Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   MyWay II. What the hell is he doing. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/32087-myway-ii-what-hell-he-doing.html)

ronrally 08-31-2002 08:31 PM

MyWay II. What the hell is he doing.

I've been fortunate enough to cross paths with the new MyWay several times now on the St. Lawrence, but today takes the cake. I saw him coming up the Canadian Side between the 1000 islands bridge and Brockville. Then he came by again and again and again. Finally I realized that he was buzzing his other boat 'HerWay'. I came in close and saw some really big camera equipment on board. They must have hired professional photographers. Tomlinson drove the MyWay about 50 feet off the nose of HerWay back and forth for nearly an entire hour. It was f***ed up. The parade of power last weekend was 1/4 mile off shore. This was a stones throw from the bow of my boat. He had to be doing at least as fast as last weekend (170 mph+). Nobody can truly appreciate that until they see it up close flat out. The noise is just like an airshow. I wonder if it was a shoot for powerboat magazine or something. When the boat slowed, I saw the Minds in Motion crew on board. I'll try to get a hold of them for some pictures. One guy on HerWay video taping I think. Some avi. files please, if you're out there?

Anybody else see this free show?

Ron.

MindsInMotion 08-31-2002 09:31 PM

Yeah... I was there.

The photographers were actually from National Geographic. I was the guy on the boat with the camcorder. I'll post some avi. files tomorrow.

I've read a lot of your posts, Ron. You seem to know a lot about MyWay. Here's the facts. My partners and I started working on the boat around March. We designed, built, and installed just about everything in the engine compartment that didn't come from a factory. Yes, we did build the exhaust, and those 'sweet intakes' as you describe them. We love to hear positive feed back like that. Many hours of research went into that system. And buiding it was a bit of a trick. I'm sure that Mr. Tomlinson would like to keep the specifics a secret for now. He hates to get passed, though I'm pretty sure that it's never happened. Certainly not with the new boat anyway.

Today was awesome. The photographers were very surprised. Bill was 'buzzing' us at around 150 mph. Very difficult to catch a close-up picture. The sound will change your life.

Jon

Ron P 09-01-2002 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bring it on!!!

MindsInMotion 09-01-2002 05:36 AM

Jet Set?

Nice flames. Is that a North-American boat? If so, why did we not see it at the 1000 Islands poker run?

Shanghied Again 09-01-2002 09:58 AM

Jet Set has been around for a long time he is from the NJ area, The only poker run he may do is NY and thats rare! He has one of the fastest if not the fastest Skater in this country at a top speed in the 190s with more throttle to go. He is also known to throw a 20ft flame out the back of boat boat in show biz mode!
My wife went for a ride with him and loved it.

NW_Jim 09-01-2002 04:47 PM

MindsInMotion

Is it tommorow yet? Where's the AVI's? :D

MindsInMotion 09-02-2002 12:21 PM

Sorry!

I'm about ready to pull my friggin' hair out. I spent three hours last night trying to convert the video to digital format. Finally we got everything set up right and recorded 4 nice clips, about 30 seconds each. When I got home and popped the cd in, the files were not recognized. I love windows xp, but what the hell? It's a simple mp2 file. My system says that I don't have the right codec, but microsoft says that I do. Anybody have any ideas?

In any event, I swear that I'll go to the end of the earth if need be to convert these files. You will see them soon I hope.

Just to keep your mouth watering, this morning the Tomlinson boys set a new personal best of 175 mph! Apparently they were taking a couple other people out for a ride at the time. Feel sorry for those guys. I was in it at 163 mph on Saturday and I didn't like it a bit. It's pretty smooth, but I guess I'm not a very good passenger.:(

Jon

NW_Jim 09-02-2002 02:25 PM

MIM, I don't ride well either. I've been about 110 in a 36 Skater but I trusted the driver very much.

You might try downloading Divx if you don't have it. It helped me with some Codec issues.

http://www.divx.com/divx/

ps you might want to look at your signature.

When the river bears it's ugly face, just remeber ... it's only a reflection. Quit leaning over the side of the boat.
That is unless you have a bad cold. :D

Ron P 09-02-2002 05:20 PM

They got a long way to go. I saw 195mph in Jet Set and he had something left.

MindsInMotion 09-03-2002 06:24 PM

Jim

Thanks for pointing out the typo in 'remember'. Up until this weekend I had never broken 60 mph on the water. 110 would have been enough for me. My brother in law, Ken, was on the throttles. I trust him, but can you really trust 100000 little mechanical bits and pieces running together at that speed? I put the engines in the boat, so I know first hand what makes it tick. Frankly it scares the hell out of me. But, that's why I'm not an offshore racer. Well, that and the fact that I don't have ten million bucks in the bank!