Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Respect (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/318736-respect.html)

akaboatman 10-05-2014 12:08 AM

Respect

Do we still respect our boater friends. I wonder? I do an I look forward to seeing all of you on the water. God Bless. Artie

AB From Windsor 10-05-2014 08:46 AM

RESPECT!

When I was growing up, we were taught to respect people such as parents, teachers, adults and everyone else that you met. I can say that now a days RESPECT by many is lacking, many kids don't even know what that means. I have had personal experiences with some on here, have given some members DVD's of Events, no charge for DVD and shipping, just felt like they would like to see their boats just like I would like to see mine. Many times I never heard a thank you back from them and that made me wonder why I would try to do something in the first place, never wanted anything but feel that a thank you, would be nice and appropriate. When something was sent to me I was appreciative and made sure to thank that person or organization and yes, there are many on here that are respectful and have said thank you but quite a few that aren't.

Crude Intentions 10-05-2014 10:38 AM

Respect is lacking something fierce these days. It's also directly tied to manners. Small words that were embedded in me. Yes ma'am, yes sir, please and thank you. If I'm out and see a boat with engine hatch, motor cover whatever open and or off I always swing by to make sure they are ok.

I grew up on the Chesapeake bay and most people were like this and helpful back then. Haven't boated there in years but its obviously different now a days. Watch you tube, people would rather film a screw up for hits rather than lend a hand.

akaboatman 10-05-2014 10:44 AM

Yes Sir AB From Windsor. I agree with you. I've met the best people in the world at poker runs. Great people in our sport. Hope it stays that way. Some of the thing you read on here make you wonder. I know an respect a lot of people on here an look forward to seeing y'all on the water. Artie

akaboatman 10-05-2014 10:47 AM

Well said. I.C.U. Lookin.

Speedracer29 10-05-2014 11:32 AM

I towed a stranded PONTOON a mile to their dock this summer....They were stranded in a channel and several boats passed them by. That was my aquatic good deed for the summer.
As for day to day operations on land- I'm polite, I'm courteous, and I have a plan to kill everyone I meet.

fastdonzi 10-05-2014 08:05 PM

I once sent someone on a " SS SilveradoTruck Forum" Some parts they where seeking, For free, I paid shipping, Never heard a Friggin thing, Thank you/Screw You Nothing.... I just chalked it up to the way people are today. When Im on the boat I wave to other boaters (Even Bass Boaters) and Kind of expect a wave back. I have pulled in other boater for miles and never expected a dime. I have also been pulled in and had people ask for money, which is okay if its gas money, but when they think all the sudden they think they are a rescue service and want $100-$200 for a 1 hr boat trip it starts to piss me off... way back when I started boating everyone waved and helping someone out for free was just the way it was, Oh how people & times have changed, And Not for the better :(

tbirdusa 10-05-2014 08:18 PM

To show respect these days is a sign of weakness. Intimidation is now what is considered respectable. Its a hoodrat kind of world and disgusting.

When the towers fell, people held the door for each other, drivers would let you in line in a parking lot. Didn't take long for that courtesy to common man to go by the wayside.

Anyhow, be nice to your fellow man. Buy a guy with the Bayliner a beer and tell him its nice to see you on the water with your family, even show him how to tie up that boat.

Jupiter Sunsation 10-05-2014 08:41 PM

I thought this was going to be a Derek Jeter send off thread!