Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Couple of trailer question's for a 33ft Boat! >

Couple of trailer question's for a 33ft Boat!

Notices

Couple of trailer question's for a 33ft Boat!

Old 08-29-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FunHome,

If you don't have enough tongue weight, you can try moving the axles back...

Sean
Old 08-29-2002, 09:31 AM
jb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread. I never tied the Scarab in the back...will from now on with future boats.
Call a few trlr mfg on set ups for your boat. That should get some ideas flowing. good luck
Old 08-29-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Guy's for all the idea's!!

I do strap down the back when were are going on a long trip, if it's just around town I usually don't.

The Bow Catch has already been moved as far foward as it can be. I'll look into moving the Axle's back, but then it still is a little to long for this trailer.

I have heard of south Florida trailer's, and I'll look up Performance Trailer, what about any other's??

Thanks Again!
Old 08-29-2002, 10:07 AM
Registered

Brad,
I bought a Towmaster for my 33 last fall. Good prices and good quality. You are welcome to take a look at it if you want. It is at LOTO. The only thing I don't like about it is that the bunks extend past the frame. I'm thinking about bolting on an extension to the frame protect the outdrives.

Doug
Old 08-29-2002, 10:13 AM
.XO.

Thumbs up

I just bought a new Formula 330 Sun Sport this spring and had Brad at NEXTRAIL trailers set up the trailer. They are a South Florida alumium
style trailer with torsion axles and bunks. I can't say enough about these guys....they really
know trailers!!!! There # is 1-800-928-8533

Old 08-29-2002, 10:56 AM
Registered

I use tie downs on both transom eyes. Make sure they are strong enough to lift the trailer without breaking. You want the trailer to always stay with the boat so if you think about it, this makes sense. I have begun putting another strap at the bow as Troutly suggests. Keeps the boat very well secured.

The rule of thumb for toungue weight is 10% as Shane indicated. My personal experience is keeping it between 5% and 10% of the towed load will prevent most sway problems. Also remember that the more axles you have the less likely the trailer is to sway and can allow you to reduce your tongue load. A single axle trailer should be set up in the 10% range where a triple can be somewhat lower but never below 5%.

As for drives, if they tend to move while towing I will tie them off to keep them centered, if they stay in place, I don't. I have had some boats that move and some that didn't.

As for the comment about short versus long trips and tie downs. I would recommend any time you go on public roads with the boat tie it down. Your just as likely to have an accident towing to the local ramp as you are across country. I have heard some say more likely, but I think that might be a result of the percentage of time you drive local than on long trips.

Sorry to be so windy. I tow my boat over 10,000 miles a year and take it very seriously. I also see a lot of people with boats taking unnecessary risks and like to provide as much help as I can. Just my .02
Old 08-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Offshore Addiction

AMERICAN HIGH PERFORMANCE,10% above cost......got one under my race boat....thouands of miles a year.....give us a call 813-247-3049

Old 08-29-2002, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I too strap the transom of our Baja 240. It's a good safe practice. I also started clamping on the trim cylinder stops this year. For $20 it's cheap insurance in case a hydraulic hose should ever leak and drop the drive to the pavement.

I'd put a vote in for Heritage Trailers. They are custom made to fit YOUR hull and they will color match as well. Ordered mine from the dealer I bought the boat from in Oklahoma and Heritage delivered it to my local dealer for pickup. (boat was delivered to the lake). The trailer pulls great and has never swayed at all. A real top quality product.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

A recommendation for Owens & Sons in St.Pete.