Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are there any "trusted" marine crate shortblocks out there? just curious... >

Are there any "trusted" marine crate shortblocks out there? just curious...

Notices

Are there any "trusted" marine crate shortblocks out there? just curious...

Old 09-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are going to get what you pay for... If you are looking for "stock" 502's, a $4500 short block could work?? You say you have 540's, i imagine you are going to want to make some power... I strongly recommend to spend the extra money and do it once. I hear too many sad stories of people who want to save a buck, go for the kill and end up building things 2 or even more with junk..

We can help build you a correct and extremely and reliable short block or even more, but WILL NOT cheap out... We stand behind all parts we sell! ...cast engine parts break! I can send you pictures...

-Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
661-295-7000
www.teaguecustommarine.com
Old 09-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by teaguecustommarine
You are going to get what you pay for... If you are looking for "stock" 502's, a $4500 short block could work?? You say you have 540's, i imagine you are going to want to make some power... I strongly recommend to spend the extra money and do it once. I hear too many sad stories of people who want to save a buck, go for the kill and end up building things 2 or even more with junk..

We can help build you a correct and extremely and reliable short block or even more, but WILL NOT cheap out... We stand behind all parts we sell! ...cast engine parts break! I can send you pictures...

-Eric

TEAGUE CUSTOM MARINE
661-295-7000
www.teaguecustommarine.com
Awesome post.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

I have dealt with ateco... whippled 540. They assembled the whole engine. If i had it to do over i wouldve bought short block and assembled the rest. just make sure get scheduled delivery date in ink.

Also consider eddie young at young performance marine. I've called him a few times working through bugs on install of said motor, and he is as top notch as any business I've ever dealt with...

Last edited by PigNaPoke; 09-08-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I build my own stuff normally, what I am getting at is I have one that tossed a rod due to the builder being a hack, I bough a boat to get the engines and parted the boat out, I didn't build these....

So I need a whole new rotating assembly, rebalance and fully machine block, I did not verify piston to wall yet but does not look great... the other engine I have not taken apart yet but will assume it's hacked also and gonna cost me lots to fix properly.... full machining and balancing, parts and all gonna easily be 8-10,000 I will figure, so I was looking at getting shortblocks that are good done for like 10,000 for the pair, I can part my stuff out and get back a nice chunk....

I know you get what you pay for but also don't need 40,000.00 540's either, heads up is all good and fresh in min e since I redid heads and they have all the right parts now (they didn't before) so just need shortblocks...

its just an idea...most shortblocks I see are around 4500-5500 for decent parts...
Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
I build my own stuff normally, what I am getting at is I have one that tossed a rod due to the builder being a hack, I bough a boat to get the engines and parted the boat out, I didn't build these....

So I need a whole new rotating assembly, rebalance and fully machine block, I did not verify piston to wall yet but does not look great... the other engine I have not taken apart yet but will assume it's hacked also and gonna cost me lots to fix properly.... full machining and balancing, parts and all gonna easily be 8-10,000 I will figure, so I was looking at getting shortblocks that are good done for like 10,000 for the pair, I can part my stuff out and get back a nice chunk....

I know you get what you pay for but also don't need 40,000.00 540's either, heads up is all good and fresh in min e since I redid heads and they have all the right parts now (they didn't before) so just need shortblocks...

its just an idea...most shortblocks I see are around 4500-5500 for decent parts...
That thing tossed a rod but didn't hurt the block? That really surprises me.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes amazing just got the bottom of cylinders but no damage couple small chips
Old 09-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force

A pair of quality 540 shortblocks for $ 10,000. Not going to happen. Plan on 8k each IMHO for premium parts and why would you want to use anything else?

Wannabe
Old 09-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mine have scat/pbm was fine until rod let loose that was due to engine builder see my other thread
Old 09-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knowing that you want to make sure it's done right, I'd suggest having all of your stuff machined by a trusted shop and verify/assemble it yourself. Machine shops can hit you pretty hard, but at least you know exactly what you have...

Years ago I use to look at the asking prices for marine engines in the classifieds and think sellers were nuts. After going through all of this it's pretty clear $15k+ for a truly fresh engine with good parts is actually fairly reasonable.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:42 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Mercruiser has a "540 BRAVO 4v" available that produces 560 ft-lbs of torque. It a bobtail, drop in and go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.