2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon >

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 10-31-2014, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Omni Present
Sounds like fun but I'm a least a year or two away from stepping up to that 36' or bigger class that could really make that type of event fun and not just a ass whopping. However if you did say a Long Island sound leg for say 27' to 30' IO's & Outboards that may add some interest?
First we are trying to determine who is interested in the Around Long Island portion. The best way to get some real offshore racing experience is to jump in and do it.

You are the only one who determines how hard or fast your boat has to run. Run a smart race and it will be a great experience and worth some bragging rights. That will give you a great foundation to step up to a bigger class in a few years.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Ours is a vee bottom, what's that record?
Old 10-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered

Scarab 63, yes we remember we had a small boat count in the past that is why we are doing this.

If you are interested and you will only race if a certain number of boats enter, post that and then everyone will know you are in .......based on a number count.

What modern day racers don't realize is to just finish one of these real Open Ocean Offshore races from the past is a big deal. There are many famous racers of the past that never finished this race back in the day when it was run.

If you have confidence in your boating ability and your boat, you are welcome to join and have a great time.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Ours is a vee bottom, what's that record?
I think that was set in our last race, by a 43 foot Outerlimits with Ilmors at just over 3 hours.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Registered

Looks like we have a Cigarette 42 interested also.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Scarab 63, yes we remember we had a small boat count in the past that is why we are doing this.

If you are interested and you will only race if a certain number of boats enter, post that and then everyone will know you are in .......based on a number count.

What modern day racers don't realize is to just finish one of these real Open Ocean Offshore races from the past is a big deal. There are many famous racers of the past that never finished this race back in the day when it was run.

If you have confidence in your boating ability and your boat, you are welcome to join and have a great time.
i am intrigued and have expressed so in the past.i have a reliable, not fast, but reliable boat. i sent a pm to privately express my concerns. yes its a lot of $ for reg and fuel burn so id be more so interested if theres a certain number of entrants and has a race like vibe to it. like i said in my pm. i don't want to run just to be out there going around the island with two other boats burning $1500 worth of fuel, and return to a boat ramp / marina with a dozen people who even know there was a race. i mean all this with 0 disrespect, that's why I p.m.'ed

decent boat count and Id be in. 4 boats and ill read about it. ill keep an eye on things as they progress.
I guess this is a chicken / egg thing......

Good luck

Last edited by scarab63; 10-31-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
i am intrigued and have expressed so in the past.i have a reliable, not fast, but reliable boat. i sent a pm to privately express my concerns. yes its a lot of $ for reg and fuel burn so id be more so interested if theres a certain number of entrants and has a race like vibe to it. like i said in my pm. i don't want to run just to be out there going around the island with two other boats burning $1500 worth of fuel, and return to a boat ramp / marina with a dozen people who even know there was a race. i mean all this with 0 disrespect, that's why I p.m.'ed

decent boat count and Id be in. 4 boats and ill read about it. ill keep an eye on things as they progress.
I guess this is a chicken / egg thing......

Good luck
No problem, we understand that is why we are trying to get people to let us know what it would take for them to compete.

Just raised an old thread by T2X titled .....A tale of heroes, today and yesterday......it covers the first ALI we did in 2010 and how that was won by a 30 foot Sonic with small blocks and Alpha drives, it is worth a read for sure.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would potentially be interested unless it takes place the weekend of August 15/16.. and have the same concerns as scarab63. I'd be happy to spend the dough and the time if it's a well attended event..
Old 10-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
First we are trying to determine who is interested in the Around Long Island portion. The best way to get some real offshore racing experience is to jump in and do it.

You are the only one who determines how hard or fast your boat has to run. Run a smart race and it will be a great experience and worth some bragging rights. That will give you a great foundation to step up to a bigger class in a few years.

I completely agree and would love to compete maybe take on a partner and build a purpose built runner for something like this or invest in Quicklt1's boat for a chance to get some wheel time in a race like this. My personal boat is more set up for weekend warrior runs and cocktail hour/ sunset dinner chasing! wish you well and will be following and difinitely cheering the racers along there route.the Farrari/Massaretti boat was kept near my home in Sag Harbor loved watching them do runs definitely something to shoot for if not this year on my bucket list.......
Old 10-31-2014, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I think this is too disorganized and will not get the commitments because there is no commitment.

Keep it simple....set up a website, give the event a name, get a sponsor to put up $5k cash prize, outline whats going on, set up minimal rules, make 2 classes (under 30' and over 31' no cats), maximum HP, set 2 proposed dates TBD in July, they must register on or before June, require a $100 refundable deposit, the most popular date winning, no black flags, race rain or shine. Etc, etc, etc...

KEEP IT SIMPLE AND FUN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.