Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   service adivce/help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/318095-service-adivce-help.html)

way2fast 09-17-2014 01:44 AM

service adivce/help

my old cig was leaking oil out of the drive…in its dry storage…. no big deal its just a trim hose thats gone thats needs replacing….. next thing I get a quote for $850
I ask why as the hose is $25. I'm running pretty basic 502 mercs. they say because TRS drive gearbox's are labour intensive that they don't know how much work it will be so 850 could be worse…
I'm being made fun of ????

3pointstar 09-17-2014 07:23 AM

I think the marina owner has an alimony payment and wants to get it met with you -- why don't you just replace it yourself -- a trim hose is not rocket science. I can even do it and I'm not a wrench turner by any stretch of the imagination. You may need to purchase some flair wrenches so you don't screw up the fittings - on and off- and you probably would want to spay some type of rust buster on before you attempt to remove.

What's the worse that could happen? Go for it!

all the best

3pointstar

soldier4402 09-17-2014 08:34 AM

if indeed its just the part I would part plus labor should be $200 worse case. Your talking an hour of labor

mike tkach 09-17-2014 08:42 AM

something just does not make sence here,850. to change a trim hose is crazy.i suspect that the quote was for a much more serious leak.

SB 09-17-2014 08:53 AM

Ya never know.

I got a $4+K quote to replace a shift cable boot. Marina says they reseal the drive at the same time. I told them I had a brand new drive on there...which it was. I just put the drive on Sunday PM and noticed the boot. I was too busy at work that week and was willing to pay them so I could be on the water for an important week-end. They told me that's the only way they do it.

Sad part is , I knew them well, they even called me for advice on lots of things.

What the fuk ??????

soldier4402 09-17-2014 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4189489)
something just does not make sence here,850. to change a trim hose is crazy.i suspect that the quote was for a much more serious leak.

kind of what I am guessing.

compedgemarine 09-17-2014 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4189491)
Ya never know.

I got a $4+K quote to replace a shift cable boot. Marina says they reseal the drive at the same time. I told them I had a brand new drive on there...which it was. I just put the drive on Sunday PM and noticed the boot. I was too busy at work that week and was willing to pay them so I could be on the water for an important week-end. They told me that's the only way they do it.

Sad part is , I knew them well, they even called me for advice on lots of things.

What the fuk ??????

next time they call for advice tell them you need a credit card first. thats the only way you do it.

donzi matt 09-17-2014 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4189491)
Ya never know.

What the fuk ??????

Do tell, which one?

way2fast 09-18-2014 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 4189489)

exactly my point no it wasn't!!!
i asked why so much and the claim is expense due to intense labour of trs drives (uncommon in my location) gearbox location

SB 09-18-2014 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine (Post 4189780)
next time they call for advice tell them you need a credit card first. thats the only way you do it.

We stopped all forms of communication after that.

I only typed 1/2 the reason for my anger. The other part almost put me in the funny farm.
And you think the 1st part was bad.

Originally Posted by donzi matt (Post 4189795)
Do tell, which one?

I'll tell you some time in person - the whole story. It was that f*king brutal !