Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Youu just never know whats under the surface of that lake - strange, sad story >

Youu just never know whats under the surface of that lake - strange, sad story

Notices

Youu just never know whats under the surface of that lake - strange, sad story

Old 10-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Youu just never know whats under the surface of that lake - strange, sad story

I saw this story over on the Camaro board that I look through from time to time. Last year at a small lake in Oklahoma, law enforcement officials were testing out new side scanning sonar equipment. They came across a big surprise when they found not one but two cars in about 12 feet of water at the end of a boat ramp, less than 50 feet from the marina. The find solved two mysteries that had hung around that town for more than four decades. One car was a 1952 Chevrolet that had been missing since the spring of 1969 with three adults inside, and the other was a 1969 Camaro that contained the remains of three local teens who had gone missing in November of 1970, less than a week after the 16 year old owner of the car had bought it.

Here is a link to the story => http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/23/us/fos...ved/index.html

I've always wondered what is hiding below the surface of the waterways that I navigate on a regular basis. This reminds me of a story from when I was a kid - in 1977 the winter was cold enough that the Ohio River in our neck of the woods completely froze over. You could literally walk across it from Kentucky to Indiana. One evening a small plane flew too close to the river and hit some power lines. It crashed through the ice and went under. They searched for the plane extensively for years after it happened, but it was never found. This was only a few miles up from the McAlpine locks and the Falls of the Ohio. Don't see any way the current could move an airplane past this point, but as far as I know, the plane has never been found.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I saw that story too. Kinda freaky to think that those people were missing for so many years and they were right there. The poor families who never knew what happened to their loved ones. On another note, surprising how in tact the Camaro is! We often put masks on and dive down to the bottom of our lake. Amazing the things we find!!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy I work with was telling me a story about a boat ramp he used to fish at, he said there was this one spot that he would always get caught on something and lose his lure. So he just started avoiding it. Well a truck and trailer slid off into the lake and when they went down to hook up chains to winch it out the diver found another vehicle behind it. They got it out too and it was covered in fishing lures. Unfortunately there was one adult and three children inside as well. Turns out a father and three children had been missing, man and wife separate, man picks up children for the weekend and never shows back up, wife figures man had ran off with children. The a hole was the one they pulled out of the lake. So sad.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Registered

In the mid 80 my buds wife's father goes to take his Scarab for its 1st springtime romp down the San Jacinto river
As he was coming into the Houston ship channel it completely exploded at 60+ blowing him airborne some 50' from the vessel. He was lucky enough to survive the blast, the impact with the drink, and was treading water when some pleasure boater picked him up and took him to his dock at home.
Insurance paid the claim and he bought a new boat.
Then 5 years later the port authorities contacted him about his boat being a hazard in the channel and he needed to pay their removal fees.
Funny thing is we still point and laugh about it passing the spot, and his badass 5 acre homesite was later sold for big bucks and is now the office and home docks of a shipping company where my twin daughter's husbands work piloting tugboats and fueling up ships with bunker oil.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 10-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I live down river from Baltimore. Hate pulling my anchor up.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeySea2
I saw that story too. Kinda freaky to think that those people were missing for so many years and they were right there. The poor families who never knew what happened to their loved ones. On another note, surprising how in tact the Camaro is! We often put masks on and dive down to the bottom of our lake. Amazing the things we find!!
Yeah, it almost looks like you could use that grille. But if you look at some of the closeups, the metal on the car was like tissue paper. As soon as it hit the air it started to disintegrate. I doubt if there was much left after they started sifting through it for clues.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered

The lake I boat in man-made and I always wonder what they left before they flooded it. I know that at one point you could see a church steeple when the water was low, but it has collapsed now.

So what else is there?
Old 10-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Raystown Lake , Pa.

http://youtu.be/Ip1mzM_MYPA
Old 10-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

They have been recovering stolen cars near Boston as an environmental issue:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...pJO/story.html

In Florida there have been a few cases like the kids in the Camaro. Go out for the night and vanish. One in Boca Raton was from the 60s/70s and the kids were in a van......vanished below the murky waters for 30+ years and a drainage district cleanup found the van.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...-investigators

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 10-26-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered

Cool video Sam. Thank for posting. Now go down an catch some Lobsters an send them to this old Coonass. Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.