Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Rumors about Miami..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/319644-rumors-about-miami.html)

ROGMAN 10-30-2014 02:06 PM

Rumors about Miami.....

So I heard a rumor that this might be the last year of the Maimi Boat Show. Someone said that the convention center was getting tore down next year. Any truth to this........

Tom A. 10-30-2014 04:08 PM

I have been reading just the opposite. They are talking about a renovation and expansion.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...s-for-its.html

ROGMAN 10-30-2014 07:08 PM

Good to know. I was hoping it was a bunch of crap.

pstorti 10-30-2014 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ROGMAN (Post 4211552)
So I heard a rumor that this might be the last year of the Maimi Boat Show. Someone said that the convention center was getting tore down next year. Any truth to this........

At some point the whole area will get redone, hopefully they don't screw it up, there is just to much valuable real estate sitting there for the powers that be to leave it alone. Our new mayor is pretty good though.

BUP 10-31-2014 10:43 AM

Heck it is already screwed up, they need to unscrew it up, between traffic jams in the whole city, to the crappiest Airport in the USA, to construction, parking, cost to park, scammer towing services and their little little rat spotters to some of where in hell did some of these people come from just hanging around the city and beach.

The boatshow still is good, not great like it use to be. Ever year it seems less of enjoyable and too many center console boats with egg beaters. even now wakeboard boats & Jetskis out number sportboats. Jeepers boats with tape on graphics, heck I can build that. The expansion is too see how more Center Console boats they can fit into the Convention Center. Even Statement Boats did not have their dog and pony show last time out and they were the life of the party for some.. Will say Hustler and Cig still have a great display. I like the old school Miami boatshow better. Just my 2c

Forgot 7 Marine has a great display as well and of course mercruiser to add to the list.

Matt Trulio 10-31-2014 10:55 AM

I haven not spoken with city officials, but from people in the marine industry have told me the show will still go on in 2016, just not in the convention center. I also have been told that the show return when the project is complete, but again, I have not spoken to any official representative of the city of Miami.

Where will the show go in 2016? I've heard several strategies, none I have been able to confirm (frankly, been a bit busy with advance coverage of Key West). This definitely is a story Jason Johnson and I at speedonthewater.com will follow as it develops.

Nate5.0 10-31-2014 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by BUP (Post 4211997)
Heck it is already screwed up, they need to unscrew it up, between traffic jams in the whole city, to the crappiest Airport in the USA, to construction, parking, cost to park, scammer towing services and their little little rat spotters to some of where in hell did some of these people come from just hanging around the city and beach.

The boatshow still is good, not great like it use to be. Ever year it seems less of enjoyable and too many center console boats with egg beaters. even now wakeboard boats & Jetskis out number sportboats. Jeepers boats with tape on graphics, heck I can build that. The expansion is too see how more Center Console boats they can fit into the Convention Center. Even Statement Boats did not have their dog and pony show last time out and they were the life of the party for some.. Will say Hustler and Cig still have a great display. I like the old school Miami boatshow better. Just my 2c

Forgot 7 Marine has a great display as well and of course mercruiser to add to the list.

So the builders should load the show with performance boat to appease the few and not the mass. Load up on show boats and not boats that sell and move the product?

You brought up Statement and wouldn't you know there was an article just a day ago about why they don't do the dog and pony show inside anymore......it doesn't sell boats.

I get it we all want to see the biggest and baddest but at the same time the builders are there to move what sells and keeps the brand alive and growing.

Page 34
http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...e-of-statement

ROGMAN 10-31-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 4212004)
I haven not spoken with city officials, but from people in the marine industry have told me the show will still go on in 2016, just not in the convention center. I also have been told that the show return when the project is complete, but again, I have not spoken to any official representative of the city of Miami.

Where will the show go in 2016? I've heard several strategies, none I have been able to confirm (frankly, been a bit busy with advance coverage of Key West). This definitely is a story Jason Johnson and I at speedonthewater.com will follow as it develops.

So, apparently there is some truth to that rumor!!!!!

pstorti 10-31-2014 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by BUP (Post 4211997)

Honestly I think the boat show is a run of the mill event for the city, and any plans for the convention center/ accommodations will most likely not take the boat show into account. They are going to build whatever will generate the most revenue for the city. The boat show will have to work with what they build not the other way around. As a local the boat show chaos is the only time it doesn't bother me, the rest of these events are a clusterf**k and traffic gets worse and worse every year. Also for you out of towners you come and see the city when it is busiest, everybody and there brother comes down here from October to March!

27Fountain 11-02-2014 05:31 AM

Did a little research there is a 500 million design build project to expand the convention center and parking. It's a 2 year project during that time 1/2 the center will be operational at any given time. The city of Miami is committed to keeping the boat show in Miami during the construction. It also appears that Miami was Knocked out of the bid for the super bowl because you have to guarantee a certain amounts of hotel rooms for 3 weekend in Feb and they could not do that the weekend of the boat show. The boat show is a manger financial access to the city.