Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Velocity/regal/thoroughbred/velocity??? >

Velocity/regal/thoroughbred/velocity???

Notices

Velocity/regal/thoroughbred/velocity???

Old 08-29-2002, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Velocity/regal/thoroughbred/velocity???

What year(s) did REGAL build the 22' AND was the name change to THOROUGHBRED because of naming rights OR...????AND what year(s) were they called THOROUGHBRED...???? In other words, do any of you "SMAAAT BASTIDS" know the history & chronology of these events and any stories that apply...???? I thank you for your anticipated educated responses.........!!
Old 08-29-2002, 10:52 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Find Bob Powell. This guy knows his Velocity/Thouroughbred history. His screen name is his name.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:22 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

HEY RA...Thanx for that lead...I was begining to think I was a leper or something!!! THANX>>>>>
Old 08-30-2002, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..as far as I know..Stepp sold "Velocity" with the 22' and 30' molds to Regal around 86..??

..he then started Thoroughbred with different/new molds..

..decided to buy "Velocity" back, but had to destroy the 30 molds in the deal..not sure of the year..(fyi..my new ride is an 89 Thoroughbred).

..that's a little bit about it!..how that helps..
Old 08-30-2002, 07:58 AM
Miami

To the best of my limited knowledge

Regal wants sport boats - buys Velocity with owner ( Steve Stepp ) to stay on to run division - coporate big wigs start cost cutting and cheapen Stepp's product - after a couple of years Stepp walks out in dicust - lawyers tell him it will take years in the couts to get his name back - modifies hulls slightly & decks majorly - forms new company Thoroughbred Powerboats ( his Dad was into horses ) - produces 22', 26', 35' & 41' boats - four or five years later wins court case and has the Velocity name back.

I beleive his 30' hull was the first V hull to break the 100mph barrier.

Old 08-30-2002, 08:05 AM
Registered

Just happened to be the worlds largest Regal dealer during that time. Around 1986 Regal wanted to have a sport boat line and entered into agreement with Velocity. The venture was short lived as they were building the boats as if they were driven by mom-pop-and the kids.

In short the Hi-performance boaters thought they bought a Steve Stepp boat and ran it as one. Things began to break, speeds were not up to par and both Regal and the Public lost interest. Then came the poor economy in the late 80's which put the final nail in that coffin.

Thourobred poped up right about the same time as the Regal demise. I assume the royalty payments must have stopped from regal. Maybe Steve can further enlighten us all !
Old 08-30-2002, 08:28 AM
Miami

Hey Bosco - what's the deal with the new 38????????

pictures, speed, availability - we are all dying to know!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2002, 08:48 AM
Registered

Thanx Bosco,Miami,& Bodyshot for the info, but I REALLY have to know the YEAR(S) they were sold/built by Regal...I am halfassed looking at a 1990 22' on E-bay (#1853383063 fyi) and it looks like a Regal product...IE:front seats,the V graphic, & upholstery in general doesn't look like a STEPP product...Also, are those gel blisters all over the transom??? I'd call Steve but I KNOW this is a sore subject with him...BTW: Did you know he can hit a golf ball almost 475 yards??? FYI Bodyshot, I saw the pix of your new "STALLION", VERY NICE you LUCKY BASTID!!!! THANX for the help........IS BOB POWELL IN THE HOUSE?????????????
Old 08-30-2002, 09:06 AM
GRH

A 1990 22' is definitely a REGAL boat.....

Old 08-30-2002, 10:01 AM
Registered

Velocitoy,
There was a more detailed thread on this very subject in the Velocity section a while back. Wish I could remember it all. Post a picture, you can usually tell by looking at them. Wish I could be more help.

Brian

Quick Reply: Velocity/regal/thoroughbred/velocity???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.