Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury Marine ‘Disappointed’ In Court’s Ethanol Ruling >

Mercury Marine ‘Disappointed’ In Court’s Ethanol Ruling

Notices

Mercury Marine ‘Disappointed’ In Court’s Ethanol Ruling

Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, debates occur on matter of opinion, not fact. I think everyone here has agreed upon several facts including that ethanol has some advantages. Ignoring the disadvantages and issues related to high content fuel use has been skipped over by some or blatantly ignored.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've finally got TexasVines figured out. He is a lobbyist in Washington for ethanol. OH and does not have a boat.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roger
I've finally got TexasVines figured out. He is a lobbyist in Washington for ethanol. OH and does not have a boat.
Why does it matter? he has definitely done his research. Ethanol is an issue for boaters with older equipment. It will be a non-issue with equipment designed to use it.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great answer. IT still does not change the fact that it phucks up injectors and fuel injection systems when it sits. As I stated before, no problems when you empty your tank every week of so, but when you use it in boats, weed eaters, generators, lawn mowers, chain saws, ect and you do not use them every week or so, it screws up the engines. Not to mention the many posts on here that state the separation and white powder in the tanks. I have said enough on this subject. It sucks and NOONE will ever change my mind.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:03 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Roger
Great answer. IT still does not change the fact that it phucks up injectors and fuel injection systems when it sits. As I stated before, no problems when you empty your tank every week of so, but when you use it in boats, weed eaters, generators, lawn mowers, chain saws, ect and you do not use them every week or so, it screws up the engines. Not to mention the many posts on here that state the separation and white powder in the tanks. I have said enough on this subject. It sucks and NOONE will ever change my mind.
SeaFoam or Stabil
Old 10-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a question. Not trying to start a fight or irritate, but if Ethanol is superior to MTBE, why stop at E85? Why not 100% Ethanol? My opinion, and it's just that, is that it takes MORE energy (you know that thing we are all trying to store and produce) than Corn Ethanol produces in the end. Figure in the farming (tractors, diesel, oil), heat to distill, and removal of waste and you have already USED alot of the energy before it gets mixed with the petroleum.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
Just a question. Not trying to start a fight or irritate, but if Ethanol is superior to MTBE, why stop at E85? Why not 100% Ethanol? My opinion, and it's just that, is that it takes MORE energy (you know that thing we are all trying to store and produce) than Corn Ethanol produces in the end. Figure in the farming (tractors, diesel, oil), heat to distill, and removal of waste and you have already USED alot of the energy before it gets mixed with the petroleum.
Interesting read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_..._fuel_mixtures

The Ford model T was designed to use neat ethanol (E100)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting read. It states "Anhydrous" ethanol, meaning void of water. Standard distilling methods can only distill to 90% ethanol, or 180 proof. To to remove the remaining 10% water, a catalyst (usually Anhydous Copper Sulfate, aka Dryerite) must be introduced which "wicks" the final water content out. Problem is, the chemical makeup of ethanol then becomes a "water sponge" since it is basically unstable in pure anhydrous form. I know this because in High School, my Sr chemistry project was to produce "100% alcohol" by distillation and chemical process. I basically built a still, produced 180 (or as close as possible since the distillation process is dependant upon precise temperatures), then added the anhydrous copper sulfate.

I will admit that ethanol could be a viable energy source if the raw materials were abundant (corn, or any starch, a cheap and reliable heat source and the catalyst), but then again, at the moment, there is alot more oil in the ground than we have land to grow just the corn. Someday, technology will catch up and the process will become more efficient. Today however, it is just as much a political debate as a scientific one.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

As I recall, to replace 10 gallons of gas with 10 gallons(energy equiv so actually more) of ethanol used up 10 gallons of gas in the total production process. The was no net gain. Only one study showed gain and that was when the leftover materials were used as animal feed. Either way, you burn 10 gallons of gas. Lobbyist controlled business.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vines, excellent dissertation that should complete your Doctorate. BTW Air-force one has been Renamed " Ebola Gay" , Best Regards!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.