Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DirecTv 220
Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Really 4 pages and nobody said Kramer yet ??? Lol
I love cigs, not a fountain fan at all, but ya gotta admit fountain went after speed in a big way, did whatever it took, make it light, loose and scary but fast lol.
How many boats did don himself actually design?
Reggie?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I would argue that I've never heard one person say a fountain was loose and scary. I've spoken with many who actually claim the exact opposite. Light is debatable as well. 9000-9500 dry isn't exactly a light 35. Just because they aren't as heavy as some of the older boats doesn't mean they are "light".
Old 12-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reggie was a competitor, cared about is boats, but very seldom was he too busy to stop and talk boats. Cannot think of a time that I was at a Poker Run, Boat Show, or at the factory in NC, no matter how busy he was, that he wouldn't stop and answer a question. I don't mean a one word answer, he would explain how different things interact.
Never met Aronow, some of you did, some have met both Reggie and Aronow, If you want a true picture of someone's talent talk to his competitors. When Reggie started racing tunnel boats, he dominated, listen to what the Seebold's and Earl Bentz say about him. These were in their day, the top tunnel boat racers of that period. When Reggie stepped up to V bottom racing what happened then? His boats were winning in every class, and sanctioning body.
Aronow was the first and deserves all the credit for getting the Performance Boat Industry rolling. But nobody, raised the bar as far as Reggie, you may not have agreed with how he did it. Did he piss off some folks, yep, did he ruffle some industry feathers.... a lot! But he did build the Fastest, Safest, Best Handling Powerboats for a very long time.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to special. Finally something for the power boating world.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I would argue that I've never heard one person say a fountain was loose and scary. I've spoken with many who actually claim the exact opposite. Light is debatable as well. 9000-9500 dry isn't exactly a light 35. Just because they aren't as heavy as some of the older boats doesn't mean they are "light".
I'm talking the race boats as far as real light. And a 35 on the side of a 35 cafe is tiny, it has to be lighter. No way they are 9500 lbs. And some of the small 27-29's keep gaining speed as you trim them up and get them loose. From what I've heard though the 38-42's are not loose at all. Handle very well at speed.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I was not impressed at all with the ass beating in a 38 Fountain I took on Lake Erie, fast hull yes, but for the great lakes, at least west end of Erie I was not impressed.. thats just my experience, but to me almost all stepped hulls ride "light" there is much less boat in the water so it's gonna, hence the speed...I read a lot about iffy rigging also and cabins coming apart....

Guys will argue that the production Fountain is build exactly the same and as stiff as a race boat, thats just not true for any builder.... just because Don was into money and the drug scene does not mean he didn't care about boats, if Reggie lived in Miami at the time I bet things may have been different also....that time was the biggest in the drug world...
Old 12-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

Let me edit* have you seen the kilo video of Reggie? For a 40+ ' boat that plucking thing was loose!!! Lol
Old 12-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Red. Snoop around Tim on here scaled his 35 ex. Weight was impressive and by that I mean heavier than you'd think. A lot of people don't give enough credit to the hull efficiency.

Found it.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...les-today.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.