Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Chicago, should I take it or leave it? >

Chicago, should I take it or leave it?

Notices

Chicago, should I take it or leave it?

Old 08-26-2002, 07:51 PM
jpc

Default Chicago, should I take it or leave it?

I've been offered a position in Chicago, I curently boat in Lake St Clair and Lake Erie (Detroit). Yeah, I know Chicago vs Detroit, bla bla, bla. What I want to know is what's the boating like in Chicago? Where do you go without beating your fillings out? Other than crusing the river do you have any place to go? I live on a lake now and trailer to LSC or Erie. I know that living on the water goes away. Other than some more money (and higher cost of living) what to I get in the way of boating?

Old 08-26-2002, 08:04 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would love to leave Chicago for a warmer climate, but I cant because of the lake front. We have the river for the bad days. And when it's decent out the choices are endless, cruising the harbors, Navy Pier, the beaches, " quiet time " in the middle of the lake. his has to be one of the priemer places in the country for boaters.

Bestthing to do would be come out and spend day or weekend here and see whatyou think.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your job allows you to be flexible, you can get a lot of boating in. The bigger your boat, the more good days you can have. I live farther south, but we love to run to Chicago when the weather is good.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can run Lake Erie,you can certainly run Lake Michigan..But there are alot of options...Chain O Lakes,Illinois River..etc.
Like ob said,would love to live in a warmer climate,but our lakefront is a beautiful thing.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:13 PM
Registered

JPC,
If you have a smaller boat there is a group of lake to the North of Chicago called Chain-o-Lakes. It is about 40 miles outside the city, nice place to live and boat, if you don't mind the commute. There is also lots of smaller waterways in the area. There is also the Illinos River south of the city along with some other waterways. If you do have a larger boat Lake Michigan is the way to go, there are so many places to go and things to do - it just can't be beat.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:59 PM
Registered

jpc,
What kind of boat do you have? Lake Michigan is a great place to boat. There are plenty of beaches north and south of the City. A lot of boats hang out by Olive Park AKA as the playpen.

If you have a smaller boat there is the Chain o lakes. South of the City you have the Illinois River. There are other choices other than the lake but once you've been on Lake Michigan there's no substitute. Tell us what you like to do when you boat and we can offer more suggestions.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Chicago, should I take it or leave it?-chicagooso.jpg  
Old 08-27-2002, 08:28 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts
Cool

And LOTO is only 7hrs away from Chicago! Muwahahaha!!!

The only thing that i can and will complain about is the fact that downtown doesnt have more boat friendly bars/restaurants! They are missing out on soooooo much revenue from us. But it is looking up though! Bob Chins is now open for business and they should have piers installed by next season! Woohooo!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-27-2002, 06:23 PM
Registered

IF YOUR GOING TO BE IN THE CH AREA THERE IS LOTS TO DO BUT BETTER..... PROBLEY SOME OF THE NICEST PEAPLE, YA THERE ARE SOME DING DONGS BUT THATS EVERYWHERE, THERE IS LOTS OF BEACH TWARD THE INDIANA BORDER WHICH IS WHERE I BOAT MAINLY, BUT THERE IS A KICK ASS BEACH IN GARY CALLED WELLS ST BEACH, I LIVED THERE FOR 19 YEARS AND HAD TO MOVE AWAY A BIT INLAND, BUT GO THERE NO **** EVERY DAY THAT ITS WARM AND FLAT ENOUGH TO ANCOR, EVERYONE IS COOL THERE, THERE IS PLEANTY OF BOATS AT LEAST 50% ARE OFFSHORE PERFORMACE BOATS, THERE ARE WARM WATER DISCHARGES AROUND SO THERE IS ALWAYS SOMWHERE WARM TO SWIM, FROM THE CH RIVER ITS ABOUT 30 MIN AND 30 MILES AND HOUR, SO ITS NO BIG DEAL, LIKE THE ONE GUY SAID COME AND TRY IT OUT FIRST,
Attached Thumbnails Chicago, should I take it or leave it?-august-21-2002.jpg  
Old 08-27-2002, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy do I miss Lake Michigan! Moved south to KY in 90. Do love the Cumberland and Dale Hollow though. Ohio River is good as it is close. Best time I ever had was crossing from Grand Haven to Chi. You will find plenty to do around there. Take up some board members for a tour, gotta see it.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:06 PM
jpc

Thank folks, you've all been a great help.
I guess like some of you suggessted, a road trip with boat in ow might be in order.