Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later. >

MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later.

Notices

MDC Drive Guardian Update- One Year Later.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I built a 850hp blower motor last winter that went in a 29 Warlock World Class. Installed a drive guardian and a XR drive. About his 3rd trip out with the boat, it broke a tooth off an upper gear while getting on plane. Not blaming the DG at all, I think they are a wonderful piece, but the gears can still break. I doubt that he was anywhere close to max torque when the gear broke, therefore the DG could do nothing for him.

On a brighter note, I installed a new XR upper and he beat the snot out of it the rest of the summer with no failures.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

850HP is an amazing nummber for an XR!
I will not do so much.But i think it can handle the 662Ci very well for some years!
Michael
Old 03-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
get someone that has a twin engine Bravo app - and if they are buying the DG install one only. Maybe OSO members donate some money to the person doing the testing. If we had 100 people and each gave 50 to 100 bucks person that would be 5 K to 10 K. Find a trust worthy person with a twin Bravo app - and both bravo's apples to apples time on them or even new. Just saying
why would anyone donate money. If the owners of DG really want to push product, it’s incumbent on them to market them. If that means free give aways then so be it.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:43 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

I believe thats why they sponsored 4-5 raceboats. Ours being one of them. Whats the difference between a year with DG versus a year without DG and running one engine with one engine without, BUP? We ran the same schedule, props, engines, competition, ect.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
I believe thats why they sponsored 4-5 raceboats. Ours being one of them. Whats the difference between a year with DG versus a year without DG and running one engine with one engine without, BUP? We ran the same schedule, props, engines, competition, ect.
I’ve only opened up one drive after it had a dg installed, showed the same wear on the gear set as it did before. In this instance it is not extending the drive life, but this particular boat didn’t tend to break parts before. Just wore the gear sets out
Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd

I’ve only opened up one drive after it had a dg installed, showed the same wear on the gear set as it did before. In this instance it is not extending the drive life, but this particular boat didn’t tend to break parts before. Just wore the gear sets out
Wear, yes. We still had wear on our gears too. But the pits, dents, chunks etc were all gone. As we stated at the beginning of the thread, it won't make gears last forever and it wont make a Bravo an M6, but in our case it took a ton of abuse out of our setup. Instead of rebuilding every 3 races, we're at once a year (6-7 races).
The harder you run, the more benefit you'll reap from the DG. Sounds good to me
Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 AM
Registered

We wouldn't leave the dock without it. Have had tremendous success running the DG on our Bravo set-up in the race boat. No more twisted shafts. No failures of gears.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Registered

Hello
I have mount my engine yesterday and use alignmend tool from merc to adjust!
I can pull in and out of the Dg with one finger
Today i try to mount an XR new out of the Box but i get no chance to mount.
Can pull maybe one inch in the DG and end. I checked 3 time if all is clear with adjustment and found nothing wrong!
I then look for the inner diameter of the DG and found out it is nearly 1mm more (put 26,6mm nut in) than the merc tool(25,7mm) to adjust the motor!
I am pretty shure that the adjustment from the engine is the problem as with merc tool that is so small its a toygame to adjust the engine right!
what way have you adjust your engines with DG?????#
Hope i can get fast help to make my boat ready.!
Michael

Last edited by Brembofreak; 05-10-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brembofreak
Hello
I have mount my engine yesterday and use alignmend tool from merc to adjust!
I can pull in and out of the Dg with one finger
Today i try to mount an XR new out of the Box but i get no chance to mount.
Can pull maybe one inch in the DG and end. I checked 3 time if all is clear with adjustment and found nothing wrong!
I then look for the inner diameter of the DG and found out it is nearly 1mm more (put 26,6mm nut in) than the merc tool(25,7mm) to adjust the motor!
I am pretty shure that the adjustment from the engine is the problem as with merc tool that is so small its a toygame to adjust the engine right!
what way have you adjust your engines with DG?????#
Hope i can get fast help to make my boat ready.!
Michael
We use the Merc tool and an old input shaft to double check.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:58 AM
Registered

Alignment with merc tool was perfect!I can hold with one finger and slide in and out!
But new drive will not fit.No wonder as there is a diffrence from 1mm from tool to DG!
Problem is i have no old shaft in fast time here! real a problem for me know!****!
Michael

Last edited by Brembofreak; 05-11-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.