Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Miller is an EXCELLENT driver! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/31793-miller-excellent-driver.html)

Shane 08-27-2002 04:49 PM

Miller is an EXCELLENT driver!

Miller got behind the wheel of my little 24 Skater this weekend. It was his FIRST time behind the wheel of a cat and I think his 2nd time in a cat. We went out Friday and I drove to get him aquainted as to the characteristics at both slow and higher speeds. Then he took over and we cruised at 40 then 50 then 60.... The next morning (of the run) we were certain to stay WAY behind everyone so as to not interfere. As we caught up to the back of the pack Miller began to experience some "snotty" water. He did a great job of not over driving it. In fact he somewhat under drove. This is certainly not common for first time cat drivers. As the day progressed and we "mixed" it up a little, (always staying to the extreme sides so as not to get in anyones way)Miller began to come into his own and showed a great deal of experience that he carried over from his years in vees hulls. He used tremendous common and navigational sense and really caught on to what it takes to drive a Skater. He began to become much more proactive in driving the boat and by days end I felt very confident in his driving. Thanks Miller for a GREAT time and such a mature respect for my boat. You are MORE than welcome to run with me ANYTIME!:)

Shane :cool:

Miller 08-27-2002 05:14 PM

Thanks for the complement, but the reality is that as someone said over the weekend "a trained monkey can drive".:p I really can't take credit for the way the boat handled the big water as you had all the control I was just a pair of hands and a big mouth, which you couldn't hear through my helmet and over the wind anyway. It was your seat time and experience that really made the boat easy to handle for a novice like me. I am thankful that you kept the boat well within my limited capabilities and did not trim it to the moon. Even at 100mph the boat was rock steady and I never once felt uncomfortable, anxious, nervous or scared and that is all due to your throttling not my driving. Thanks for respecting my limits and bringing us back safely.

In addition, I have to thank Philip Filipone for his advice to not "over-drive the boat". He gave me some invaluable pointers. For that I am grateful.

Lastly, I'll drive for you any time at any event. Just call me up.

eMotiondriver 08-27-2002 05:25 PM

Great to hear, I know how I felt the fisrt time in my 30 Motion
after my years in a 38 Scarab. WHAT a RUSH..:D

Doug

Shane 08-27-2002 06:28 PM

Hey Fred,

I will gladly sell you mine for the cost of me getting into a 28 Skater!;) :p

Miller 08-27-2002 07:51 PM

Forgot to mention, I might be able to steer at speed, but don't ask me to idle around others!!!! :D Thank GOD for RUBRAILS!:p

You know we should also ask the people who passed us, like TomCat, My Way, United Nations, et al. whether I kept my line before we say I did the job. I hope I stayed out of the way.:confused:

C_Spray 08-27-2002 08:16 PM

Shane / Miller:

Wow. What a mutual admiration society you guys make - get a room! (Just kidding, just kidding....) Glad to hear you guys had a good time. Since I'm starting on my 2003 calendar, I'll have to try and keep the 1000 Islands week clear next year......

Miller 08-28-2002 09:36 AM

Chuck, do I detect some jealousy? Don't worry, Shane still thinks you're the best driver he's ever ridden with and that the bat boat is the best boat ever designed...didn't mean to steal your thunder! (just kidding) :D

DJD 08-28-2002 10:54 AM

Miller is def def defenately a good driver, a good driver. Of coarse k-mart sucks, def def defenately sucks.
(rainman)