launch about 2 miles away and launched w/o incident. After pulling out of the water, I noticed one wheel cocked at an angle. Further ispection revealed the entire Buddy Bearing assemble was missing. In fact, the only thing left was the spindle sticking out. No nut, cotter pin, bearings...nuthin. Jacked up the trailer and the wheel fell off with the brake drum. Brake drum is cracked as well as destroyed brake pads. Towed it over to a local shop who is trying to find parts. Looks like the spindle is undamaged. Hard to believe but it looks fine. Now I have to make a trip all the way back and still get the boat winterized (yikes, hate to say that) by Sept.4 since I have surgery on Sept.5.

The moral of the story, I am incredibly anal about checking and greasing bearings and have towed about 2500 miles this summer. Everything has a life span no matter how well maintained. Carry spares. I got lucky I didnt lose a wheel at 70mph. I still dont understand why there was no heat in the bearing which was surely failing when I got off the expressway.

The only question now is since I have to go back anyway, do I try and hit one day of the Grand Haven race ? Hmmmmmmmm

Old 08-27-2002, 01:16 PM
Intolerant1

Oh, one other note. The nut backed off over the cotter pin. The remains of the cotter pin were left in the hole at the end of the axle. The shop had to drive it out.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valve stim's

Another item to keep an eye on as the ruber they are made out of seems to deteroate faster than the tire dose. When they get hot they let go and you lose all the presure inside the tire. Then you have to pay $125 for one of those NEW Marathon radials (on the other thread) from the closet Good Year Dealer! Me and a Freind found out the hard way 1 hour north out of L.A. (So Cal)

Last edited by ragtop409; 08-27-2002 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:44 PM
Intolerant1

This whole thing has really F'd up my plans. The motor was supposed to come out of the boat this week. It was going to sit on an engine stand in the garage and be my winter project. I need somthing to keep me busy as I will be unable to work until sometime next spring. I guess the bright side is that the board wont be overloaded with questions about the motor I want to build. Then again, I'll have more time to spend here.....look out post whores, I'm bored and not working

Old 08-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Wild Horses

IT 1

You would think you had learned from my experience in Florida. The next trip down there I intend to bring a full replacement axle!!! Sorry to here about your loss..... loss of a good buddy named Bearing that is.

At least I was stuck in Miami and on the beach for three days.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u gota learn to rig it and not let it get in the way of your plans man...well unless you only have one axel
Old 08-27-2002, 02:14 PM
Intolerant1

Trevor, you remember that 83 foot yacht named Its a Wonderfull Life that was in Islamorada? Blue sides and looked like a huge offshore boat. It was in Saugatuk while we were there this weekend. Small world. Talked to the Captain who verified it was them in the Keys in March. I WANT HIS JOB!

Old 08-27-2002, 02:25 PM
post whores

i am looking out
and i will be waiting for you !!!

Old 08-27-2002, 02:48 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what I really hate is when the trailer come unhitched when you park. Sounds like the same gremelin to me.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:03 PM
Intolerant1

Cord, not sure what you mean? If your thinking maybe someone took my buddy brearing, its not possible. I have those chrome plastic hub covers with a hole drilled in the end so the buddy bearing is accessible. The chrome cover was still in place. In fact, it was the only thing in place!

Quick Reply: Smoked a bearing on the trailer. Boat is stranded in Michigan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.