Notices

Lake Norman Area ?

Old 08-27-2002, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Norman Area ?

Anyone from the Lake Norman area ? Looking for some property up there and wondering how the performance boating is. I know alot of the Nascar guy's have some bad ass boats on the lake. Any info on the lake and property around it would be appreciated. Thanks, Wardey
Old 08-27-2002, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some bad toys up on Norman. All the cup guys with big $ live up that way, so on off weekends you'll see lots of them.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:30 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Wardey,

I think Lake Norman is one of the best boating lakes in the Southeast. The lake is around 30 miles long, expands into five different counties and has plenty of deep water. All the public access ramps have been completely redone over the last couple of years and are GREAT. There are two OK places for breakfast, three nice places for lunch & dinner with good bars and music on the weekends, and a couple of others that are OK. There are no hotels on the lake period. There is however one small motel we call the Bates Motel and one bed & breakfast.

The lake is marked pretty well with channel markers and shoal markers. There are a lot of shoals, but if you taht a weekend to learn the lake you can go from one end to the other and never be in less than 40 feet of water. The deepest reading I have ever found on the lake is around 120 Feet.

The south end of the lake is the hottest and most expensive to live in. This is because of all the Charlotte money. Coming north on I-77 out of Charlotte, you can access the lake at exits 25, 28, 30, 33, 36 and 42. All of these areas have developed at a rapid rate. I have not seen any lots on the lake less than $150,000 that are worth having and houses range to close to $10,000,000 with everything in between. There are a lot of condo's at exit #33 and most all the Nascar shops are in that area. I personally like exit #28 the best, especially the Pennisula area if money is not a problem. We have a membership at the Pennisula Yacht Club and it is "FIRST CLASS".

There are a lot of party people on the lake, we have net all types and most all our friends anymore are boating people from the lake. Check out this link, which also shows the "White Trash Bash" we had just last Saturday. Always something going on.

www.lknfun.com

That is LKN standing for Lake Norman which holds the world record for the most boats rafted in one line together.

There are also two air parks on the lake now and a lot of sea planes on the lake, nice if you are into flying.

You will see everything in the way of boats from cats, Baja's, Fountains, Black Thunders, Formula's, Hustler and OuterLimits. There seems to be more Baja's and Fountains than anything followed closely by Formula.

There are eight dry storage warehouses. A West Marine off of exit #28. Only two dealers actually on the lake and none are performance boats. Formula is off of exit #28, Baja off exit #33 and Fountain down in Charlotte close to the airport. Several hotels off I-77 at exits #25 and exit #36.

I hope this helps a little. Let me know if you have more questions and I will try to help you out.

Mark
Old 08-28-2002, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dock, I'm really looking forward to coming up to LN and checking things out. I've been by there thousands of times and want to stop every time. Looking to move back up to the NC area in a few years and I would like to find a nice lot on the lake to build on. Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it. The only way I can leave FL is to live on a nice lake. I live on a island down here so I have to have some water around me up there!!! Thanks again, Dave Warden
Old 08-28-2002, 09:03 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Dave,

Glad to help.

Let me know the next time you are in the area and we will be glad to cruise you around the lake.

A good buddy of mine was moving from Chicago to Florida six years ago, stopped at Norman and stayed. He plans on buying a condo in Florida for the winter months, but loves it up here.

Take care,
Mark