Notices

Ben Kramer to be released!?!?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
By the 80's one needed at least a 33 foot boat to be competitive in the Production classes. [/url]
Sorry Charlie...but by the 80's...one needed a CAT!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
apparently not....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDV7vHF2G4
Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes Aronow was and than relocated to Miami Beach in 1959. Ben I don't know.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Don & Shirley, his wife lived in South Orange N.J. My family lived down the block from him

He was born in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn
Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow!!!
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 211 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
I didn't realize that cats were around in the 80's.

I thought cats were just a by-product of the Schwartzcraft design ....for lakes and calm waters that didn't work!

Sorry.....you mean the 1980's not the 1880's. I remember you are old as dirt that is why I have to double check the dates.

See you @ OFF and we can debate the best design for paddle powered riverboats..........
Old 10-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 579 Likes on 239 Posts

The first Cat out there circa 1876 designed by the Old Man. Even than the cats created a controversy and it was soon banned from competition.

Warning --May Burn your Eyes

Once again a idea that everyone thought was revolutionary was a simply the reintroduction of a very old design.

As these guys had already been racing across thousands of miles of open ocean throughout the Pacific ,navigating simply by stars long before the Nile was being torn up by the much slower unconquerable Egyptian Apache.

Last edited by tommymonza; 10-23-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 579 Likes on 239 Posts

Once again another Revolutionary idea Surfaces

ORLO III 1921
At Thirty Five Feet With 2 Liberty V-12's ORLO III Hit 70 mph. Even today 85 years later 70 mph on water is really moving. It's about the same as going 140 on land.

In 1920 Hickman opened a boatyard in West Mystic, Connecticut and started building a series of raceboats with the peculiar name of ORLO. In Feb 1921 at the Fisher Trophy Series ORLO II broke the record for marine (rather than aircraft engined) "displacement" boats. She lost the race because of poor turning ability and an engine that Hickman believed was sabatoged.

A few months later ORLO III appeared and with regular marine engine was hitting 57 mph but loosing the races in the tight turns. In the Wood-Fisher Trophy Race ORLO III was fitted with two Liberty V-12's but was not allowed to officially enter. A very frustrated Hickman who took this personally as chicanery entered it unofficially, but ORLO III blew it's clutch and did not finish

Look at the stern of this boat and notice what is popping its head out of the water.

All Business

SEIDMAN: Two years later Hickman gave racing another chance, this time in partnership with George Crouch a prof at the Webb Institute for Naval Architecture. (and a Sea Sled owner / advocate) They worked together on building Rainbow IV for Canadian yachtsman Harry B. Greening. Crouch's hull was double ended with transverse lapstraking bottom. She planed amidships with her pointed stern supported by a Hickman surface propeller that delivered 18% lift and 82% thrust.

Rainbow IV was the Ist prop riding racing boat ever made, predating those of its claimed inventor, Arno Apel by XVI years!

A neat little write up on Production cats back in the day

http://www.powercatboat.com/history/History.htm

Last edited by tommymonza; 10-22-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Once again another Revolutionary idea Surfaces

ORLO III 1921
At Thirty Five Feet With 2 Liberty V-12's ORLO III Hit 70 mph. Even today 85 years later 70 mph on water is really moving. It's about the same as going 140 on land.

In 1920 Hickman opened a boatyard in West Mystic, Connecticut and started building a series of raceboats with the peculiar name of ORLO. In Feb 1921 at the Fisher Trophy Series ORLO II broke the record for marine (rather than aircraft engined) "displacement" boats. She lost the race because of poor turning ability and an engine that Hickman believed was sabatoged.

A few months later ORLO III appeared and with regular marine engine was hitting 57 mph but loosing the races in the tight turns. In the Wood-Fisher Trophy Race ORLO III was fitted with two Liberty V-12's but was not allowed to officially enter. A very frustrated Hickman who took this personally as chicanery entered it unofficially, but ORLO III blew it's clutch and did not finish

Look at the stern of this boat and notice what is popping its head out of the water.

All Business

SEIDMAN: Two years later Hickman gave racing another chance, this time in partnership with George Crouch a prof at the Webb Institute for Naval Architecture. (and a Sea Sled owner / advocate) They worked together on building Rainbow IV for Canadian yachtsman Harry B. Greening. Crouch's hull was double ended with transverse lapstraking bottom. She planed amidships with her pointed stern supported by a Hickman surface propeller that delivered 18% lift and 82% thrust.

Rainbow IV was the Ist prop riding racing boat ever made, predating those of its claimed inventor, Arno Apel by XVI years!

A neat little write up on Production cats back in the day

http://www.powercatboat.com/history/History.htm
cool stuff tommy.always like reading the history of boating and all there players.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Thanks Parnell

Sorry for bringing all this old chit up . Just curiosity.

Yea I finally found a thread that mentions that Doug had bought the 41 mold at the government auction of Ben's Apache company.

Sucks what happened at Saber , great guys I met them when they were building their very 1st 28 many years ago.

Your 21GT is beyond Awesome . So whats the next work of art to come?

Did you go to FHN or FHC ? I am a graduate of FHN 1982.
Been working on a 1969 Chris Craft Commander for the past three years which is done this spring. Still have an open bow 1973 Magnum laying around but taking a break for a while and enjoying the boats I have.
FHN 81

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.