Old 10-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is BigChubby on the casting couch?

Wanabe
Old 10-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm sure Steve or Tony could chime in and tell if it's the real deal or not.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LaughingCat
There has been ongoing talk about how Discovery (aka the Alaska Tourism channel), History, et al, have completely deviated from the stated purpose of non-fiction programming, to staging almost all fake programming to attract the ignorant masses. Sadly, they rely on the viewers' undying belief that these channels will only show non-fiction to sell their stories. They rarely explain the shows are dramatized, fabricated or completely made up. But basic internet searches not only reveal the truth, but cast doubt on the channels' futures.

Read up on the mermaid documentary to see what I'm talking about.
Well, based on the time (and $$) that I spent at the Mermaids Lounge back in the day, I'd have to agree that at least some parts of the Mermaids at the lounge were fake too... but then again, I've never been offended by D's...
Old 10-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All those shows are set up, a bud of mine was harassed weekly by American Pickers, who've actually made his collecting and resale hobby a nightmare. He refused them and told them to stop bugging him. I lived in Miami Beach for 20 years- South Beach Tow is also a bunch of crap, they're the biggest scumbags on earth, but none of that stuff is real that they do on that show.

Funny what Ryan said- staged in KW. Nice producing...
Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just watched my DVR of airplane repo, and figured there would be some kind of commotion on here. I like how they said hustler was the fastest V bottom, that should be a dead give away there that's the show show is fake. Everyone knows that ain't true, lol.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
All those shows are set up, a bud of mine was harassed weekly by American Pickers, who've actually made his collecting and resale hobby a nightmare. He refused them and told them to stop bugging him. I lived in Miami Beach for 20 years- South Beach Tow is also a bunch of crap, they're the biggest scumbags on earth, but none of that stuff is real that they do on that show.

Funny what Ryan said- staged in KW. Nice producing...
an acquaintance of mine use to buy storage lockers for years before that stupid storage wars show came around

it was always the same people at each sale and each of them was usually interested in their area (the person I knew appliances) and they generally left each other alone of they were not interested in a particular unit and there was no running up bids and sometimes they would even swap stuff or sell stuff like if one guy really wanted the appliances, but there was some decent cloths or dishes ect they did not feel like messing with they would sell off to each other.......it was not huge money for sure, but he could do OK and there was the occasional decent "score"

another person I came to know around the same time actually worked for a larger storage company in my area and he and the other guy kind of already knew each other from that.....in Texas the storage company owner can go through the locker once it is is default and all the legalese has been taken care of so generally the chances of a "score" were very limited unless it was something a storage company owner missed or did not know the value of......other states have different rules dealing with that

either way after that show came out it just got "stupid"........bids were 3X or 4X what they were before and people were just bidding hundreds of dollars for total and complete CRAP......like a locker filled with labor to throw in the dumpster and nothing more......$400 dollars!!!!......$500 dollars!!!!

for my friend it was usually something along the lines of paying $100-$200 for some things that he could touch up/polish up/get running right and then sell for $500 or $600 total after a day at the swap meet he had a booth at.......the storage owner was generally not even getting back all they were owed from the auction it was just a way to get SOME income and get the unit cleaned out at no cost.....my friend would hope to end up with some appliances he was into for probably $75 each and maybe he could get $175 or $200 each for all said and done and hopefully more than one per sale so his swap meet booth was full when he worked it.....with the show it was people seeing a washer and dryer set and a TV and bidding $400 dollars or more right off the bat.......after their time, fuel, truck, effort to sell ect they probably lost $200 dollars, but of course they had no thought about the fuel cost, truck wear and tear or their time like the people that were actually doing it to MAKE money

most of the regulars just stopped going for a long time after the show came out

Last edited by TexasVines; 10-13-2014 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:06 AM
Registered

The hustler is wild trips... Tony's boat and it was not REPO'd lol! The 37 AT is Steve's boat...

if you read the fine print in the beginning or the end of the show, it states that these are reproductions of actual repos...

SC288 and I were there all weekend watching at Harbor Shores in St. Joseph, MI... it was pretty cool to see in person. You can actually catch a glimpse of our boats at the dock too. Danny and Ken and pretty down to earth guys, had to do a double take when I passed them by the pool...lol
Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I saw the Sonic in a slip when they were walking down the docks but couldn't tell who's it was.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

The boat rescue show out of So FL is also pretty phony. Not only do they dub inboard motors sound over outboards but I talked with a Coasty that was stationed there up until this year. The way he describes it a scripted show would have been better then the train wreck they were trying to pull off. One time he said a boat was sinking with a family on board and the production crew wanted them to hold off on doing anything until they showed up.... really.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered