Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Oil drain hose (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/319605-oil-drain-hose.html)

scottcleaver 10-29-2014 10:31 AM

Oil drain hose

What size hose fill fit down the dipstick tube on a 1999 502 MPI? 1/4"? Building my own oil change pump out system.
Thanks
Scott

Doug 10-29-2014 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]531684[/ATTACH]

Not sure about that but see if can reach your drain plug. They make drain hose you replace your plug with. I used them on my Cigarette Mistress. Installing the first time was messy but after that just run it out the drain plug in the bottom of the boat and open plug at end of hose and drain it right in your bucket. You can drain it right at the ramp parking lot while motor is still warm. Just an idea
Overton's sells them and need to check your thread size.

scottcleaver 10-29-2014 11:18 AM

Doug
thanks for the quick reply. I have the boat up on a lift and its really difficult to get to the drain plug on the back of the boat. I have everything completed except for the pick up tubing to go down the dipstick. I was hoping to pick it up on the way home from work rather than go home and measure then shop.
Scott

F-2 Speedy 10-29-2014 11:32 AM

buy both 1/4 & 5/16 cant be that much,

mbobb 10-29-2014 01:34 PM

I just changed my 454 Mag MPI the other day with a kit I have that comes with two hose sizes and I remember the bigger hose didn't fit. I'm not home to measure it but I'd bet it's the 1/4 instead of 5/16

scottcleaver 10-29-2014 02:12 PM

5/16 will not fit. 1/4 slides right down the dipstick tube. Thanks for all the help.
Scott

pro27 10-29-2014 02:37 PM

If I remember correctly the dip tube goes all the way down need hose to go over the outside of it then to your pump

HyFive578 10-30-2014 03:57 AM

A 3/8" ID fuel hose goes over the dipstick tube and makes a tight seal. Glue that inside of a larger hose and connect that to your pump. I've avoided sticking anything down the dipstick tube (other than the dipstick)... in the unlikely event, something breaks off, you're screwed..

3pointstar 10-30-2014 06:44 AM

The BEST system is the drain hose that comes out of the drain plug at the transom. I've had this for years and it's the best thing since no iron shirts! You can run the boat get the oil hotter than "satin's nards in leather pants" and when you put it on the trailer - pull over to the side- and drain the oil in a matter of minutes. no muss no fuss!!!

3pointstar

F-2 Speedy 10-30-2014 07:00 AM

in order to pull it through the dip stick tube without shoving a hose down to the bottom of the pan, the dip stick tube needs to be siliconed to the pan fitting or it will draw air, good luck