Turbine-Powered Statement Marine 50’ Cat Burns During FPC Key West Run

Notices

Turbine-Powered Statement Marine 50’ Cat Burns During FPC Key West Run

Old 11-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 285 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Kings11
Out of my limited turbine knowledge - NO! We are allowed to run 100 octane Low leaded fuel "Av Gas" for a maximum of around 10-15 hours on a one time ferry flight under very strict limitations. No matter what happens immediate rebuild of all the turbines must occur. Now that's not to say these turbines aren't massively tuned differently, and can handle it but to my knowledge it's a no. Also I know from being at the 1000 Islands poker run, My Way has had trucks parked at various stops for more turbine friendly fuel.

To me it doesn't make sense to risk the turbines when they are so expensive to rebuild.
Yes you are correct, you can run the turbines with gas and certain amount of oil mixed with it. Say 100 gallons of gas and a couple quarts of oil.

With that said, I highly doubt that fuel was the issue here.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can run straight gas in PT6's for a limited amount of documented time (in aircraft) but it will take it's toll. Turbines will just about burn anything.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Yes you are correct, you can run the turbines with gas and certain amount of oil mixed with it. Say 100 gallons of gas and a couple quarts of oil.

With that said, I highly doubt that fuel was the issue here.

It wasn't engine failure at all.

Broken drive shaft that split/damaged a fuel line in the engine bay and started the fire.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
It wasn't engine failure at all.

Broken drive shaft that split/damaged a fuel line in the engine bay and started the fire.
that could start a fire on any boat, luckily nobody was hurt
Old 11-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
that could start a fire on any boat, luckily nobody was hurt
Much less likely if it was running diesel. Can't they run on that?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I run all diesel all the time.

I have two sets of drive shafts, and swap/rebuild them every spring. I also inspect for any leaks every time I put it in and take it out.. I had a few leaks this spring, so Turbine Motorsports replaced every line and fitting in the bilges..

My boat may burn just like the rest, but I feel like an intense maintenance program, like mine, is the only answer.

Tom
Old 11-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Do you have sheilds/retainers around the driveshafts?
Old 11-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Registered

One thing I noticed , they were not cooling the exhaust with water like I have seen on all the other turbine boats. I would think with the added heat from the gas and no water cooling it down, that is a recipe for disaster.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, it would take a pretty serious faileure to have the drive shaft get out of the sheilds on my boat.

My exhaust isn't water cooled, but it's wrapped in ceramic... You can put your hand on it while it's running.

Tom
Old 11-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tborisch
I run all diesel all the time.

I have two sets of drive shafts, and swap/rebuild them every spring. I also inspect for any leaks every time I put it in and take it out.. I had a few leaks this spring, so Turbine Motorsports replaced every line and fitting in the bilges..

My boat may burn just like the rest, but I feel like an intense maintenance program, like mine, is the only answer.

Tom
Once again limited servicing of turbines/air craft knowledge, structures guy here. This is the way we run our birds up north - seems like the only way to run it in a boat. You have a beautiful boat and I hope to make a trip down south some day or you to the 1000 Islands poker run to see her run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.