Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
SBI Unlimited Class Offered New Schedule for 2015 >

SBI Unlimited Class Offered New Schedule for 2015

Notices

SBI Unlimited Class Offered New Schedule for 2015

Old 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Instead of the word "professional" could it be replaced with something like "professionalism"? The racers have been the demise of this sport, maybe some professionalism will attract some corporate backing so the racers dont have to fund the prize purse. I stayed out of this as was based on the Unlimited class and really didnt apply to my team. Now that SVL was brought into it and the hearing for quite some time about the possibility of a trickle down to other classes heres my 2 cents. The slot package is an option. You can still pay the normal equipment/member fees and still race Once again one great thing SBI is known for is that everything is in black and white. All fees are spelled out with a guaranteed prize purse and you know from get what you have to spend and what you will recieve. No drivers meetings after you get there and you get told..oops there isnt a purse... The racers have a simple choice when you have everything spelled out and dont have to play guessing games

The positive is that now the organization can go to the site and say "X amount of boats are showing up" This is huge and the organizations yes, have a very very general idea, but someone used the word Nascar, nascar can guarantee 43 cars will line up on Sunday, Offshore cant make any guarantee.

Heres the negative I see in this whole deal: You have listed Pt Charlotte, Cocoa, Clearwater and Key West as the slot races meaning thats where you will race. If I am a promoter of the other 4 sites and paying sanctioning fees in upwards of 6 figures, wouldnt I have the rite to call foul? You are now taking the "main draw" away from me attracting sponsors and fans to participate in order for the site to even have a chance at breaking even. Now your talking into the future where this slot package trickles down to the other classes and basically your saying that no boats will go to the other 4 sites. I know JC thinks things over 500 times before he releases something and there is a plan, but a 4 race series, isnt that a step backwards?

Doc you hit the nail on the head, more of the same wont work.

I am not saying I am right, I am not saying I am wrong, but somebody please enlighten me, and please that somebody be someone that is NOT a class 7 racer, a photographer, and/or the lead pot stirrer.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 09-25-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:17 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing

I am not saying I am right, I am not saying I am wrong, but somebody please enlighten me, and please that somebody be someone that is NOT a class 7 racer, a photographer, and/or the lead pot stirrer.

Thanks in advance
Almost sounds like the photographers should refrain from making comments?
I have nothing more to add, I wished the Class well after clarification was made.
You need enlightening, call JC directly.....

Now I suppose I should shut up and just post pics ..... Hint taken....

Good luck with the SV Class when they decide to do the same ...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saratoga Stamped
We may only agree to disagree on this topic,,,,,,,

But, this will not kill the class, it will transition it from a hobby to a professional sport.

It is irrational to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect that it will produce better racing results the next season.
Changing the structure for SBI-SV (SVL) for annual fee of ($15 - $25,000) per team would be an investment towards professional racing,
It is a time to stop celebrating the past and shape the future of the professional sport
Now I have no opinion one way or the other how this affects Unlimited, hopefully this is something that everyone in this class has discussed, agreed upon, and works for them.. Good luck

But for SV, if I am reading this right.... If myself as a current SV (SVL) racer, in a class that is already fun, competitive, has some of the highest boat count by class, and is now somewhat affordable.... I can put up an additional $25k, it will solve all of the shortcomings in the class by weeding out everyone that does this as a hobby, and I can be called a professional and be a part of a professional racing class? I am getting out my checkbook.. Well done..
Old 09-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered

Just announced today that Envy is dissolving.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Registered

Totally wrong direction they need spec class engines like under 600 inches any head and car berated 1471 blowers not 1650 turbo mers let's face it five or six boats with 1250 horsepower is a holel lot better than one or two with 1650s that do not Finish you can build 4 good blower motors for the cost of one 1650 mery look what spec motors did for super cat class make it cheaper not more expense

Last edited by brian walls; 09-28-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine if you are a non "slot" boat and knock a "slot" boat out of the side purse. That will cause some hard feelings.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brian walls
Totally wrong direction they need spec class engines like under 600 inches any head and car berated 1471 blowers not 1650 turbo mers let's face it five or six boats with 1250 horsepower is a holel lot better than one or two with 1650s that do not Finish you can build 4 good blower motors for the cost of one 1650 mery look what spec motors did for super cat class make it cheaper not more expense

you are correct about setting some rules. but the boats with that power will be only slightly faster than the super cats.(size and weight of bigger boats). my opinion it would better to add the boat count to the supercats than create another class of ridiculous costs big boats that confuse the fans.

I predict only the #3 Unlimited team will put up the money for the new revised unlimited series (their baby). The other boats will opt for the "slot option" and put that money towards equipment,fees and racing races next year.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
Imagine if you are a non "slot" boat and knock a "slot" boat out of the side purse. That will cause some hard feelings.

Wah, What do you mean by "knock" ? hit. strike,fowl? anyways the way I take it is: If you are a "non slot" boat and come in first you win the Championship, but not the purse$. Slot boats pay up front and race for the winnings. Each team makes it's own decision before the season starts based on the SBI "slot rules" to either enter as "slot" or not and in turn pay fees as they go. Racing is racing stuff happens, good, bad or indifferent, we all know that and have seen it. I don't feel there will be any issue on the race course and find the SBI proposal inviting. Curios what decisions have been made, any news? Thanks

Last edited by I'CE; 02-28-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:49 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by I'CE
Wah, What do you mean by "knock" ? hit. strike,fowl? anyways the way I take it is: If you are a "non slot" boat and come in first you win the Championship, but not the purse$. Slot boats pay up front and race for the winnings. Each team makes it's own decision before the season starts based on the SBI "slot rules" to either enter as "slot" or not and in turn pay fees as they go. Racing is racing stuff happens, good, bad or indifferent, we all know that and have seen it. I don't feel there will be any issue on the race course and find the SBI proposal inviting. Curios what decisions have been made, any news? Thanks
It is my understanding that no Unlimited teams signed up for the Slot class.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Matt, thank you for the updated information. So Unlimited racing will remain in "status quo mode" I can see the potential inherent problems, but it seems a venturous idea on John's part. Maybe and just maybe the numbers need work. I'm not in the "know" but the idea seems exciting and worth testing in some way. Then grow from that. It is "their" decision so be it. Best of luck and be safe to ALL the competitors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.