Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015 >

Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015

Notices

Sarasota Going With New Race Organization/Series In 2015

Old 10-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love racing in Marathon. Racing under the bridges is awesome!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I wonder how marathon and sarasota feel about the boat count for the race they are paying for has been caught up in a power struggle.

So we now now that a race site isn;t negotiated, signed, sealed and delivered in 48 hours, How long has this been in play, who knew about it? Its obviously been a covert back room black ops event on both sides, what happened that caused the partial release of information? Conspiracy theorists have at it!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Its funny some people want to make you think there is Zero dollars made for putting on a race. Do you think JC would do it for fun? or Kindness? No, He's pocketing a chunk.... Anyone remember the Racers Edge article called " Cha Ching" stating the specifics of entry fees/Money Paid out???
Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I don't think anyone would care if a new organization with a great business plan popped up in the USA. Let them do the hard work and find a new race venues that can write a check, find a volunteer base and produce a quality race. Put up some big prize money and some teams will attend. No one will care... But to steal a long standing SBI race site is not cool, hence hard feelings and a new race in Marathon that will draw all the SBI teams. So how does this benefit Sarasota in the long run? I guess it's not all about the charity.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Registered

I love running under the bridges to but I also love going down Main Street Sarasota with tons of pepole standing and screaming and I love when u come around the corner and see a huge spectator crowd of boats and pepole cheering you and your fellow racers on not showing up into a town were they don't even Know why u r in town or that there is even a boat race that weekend or u get stuck in a dirt paring lot with wild monkeys

Last edited by cshantry; 10-15-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I bet this happened quick. Marathon has been an SBI race site in the past. They have a bunch of newly remodeled hotels and it's the same TDC that SBI deals with for the Key West race. SBI has a bunch of teams with no place to go on July 4th....so....now they'll all be going to Marathon. This was Sarasota's choice. I'm sure SBI would have signed for another year with them and I'm sure that Marathon was thrilled to scoop up that race date.

Is this all good for the sport? We'll see in the long run but it sure doesn't appear so.

And somehow a few people seem to think that this new group can do it better based on a single press release? Really? How about seeing a little more info and a track record before jumping to that conclusion.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Registered

some brand names are starting to come to bat for sbi: chuck (broadco), jr (stihl), goddell (geico)

http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...end-2015-races
Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
I don't think anyone would care if a new organization with a great business plan popped up in the USA. Let them do the hard work and find a new race venues that can write a check, find a volunteer base and produce a quality race. Put up some big prize money and some teams will attend. No one will care... But to steal a long standing SBI race site is not cool, hence hard feelings and a new race in Marathon that will draw all the SBI teams. So how does this benefit Sarasota in the long run? I guess it's not all about the charity.

There has been funding issues in Sarasota for a while now and the race almost never was just 2 years ago.

I am betting that the money to assure the races keeps running there played a big spot and wasn't as much as just stealing it.

Just a guess.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 10-15-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
Someone was nice enough to email me some additional info. The web site is www.offshorepowerboatgp.com. Takes a lot of balls to take photos from SBI races and use them to promote your own competing race series. Not sure some of those teams shown on the new site want to be connected to this new group.

Two questions remain. Who put up the money to pay Jason's salary? Is Lucy Nicandri - Sarasota race producer - also on the payroll of this new group? I know she was the one helping to arrange for boats to go to Qatar this winter. She seems a little too involved....to have an objective opinion...if you know what I mean.

Weren't you President of OSS ? The race organization that used video footage from SBI races to promote OSS races ?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
There has been funding issues in Sarasota for a while now and the race almost never was just 2 years ago.

I am betting that the money to assure the races keeps running there played a big spot and wasn't as much as just stealing it.

Just a guess.
Suprises me that a city like Sarasota has such funding issue , and cities that dont have the racing heritage that Sarasota has dont.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.