Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
*** Looking for GLADIATOR for sale*** >

*** Looking for GLADIATOR for sale***

Notices

*** Looking for GLADIATOR for sale***

Old 12-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but dont any step bottom hall with a good size pad have the risk of the spine and roll. .... isnt the main factor when the bow drops and hooks in either direction do to wave wake or driver f up in some sort... I seen a 39 tgu roll i think two years back and was sead to be only doing 50 ish if I remember correctly. That dont mean all them halls suck....just bad luck I gess.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 3,010 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
Correct me if I am wrong but dont any step bottom hall with a good size pad have the risk of the spine and roll. .... isnt the main factor when the bow drops and hooks in either direction do to wave wake or driver f up in some sort... I seen a 39 tgu roll i think two years back and was sead to be only doing 50 ish if I remember correctly. That dont mean all them halls suck....just bad luck I gess.
There was a learning curve in the early 2000's with aggressively stepped boats. We learned not to tuck the drives in a turn like what had been done forever in offshore boating. Many boats rolled in the early 2000's while figuring out the new technology. It's no shock a handful of glads rolled. They were aggressively set up and new in the early 2000's. Just a question but with just as many gladiators out there today as there was in the early 2000's (I don't think there's been one gladiator lost throughout all the years) and having seen them change hands throughout the years (new drivers) - How often do you see them roll now?? It's been a loooooooooong time since I've heard of a gladiator rolling. If it was a design flaw, they'd keep rolling!!!

Learning curve on how to drive them. Bottom line.

Last edited by thisistank; 12-18-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to look at a 34 Phantom. It also is a sitdown.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered

That 39 tg unlimited was a beautiful boat too but the main thing is everyone was ok. He was a good and sober captain. I have friends that knew him. Here is the recovery video
http://youtu.be/NUQ6m9I1iVg

Last edited by 1989mach1; 12-18-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Registered

all I am sayin is just because they role doesn't mean they r bad boats.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

I know of a few Donzi 33zx and 45zx that have rolled also..........There was a 33zx on our local inland Torch Lake that hooked, rolled, and sank. Top deck sheared off. Sad that they died. Then some kid buys it up, fixes it, and pretends he's a baller.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
There was a learning curve in the early 2000's with aggressively stepped boats. We learned not to tuck the drives in a turn like what had been done forever in offshore boating. Many boats rolled in the early 2000's while figuring out the new technology. It's no shock a handful of glads rolled. They were aggressively set up and new in the early 2000's. Just a question but with just as many gladiators out there today as there was in the early 2000's (I don't think there's been one gladiator lost throughout all the years) and having seen them change hands throughout the years (new drivers) - How often do you see them roll now?? It's been a loooooooooong time since I've heard of a gladiator rolling. If it was a design flaw, they'd keep rolling!!!

Learning curve on how to drive them. Bottom line.
Well put! I agree, I wouold not hesitate to buy a Gladiator, if ther was one I wanted to buy, ealier in this thread ther was a picture of 2009 Gladiator with Mercury 700's and NXT Drives, that is a beautiful boat, the asking price is alot coin, but what a sharp boat, I would love to won that boat, I would think twice about the issue of rolling or spinning out.

On a non-related point, everytime I see you name "thisistank" I have this visual image of Tank Abbott the MMA fighet or Tank Murdoch from the Clint Eastwood movie "Every Which Way But Loose." With a name like Tank do you have some fighting skills? How did you get that nickname?
Attached Thumbnails *** Looking for GLADIATOR for sale***-tank-murdock.png  
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Registered

The zx has a big plate on it and it can happen to any steped boat.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 3,010 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarty
Well put! I agree, I wouold not hesitate to buy a Gladiator, if ther was one I wanted to buy, ealier in this thread ther was a picture of 2009 Gladiator with Mercury 700's and NXT Drives, that is a beautiful boat, the asking price is alot coin, but what a sharp boat, I would love to won that boat, I would think twice about the issue of rolling or spinning out.

On a non-related point, everytime I see you name "thisistank" I have this visual image of Tank Abbott the MMA fighet or Tank Murdoch from the Clint Eastwood movie "Every Which Way But Loose." With a name like Tank do you have some fighting skills? How did you get that nickname?
10.5 lbs when I was born.

Any which way but loose and every which way but loose were great movies!! "right turn Clyde!"