Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cms slingshots start 1st race kw hits 2 boats >

Cms slingshots start 1st race kw hits 2 boats

Notices

Cms slingshots start 1st race kw hits 2 boats

Old 11-07-2014, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty clear from the picture they barged through the center, I see no signs of attempting to go around. Just because its racing doesn't mean you have the right to ram your way past someone, IMO they should have been DQ'd from the race, toddled out of the pits and sent home. KW has had to many tragedies to allow this type of **** to go on..
Old 11-07-2014, 05:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike A.
Sorry ICU Looking, there is no way to conclude anything from this photograph, other than the Fountain and CMS collided. The photo also suggests that the three boats were on totally different lines. In fact, you can see that the outside chine of the port sponson on A&A is in contact with the water which suggests it was turning to starboard.

To know what happened you would need onboard video from the three boats. Video from inside the cockpit of CMS would give the best perspective. My best guess is that there was a clear hole between the Fountain and A&A, CMS attempted to charge through it at a much higher rate of speed to get to the pace boat, the A&A crew unwittingly closed the hole by drifting over to their right without checking their mirrors, they hit, and knocked CMS into the Fountain.

At the end of the day, the fault lies with the starter. You cannot throw the green before all of the boats are on the line, especially if there is a huge disparity between the top speeds and acceleration rates of the boats in the start. Just think about it. The pace boat takes off and throws the green right away before all the boats are in line - which it did. You have a top team in CMS that can accelerate to 150mph in the blink of an eye and they pour the coals to the motors to catch up to the other boats. They pick a line between A&A and the Fountain and go. At first there is plenty of room, but suddenly A&A moves over, perhaps to avoid the wake of the other CMS, perhaps because they think the old dog leg right leaving the harbor to turn 1 is still there, or maybe just because. Regardless, if they do not check their mirrors, or their spotter does not say anything before moving over, and CMS is already up to speed, then a collision is going to occur. Shoot, there could have been a 20-50 mph speed difference between the boats at the time, and with no brakes a collision would be unavoidable.

Knowing what I know, that scenario seems far more likely than a 12' wide CMS just trying to blast its way through a 10' wide space between two boats just 'cause. Hopefully, tomorrow the starters will be more patient. Let everyone line up before throwing the green.
LMAO, yeah they are turning to stbd Mike. But they weren't turning the wheel I bet, they were clearly pushed...
Old 11-07-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

LOL. Uh, federal rules of the road do not apply to offshore powerboat racing, number one. Number two, where are the "series of photographs" you refer to because they would be helpful. Number three, you might not want to see the video to draw your conclusions but anyone truly wanting to know what happened would definitely want to as video would be THE best evidence. Because as you acknowledge, if one of the other two boats made a drastic coursechange then that crew is at least partially at fault. Good discussion though.
Great discussion.

http://superboat.com/wp-content/uplo...es-3-4-141.pdf

Sbi rules. Page 42. Section E #2. Clearly states leaving room in a passing (formerly overtaking) situation.

This picture shows the cms behind the fountain at least. Damage on the A&A boat is on stbd quarter. All pretty convincing that CMS pushed up in the middle of those 2.
Attached Thumbnails Cms slingshots start 1st race kw hits 2 boats-image.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

I think it was a brilliant move. Eliminate two boats right out of the gate.

carry on
Old 11-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

ballzie maneuver,just glad it its only damaged fiberglass.pics are a great photo op.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott B
LMAO, yeah they are turning to stbd Mike. But they weren't turning the wheel I bet, they were clearly pushed...
So who pushed them? The boat on the outside of them, which I believe was JT and Jeff Harris, is the only one that could have, but I have not heard anyone claim that is what happened and there has been no video showing that either. Again, I have been doing accident construction for many, many, years and there is no competent person who can determine what happened in an accident from a single photograph. Also, having run a sanctioning body before, I can tell you that you cannot throw someone out of the event without conducting a full review of all the evidence. It is not an easy thing to do I can assure you. But the one thing you can't do is make a rash decision based on one picture.

Last edited by Mike A.; 11-07-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
ballzie maneuver,just glad it its only damaged fiberglass.pics are a great photo op.

Now THIS I can agree with!
Old 11-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Now THIS I can agree with!
The new 52' is a heavy layup "enforcer" boat lol
Old 11-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Great discussion.

http://superboat.com/wp-content/uplo...es-3-4-141.pdf

Sbi rules. Page 42. Section E #2. Clearly states leaving room in a passing (formerly overtaking) situation.

This picture shows the cms behind the fountain at least. Damage on the A&A boat is on stbd quarter. All pretty convincing that CMS pushed up in the middle of those 2.
This rule does not apply to starts. It actually involves how boats are to negotiate turns in an overtaking situation. (I actually have a ton of personal experience with that rule.) A fast boat running at speed coming through KW Harbor cannot hit the breaks, or make an evasive maneuver without endangering many, many, lives. This is precisely why a starter should NEVER throw a green flag until all boats are lined up.

Again, a single photo shows nothing except what it shows in that precise moment of time. You cannot draw any legitimate conclusions as to what led up to the picture. That is why the best evidence is video.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

I would bet theres more friction on the website here then there is in the pits over this. Ruffled feathers I'm sure but at the end of the day no one (especially CMS) is there to bash there way to a win. Its racing and sh!t happens sometimes, unless you've been there you have no idea how quickly these things unfold (especially in KW) and your trying to dice your way through it. No picture or video is ever gonna put you in the cockpit. . . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.